I have to admit I liked the tune. But I never saw the video...

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I didn't even realize there was a video for the original. That was fun. Thanks for posting it. I didn't hear this song until a cover appeared on the Wayne's World soundtrack.

FWIW, the guitar is a Gibson Melody Maker III. Similar to an SG except they didn't bother adding enough wood to the neck blank to make the "wings" of the headstock and the electronics were all mounted to the pickguard assembly to cut down on labor. This one must have been modified to add the bridge bucker.

Fritzy1959

TDPRI Member
Also don’t forget Hell Raiser…another ‘banger’ from the Sweet boys.

Early to mid 70’s UK glam rock. We were spoilt for choice back then..Thursday night tuned in to BBC1 and Top of the Pops.

Sweet - Slade - T-Rex - Bowie - Mott The Hoople - Wizzard - Mud - Alvin Stardust - Roxy Music….and many many more.

And then at the complete opposite end of the spectrum there’s was ones of the most underrated singer song writers around at the time Gilbert O’Sullivan.

Great memories 👍

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I forgot about this one. Good song.

While watching I kept thinking, imagine the band disagreements over who's got the fresh can of hairspray and who's turn it is for the bathroom mirror...

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Also don’t forget Hell Raiser…another ‘banger’ from the Sweet boys.

Early to mid 70’s UK glam rock. We were spoilt for choice back then..Thursday night tuned in to BBC1 and Top of the Pops.

Sweet - Slade - T-Rex - Bowie - Mott The Hoople - Wizzard - Mud - Alvin Stardust - Roxy Music….and many many more.

And then at the complete opposite end of the spectrum there’s was ones of the most underrated singer song writers around at the time Gilbert O’Sullivan.

Great memories 👍
Over here during that time frame (in my area) California and country rock was big, as well as singer/songwriters. Rock's last hurrah before the Disco plague hit.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Frank Marino did something similar with a '66 SG Special. He has three Dimarzios in his.

Frank-Marino-1965-SG-Special.jpg

I've always liked the Surf Punks' cover of this tune :cool:

summer_69

Tele-Meister
Sweet F A is a LP full of listenworthy rock.

Edit to advise: If you don't fancy glam then don't look, just listen. They really were good.

Last edited:

Hibernian

TDPRI Member
Ah Sweet -- fond memories. They were a rock band made by management/label into pop stars, part of the Chinn/Chapman song team that churned out hits in the early 70s with Suzi Quatro, Mud, and others. They sort of shook that mantle off to become a more 'serious' band later and then tended to play the old hits for fun anyway so it all merged together after awhile. I still have a few of their albums (Desolation Boulevard, Give us a Wink, Level Headed (Love is like Oxygen anyone?). Good musicians, lots of fun songs and reliable entertainment. Think there's some tragedy in their history (drummer dying in the bath? singer becoming an alcoholic?). At one point I think there were two versions of the band still touring (one in the US with the bass player, one in the UK with the guitarist, they agreed on it).

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
At one point I think there were two versions of the band still touring (one in the US with the bass player, one in the UK with the guitarist, they agreed on it).

Yeah, Steve Priest (RIP) had a pretty good version of the band that toured the US. A friend of mine named Paulie Z sang for them on the last tour before Steve passed.

- D