I Have Three Telecasters. Ask Me Anything.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WickedGTR, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

ahhhh.....A Magician NEVER shares his tricks!!

2. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

What guitar is your Number 1?

3. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

I never thought about it that way. Depends on the song. Song dictates the tools.

4. WickedGTR

There I was using a Strat with normal Fender pickups into a volume pedal into a Barber Tone Press compressor into an old Roland SDE 1000 8 bit digital delay (rack mount) from the 80's. Reverb is on the amp. Nothing fancy.

On the recording I was using multiple tracks of the same part with different plugins on each one. I haven't looked the original recording multitrack file in a few years. I was still changing that on the fly until the final mix. But it's still just a little compression delay and reverb. I don't do much (ever) with distortion and any kind of phasey chorusey things. I did use the Pod on it but also used other plugins on a direct track.

You can still find a lot of cool rack mount delays from the 80s dirt cheap, I think I paid $60 for it. Some of the Ibanez units are good too, built my Maxon.

5. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

Fair enough ;)

6. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Is there any gear that you've owned that you really miss?

7. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Every time my wife and I go on a road trip...and it gets dark and we are miles from anywhere, she plays that Eldorado CD. She loves it...It doesn't get dark in the summer so we haven't played it for a while...

8. WickedGTR

I had a few stolen I wasn't quite ready to part with, can't say I miss them.

Hey Don, what's up! Funny, I was thinking about the desert and Los Angeles when I made it, but a long night drive in Alaska fits too-

My favorite review came from a friend who's a police officer here. He said he likes to drive around with it on in his squad car pretending he's a cop gone bad.

Working away at making the next album, somewhere near half finished and I like it so far. It's a whole different thing than El Dorado.

9. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Friend of Leo's

Where is the RED one? You need a RED one, dontcha??

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Glad to hear that and anxious to hear that

El Dorado features pretty prominently in my 'ambient' playlist, along with Friends of Dean Martinez, Tri-State Killing Spree, and similar stuffs

11. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Wow! That's a pretty powerful thumbs up :cool:

12. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Interesting. My experience is in picture editing and I didn't miss analogue tape editing AT ALL! It was clunky (literally - umatic machines made this loud 'clunk' every time they made an edit) and slow. Digital was a revelation. The heavy cutting, fx laden music vid was totally down to the ease of use and i'm sure music was similar.

BTW. You mentioned that when recording you lay multiple versions of track and add fx to them (cool, I used to love working this way with picture, 20+ picture tracks and after fx = heaven) Anyway, I digress - when you lay tracks in this way are you fairly clear about what you want to achieve or is it more .. organic? (feel free to ignore if i'm poaching secrets :eek:)

13. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

It sure does..altho sometimes she calls it "El Dorito"..
    Good to see your wit and wisdom still inhabits the interwebs!

14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

WickedGTR - Mr. Wilson's dog was named Fremont.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1118833/

Mr. George Wilson (Joseph Kearns) – the Mitchells' neighbor, often exasperated with Dennis's antics, though is proud that Dennis considers him his best friend. George has a dog named Fremont. Kearns appeared in 101 episodes from 1959 to 1962; his last work was aired posthumously in the episode "The Man Next Door" on May 6, 1962.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_the_Menace_(1959_TV_series)

He was a Carin Terrier.
    http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum/topic/13825-dennis-the-menace-and-fremont-the-cairn/

Sorry about the extremely bad spelling of Menace. Oh oops.

15. WickedGTR

Usually, it was done in the mix stages... Depending on what it needed. Sometimes I would do parallel compression- 2 identical tracks, one not compresses and one fairly heavily compressed, and then blend them to taste.

Often I'd have a brighter sounding guitar track and a darker one and blend them rather than using eq. Sometimes I would have different effects on two tracks and spread them out in stereo.

Often I'd keep one guitar track in that was fairly dry- blending some in would help keep it getting to mushy from echo etc.

I'm not at mix stages yet, but I'm not sure I'll be doing that kind of thing as much this time. Software (and my software and hardware collection) has improved a lot since then. I'm getting better results with guitar sounds on quick mixes than anything I recorded on the last record. Very hi fi now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.