1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Have To Stop Fooling Myself About Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 20, 2016.

1. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Songtalk - it's a WEM Project V clone. I built it from a kit of parts that I got from Ghost Effects. Ordered some custom knobs from SRC Effects and designed all the graphics myself. Think you can still get the kits from Ghost Effects eBay shop or buy the clone on their webpage.

songtalk likes this.
  2. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have a lot of pedals. I used to think I had too many pedals - until I looked at FilthyFur's first post and realized that of all of those pedals in his pic, I only have two. (Big Muff & Cry Baby) So the obvious conclusion is that I need more. See, I can admit when I'm wrong!

3. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

bottlenecker likes this.
  4. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Scott Ian was all about those back in the 90s!

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

So uh....how do you like it?

Does it go all Robert Fripp-on-early-Eno-solo-stuffy when you shred through it?

6. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

I'm buying pedals I had before just because I shouldn't have sold them too fast. You know, the grass is greener. Ever seen that show "hoarders".

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The grass might be greener, but its just as hard to mow.

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

But- it's-greener.....!

9. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

It's a great pedal, with some really great fuzz tones in it, as well as some pretty horrible ones too. All depends on how you set the two, internal, bias trim pots. It can get really Robert Fripp no problem, but I've biased mine a bit glitchy.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing but practice and hard work will make ones playing better, however I have been inspired to practice a lot by a new piece of gear... I've been given a green light (by the Cruise Director herself) on acquiring an entire live rig (finances permitting) so I have spent the lat two weeks poking at the iPad for info on various pedals etc.... Most fun I have had in a while... New Temple pedal board should arrive tomorrow....

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

No doubt about that. I don't buy anything thinking it will make me a better player. Pedals are about chasing tone. Maybe it's a tone you envision as "yours" or maybe it's a tone to emulate a great player's tone. Maybe it's Gilmour's tone on "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" or Robert Cray's in between Strat tones, or that lovely Peter Green bluesy thing, or even Keith's rhythm tones on "Can't You hear me knocking".

12. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I almost bought one of those from Ian. I have one of his early handwired Buzzaround pedals with Mullard transistors that's really killer. I never get tired of hearing fuzz pedals.

13. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

At this point, I have accepted that my pedal interest is partially the thrill of the hunt, and that my ideal, perfect, finished pedalboard is a fleeting or even mythical creation, never to be realized for very long, if at all.

There's a great movie by David Byrne & Talking Heads called True Stories and to quote it, "shopping is a feeling."

RetroTeleRod and songtalk like this.
  14. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

I started buying pedals in 2010 and COULD NOT STOP. Don't get me wrong - I was always flipping and never really accumulating. I've always owned about 10 pedals. But in the last year, I've only changed one pedal on my board. I figured out that "tone" had very little to do with what pedals I used and much more to do with guitar & amp. Once I found a quality guitar and amp setup I liked, pedals seemed to matter little. So maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.