1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I have YouTube guitar fatigue

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 15, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My YouTube feed suggested a video that looked cool but as soon as I saw the author, a well known content creator/personality, I skipped it. I'm finding that the case more and more. Too many guys talk too much, offer opinions rather than play and educate.
    I still like anything that Andy does although I miss his ProGuitarShop.com presentations. I like James James, who mostly plays rather than instructs but it's still more guitar than talk. I also like Marty Music's teaching videos. I don't like it when these guys invite other guitarist and they fawn all over each other.
    In short, I like the guys who make it about the music.
    It's just a grumpy old man day here in NE Florida.

Newbcaster, Oxidao, JL_LI and 4 others like this.
  2. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

3. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Effective public speaking is a skill.

Few youtube personalities have it.

If playing guitar is what you're good at, do that.

If you can't get through two sentences without a bunch of, "um," you should just play guitar.

If you start your video with, "Hey everybody, what's up?" you should just play guitar.

If you're making up your dialog as you go because it's too much work to plan and rehearse, you should just play guitar.

If what you're saying could be printed on the screen more succinctly, do that and just play guitar.

If you're talking because it extends the length of the video and improves your monetization, stop it and just play more guitar.

4. burntfrijoles

I've watched many of his earlier videos. I enjoy his playing etc. I got tired of him too. A lot of talking. I lot of "look at my cool new gear, recording studio..."
    I know these guys go one each others show as a way to promote their content but it's tiresome IMO.

5. Unison Bend

Unison Bend Tele-Meister

I agree. More and more, it is starting to blend together and sound the same. There are so many to listen to, getting past the like, ring the bell, patreon, check out my Instagram. At the end of the day I always remind myself they are creating content whether it helps you or not. It’s usually pretty obvious when someone is just putting out a video for weekly views as a quota.

burntfrijoles likes this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The best demos are about 3 minutes long.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    DADGAD likes this.
  7. burntfrijoles

I would say teaching is skill. Obviously some speaking/narration is required. I don't fault folks who are not great wordsmiths.
    Keith Wyatt who used to write columns for Guitar World and had a bunch of VHS and DVD instructional videos from various publishers was excellent. The guy knew how to teach and construct a lesson.
    I guess part of my complaint is the popular gurus (players and gear reviewers) have turned a lot of the content into a cult of personality.

USian Pie likes this.
  8. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I boycotted all channels using overly clickbait-y titles and thumbnails-- channels like paul david, robert baker, rhett shull (obvious offenders that came to mind first). even really good channels like Tim Pierce. Once I clicked on something and realized the thumbnail or title was misleading, I unsubscribed. I've found that there's still a TON of great guitar content to consume after.

teletail, Mr Swisher, Nelg and 2 others like this.
  9. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

YouTube really wants me to watch Mimi.

Chupacabra and naveed211 like this.
  10. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

The only thing guitarists love more than playing guitar is talking about guitar. Right there with you.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

As entertaining as these guys can be - I mean it's like a hot rod lover touring Jay Leno's garage - it's all just an advertisement.

Same with those guitar magazines. One decent article, a couple of transcriptions, 75 pages of ads.

Paul Davids and Rhett Shull are good at what they do, but what they do is a huge waste of my time.

I really like Robert Baker, he seems the most genuine to me. And he's funny and can shred.

That said, this thread has inspired me to unsubscribe to all of them. They make a living at convincing us to buy more stuff we don't need.

One guy I do recommend, however, is Rick Beato. It's about the music and the industry. He's a really talented and interesting guy. I never feel like his videos were time wasted.

Oxidao and String Tree like this.
  12. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

I watch some videos to learn about playing the guitar, some to learn about guitars, and some to simply be entertained. The only category that I actually want to watch someone play is the first one. If I'm watching to learn the history of the 50's Stratocasters, I don't care to watch someone play for 5 minutes before giving me some facts. If I want to watch someone play guitar, I'll find a video of SRV, Duane Allman, Hendrix, or EVH; not some Youtuber that I have never heard of...

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  13. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher TDPRI Member

One of the issues is so many of them play the same type of music. It's like death by blues some nights. It's bends for likes..

Where are all the alternative guitarists? Adrian at Anyone Can Play Guitar is the only one I can think of. Humble, skilful, doesn't push products and has great taste in music.

timmytVA, Harry Styron and wblynch like this.
  14. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think I just have YouTube fatigue. 99% of things I see on it bore or annoy me, but I keep going back to it....like a train wreck...or a dog to his vomit...;)

StevesBoogie likes this.
  15. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Superb player and covers a lot of ground (even setups). My friend just started his beginner's course, says it's very good.

Me, I like a very few guys, but don't watch anyone religiously besides Guthrie Trapp & Whit Smith. Other favorites:

Paul Davids
    Ian Stich (StichMethod)
    Jens Larsen
    MusicTheoryForGuitar

Mr Swisher likes this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

You know what I really like about YouTube? If I need to learn a song there's almost always a video of someone playing it. They might not break it down-- it might just be the live performance--
    but that still gives me critical clues as to what exactly is going on. Or sometimes someone isn't playing it quite right, but 99% of it is right, which makes it a lot faster for me to figure it out. So much easier than the old days of dropping the needle over and over again on a song until I figured it out 100% by ear....and where sometimes there was a weird chord that I just couldn't quite figure out....

As far as instructional value goes-- the ratio should of watching YouTube to practicing what you saw should probably be around 1 to 99. Watch somebody for one minute, get a really good tip, and then spend at least 99 minutes practicing it until you have it down. Don't bother with trying to watch YouTube to see any other new tips or concepts until you got that one fully under the fingers.

Oxidao, stevemc and Mr Swisher like this.
  17. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

I like Chris Buck. He has a really interesting, expressive playing style, his videos always starts off with some great playing, and even if I'm not interested in the topic of the video, I can usually steal some lick or idea.

18. burntfrijoles

Davids is much better than Shull who talks way too much.

I know he has many fans but I am not a fan.

He is very good. He breaks it down very well and it's all about the music. I have a bunch of his lessons saved for future viewing.

buster poser likes this.
  19. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

That's the good thing on this thread, we all can refresh our sources.
    +1 to Guthrie Trapp, Paul Davids and Rick Beato.

- MyTwangyGuitar

Lately I've seen these guys. More entertaining focused, but interesting and funny... yet.
    - Wings of Pegasus
    - Guitar Pilgrim

Seasicksailor and buster poser like this.
  20. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Eric Haugen is the only one where I really feel like I get anything out of his videos as far as improving my playing.

Harry Styron and 57fenderstrat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.