1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Have To Stop Fooling Myself About Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 20, 2016.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I posted several months ago that I was through with chasing tones via pedals. I lied. I was just in denial.

Since I posted that I've purchased a Boss BD-2 and an Xotic EP Boost. I just ordered a MP Simble and a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. I plan to buy a Catalinbread 5F6 and probably a Wampler Velvet Fuzz sometime in the future.

FWIW, I really like both the BD-2 and EP Boost. I basically leave the EP on as it just adds a little more. It's what the good folks in Louisiana call "Lagniappe". The BD-2 gives me a basic tone that I really like for blues.

i'm also going to be letting go of some pedals- a Wampler Plexi Drive, a JHS Pollinator (which I think is way overrated).

Bettyboo likes this.
  2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Well, a life unexamined isn't too fun. Did you think you were better than us?;)
    Selling more than I buy is my short term goal. No promises after that.

3. Peter Rarebit

Peter Rarebit Tele-Meister

I don't mean to open a can of worms here but the pedal you should try (just TRY) is a BBE Sonic Stomp. They run between $50 and $100 ( you should easily get one at $50). Yes, it's a BBE Sonic Maximizer in guitar pedal form.

It makes everything sound great, put it last in the chain.

4. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I lied. I was just in denial.

Since I posted that I've purchased a Boss BD-2 and an Xotic EP Boost. I just ordered a MP Simble and a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. I plan to buy a Catalinbread 5F6 and probably a Wampler Velvet Fuzz sometime in the future.

You fell off the wagon hard! More proof that pedals are addictive.

songtalk likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

It's okay, we all have gone through this and every time I say my pedalboard is completed, my wife breaks out into hysterical laughter.

Of course this time, you will have the 5F6, so you are near the end of your search.:);):cool::rolleyes:

Don't forget about the FN5 which is a natural extension of the 5F6.:D:p:eek:

6. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Try the BD-2 with level and tone where you like em with your pickups and amp and then dime the gain! It's a fun sound!

7. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Those that are saying that they're already "done" and still posting here are just fooling themselves ! LOL! ;) This like a 'good' drug that really keeps you going...

8. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Nothing wrong with the blues driver I've tried to replace it but I cannot

9. Understateduncool

Understateduncool Tele-Meister

I always liked my bd2. It's not working now, though. Something must have gotten knocked loose. I need to open it up and see. I also recently acquired a few new pedals, a catalyst, soul food, and ditto. I only intended to get the ditto. But you know. Once I settle on a new delay pedal I'm going to try to lay off the pedal purchases for a while. But for me, pedal gas is t really about chasing a specific tone, I just think different pedals are cool.

10. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

I tried for several months. I even promised the wife! Bought 3 new pedals this month and have already been trawling the net for more. I took this pic yesterday to prove to myself that enough was enough, but there doesn't seem to be that many pedals. The top left space could do with filling, lol!

[​IMG]

11. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Wow! I like those MUFFS!!

12. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Tele-Meister

Yeah, Pedal buying is crazy...

I've got the same sickness; promised meself I wouldn't buy any more pedals, just practice, then I went and ordered a Prince of Tone (don't need it, I'm happy with my MXR Custom Badass Modified OD) and a Mad Professor Ruby Red Booster (don't need it, I already have 2 decent treble booster style pedals) this week. It is indeed a sickness, and the wife is gonna have my nuts when she sees them!

This is the best pedal I've ever bought by some distance (I've 5 fuzzes currently and been through 10 or more ODs in the past 12 months alone) - if you're gonna buy a pedal, then of all the ones on your list (any list?) get this one!

13. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I have the same problem but I find the online amps / pedals to be better than real ones.

Try TH2, Guitar Rig 5 or Bias FX and see what I mean. No more turning knobs trying to search for tone. They've done it for you. Want to sound like Slash, click the already made preset.

Don't get me wrong, I love amps and pedals. My search for tone it plugging into one of the mentioned sims and I'm already playing.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

My problem is I keep running into good deals. Latest finds are a used Barber Small Fry and a MIJ DS-1. Seriously, as long as I feel like I can get my money back on a pedal, I don't feel too bad.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah, I also added my name to the waiting list for a King of Tone. Nine to 15 months to wait for a pedal but then everyone treats them like it's the holy grail.

As for the Velvet Fuzz, I guess I've been swayed by the fact that it plays well even when the amp is not cranked. We'll see. My pedal graveyard is full of FUZZES that DISAPPOINT.

16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Denial...what denial...I don't see any denial around here!
    Seriously though, I kinda love tone chasing with pedals. My playing seems to be improving too. Though if that's due to better tone or practice... I wouldn't venture a guess.:p

17. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Tele-Meister

I know what you mean, I have: Eartquaker Devices Tone Reaper, FuzzHugger Sun Eater (that's a great pedal), Keeley Son of Fuzzhead, EHX Germanium 4 Double Muff Pie, EXH Double Muff, a couple of cheap Chinese fuzzes and a couple of Germanium fuzzy style treble boosters - then I got the Velvert Fuzz, and it's in a different league (excluding the FuzzHugger which does a very different job). I'd never previously been able to get quite the fuzz tones I wanted... I was put off Wampler for a while, not sure why, maybe the price, maybe the brand, but the Velvet Fuzz is amazingly good; just sayin... :)

18. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I've somehow gotten out of the pedal buying/upgrading business lately. Maybe I like what I have.. hmmm. I must admit though I just bought the largest pedal made - a Vibratone, no pedal can touch this one.

Attached Files:

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

What's that "Warm Jet" thing?

It's not a WEM project V clone is it? I'd love one of those.

20. tacomamc

tacomamc Tele-Afflicted

I haven't really got a certain sound I'm trying to get..... I just like to get different sounds, and predominantly distorted and FUZZY sounds.

And THAT'S why I always have pedal gas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.