I have some GAS, tell me about the 68 Custom Vibrolux reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bullfrogblues, Apr 4, 2015.

1. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I have enough amps, high end, low end, but I still want something else.

I don't have a lot of experience with Fender amps, except back in the late 60s with a Showman, Dual Showman, Bassman type amps, then migrated to Marshall type amps.
    I do have a 5E3 clone that I don't care for that much, and sold a Fargen modded DRRI a couple years ago. And I'm thinking of another Fender amp to round out some tones.
    This is where the 68 Custom Vibrolux reverb comes in. I don't really want a DRRI or PRRI, nor do I want a Blues JR or Super Sonic type amp.

Anyone own the Vibrolux and have any opinions yea or nay?
    Thanks.
    amps I have
    Bogner Shiva EL34
    PRS 2 Channel H
    Vox AC15C1
    5E3 Clone
    Roland Cube 40GX
    cheap POS SS amp on the bench for test purposes.

2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

If I could find one in a music store I would. I have a vintage 81 model and I've wanted to compare them.

3. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

4. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Hi bullfrogblues. I have a blackface CVR, not the new '68. The blackface in it's factory form is a hissy, noisy thing, but after a few cheap and easy mods, it's a tone beast. I love it, more sound than a single 12" combo, and way lighter than a 212. The 210 is fo-sho my favorite format. I also expect the new '68 is MIM, like the others in the '68 series, discoed BF is USA, if you care about that kinda stuff.

Good luck!

5. bullfrogblues

Something doesn't feel quite right about that one!!

Thanks, oatsoda. I don't really care if its MIM or USA, I just want a decent Fender amp and I'd rather have new for reliability than old for the sake of having vintage.
    I may not buy, but the force is strong!!

6. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

No, that's not a "64" anything. :rolleyes: It's a current model "Custom Vibrolux Reverb" which is based on the Vibroverb reissue circuit. With some simple mods they can be converted to the VVRI specs, which makes for a great amp, but NOT a Vibrolux Reverb. $599 isn't a bad price, but I often see them for $700 or so, so it's not a door-buster deal, either. Just a misinformed CL seller. :confused:

What the OP is asking about is the "68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb" which just came out fairly recently, and is notable for its "drip edge" trimming around the grille cloth.

http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplif...68-custom-vibrolux-reverb/product-227500.html

Hope it helps, CS

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. bullfrogblues

8. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I think most of the amp techs on this forum would have to disagree about the reliability of vintage amps. There is a reason they are still around after 40+ years. Though a vintage amp may need servicing (cap job) and you will be good for a long time

I would suggest going somewhere that stocks a bunch of different fender amp models and try them out to see what you like/need. I find that Silverfaced and Blackfaced Fender amps have that Fender sound and it is more of a matter of finding the one that fits your needs best. The different wattages will break up or get to the sweet spot at different volumes.

Also something to consider that if you are buying a new 68' Custom Vibrolux for $1200, you might be able to find a vintage one in the $600-$800 range and spend a couple hundred to get it up to par and have an amp that will be reliable and hold its value for less than a new one

9. idealguitars

idealguitars TDPRI Member

FWIW, I have a 68 CPR that I switched the Speaker to a Legend 1058, I've spent some time taking the amp apart to change tubes, speakers ect, I also have a 65 PRRI and just sold my 1965 Pro Reverb, of all the amps the 68 CPR had the best build quality and the 65 PRRI had the worst, the Pro Reverb was good but the particle baffle board was cheesy. I think fender hit a home run with the new silver face RI amps, I'm sure the vibrolux would be the same as the the rest of them.

10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

11. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The new 68 CVR is a pretty nice sounding amp and seems to get pretty good reviews. It appears to be quite an improvement over its predecessor.

Every time the subject of this amp or any of the reissues comes up it seems someone chimes in with words to the effect of, "you might be able to find a vintage one in the $600-$800 range". I would sure like to know where these cheap vintage amps are. Sure aren't on eBay or in my area. And if they are that cheap they are beat pretty hard. Even a late silver face Vibrolux Reverb is going to fetch over $1000+, likely need cap work, and not have a warranty.

Besides, the '68 is a different amp that a vintage one anyway. You could always get a used '68 CVR for less as well.

You should try and find a store that has one and put it through its paces. They get both nice cleans and a salty overdrive tone as well. Loud enough to gig with.

12. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Here are some found in a quick search in my area

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4913168298.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/4923677028.html

http://delaware.craigslist.org/msg/4960303505.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/4960899416.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/4955600535.html

I would take either of those Drip Edge Supers over a reissue at new price. Obviously the Pro Reverb isn't a 65 and probably mis-typed 75. I am sure I could talk down any of those prices also

I guess in your area there is more demand than supply

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  13. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

I have the '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb. This is a great amp. I researched this line extensively before I got it. When it arrived I played it and it sounded great, but then the memories of the online "hiss police" crept into my head and I TRIED to hear a hiss. There wasn't one to be found until I turned it up loud. The "custom" channel has more gain and therefore more hiss. I was so caught up in this that I blew it way out if proportion. It hisses no louder than my brother's vintage '69 Twin or the DRRI I used to have. Basically, I listened to too many tone snobs on the internet instead of hearing how great this amp sounds how versatile the two channels are. It took my bandmates to set me straight on how good it sounded, but now I'm completely sold on it.

I typically play with a little amp grit and it's awesome, but last night I was playing some clean r&b stuff and it killed! The tube bias tremolo is sweet and the amp is so touch sensitive that the dynamics are everywhere I needed them to be.

Sorry to enhance your gas, but you should try one. Fender did well with this line.

14. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

Also, Wally had some great input for me on here when I brought up my issues a few wks ago.

15. bullfrogblues

thanks, Gringo, that's exactly the info I'm seeking.
    I realize I probably spoke in error concerning vintage amps being reliable, they certainly are or they wouldn't still be around. I've just never been what you call a vintage gear person, though I am vintage myself!
    Middleman, that is the amp in question.
    Tle4, I appreciate your input, though none of the amps you linked are the amp in question. but I understand the meaning in the price of some vintage amps. I did some research and didn't find one vintage Vibrolux under the asking price of the new amp. And for the record, according to Fender, it is not a re-issue.
    I just like buying new as opposed to used, though it's not out of the question.
    Thanks for everyone's input!

16. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

I picked up a '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb (RI) a few weeks ago. I do like it, but I think it needs to go to the tech. I played one in a shop not so long ago and it sounded fantastic. Mine sounds a bit sterile, so I'm going to have the tech bias it for me.

That being said, I've only done a few rehearsals with it at band volume, so the speakers are nowhere near broken in yet, which could have something to do with that. It had more than enough headroom to play classic country, and it is cool having the 2 different voiced channels. I keep going back and forth as to which one I like the best. It's very touch sensitive, and really punches through the mix. Overall,I like it.

That 2x10 combo with 35 watts really hits the sweet spot for me. Lighter then a twin, more headroom than a DR, and it's size is closer to the DR. No problem getting it in, or out of the trunk, and it seems to be plenty of horse power for most of our gigs. Overall, I think it's a nice package.

17. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going to play one as soon as I can find one, maybe replace my Supersonic 22, which I really like....

If this doesn't give you GAS for one, nothing will:

Treynor likes this.
  18. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

lucky you

I would guess at those prices they would need some work. Maybe not. Maybe it's just the east coast is full of cheap SF's. Certainly not out west.

Either way, none of the above are very similar to the '68 CVR, so if one had GAS for that amp, buying a SFVR would probably not be what they were looking for.

19. jfromel

jfromel TDPRI Member

I have had quite a few customers ask for a mod kit for this amp and I finally got one on my bench. This amp is nothing like it's blackface predecessor which is known for its hiss and lack of clean headroom. IMO Fender did this amp right. The way they put the reverb/vibe on both channels is very different than the black face CVR and there is no hiss, the lack of clean headroom is corrected by the negative feedback loop, but the amp still has nice touch sensitivity. They power stage is also modified to give a little sag, similar to a tube rectifier. The one I have on the bench is a ltd ed with Celestion Greenback's, which is a huge improvement over the stock Celestion 10's. As far as mods go I might look at speakers, tubes and higher quality filter/bypass caps, other than that this amp is great out of the box.

bullfrogblues likes this.
  20. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I tried the 68 in a shop once and I thought it sounded great.
    I have a real 74 vibrolux, and it has just the right power. For small gigs, mostly clean, with a touch of dirt. Loud gigs, it can keep up, but won't be clean. It distorts when you feel an amp should distort. No low volume distortion that turns to mud as things get louder, but not ear splitting clean volume either.

To boot, a lightweight package, and much louder with an extra 12"speaker!

In many ways, the perfect amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.