I have one more guitar!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Major Gruber, May 8, 2018.

1. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Simple way to test a clear/light oil finish is to rub a damp sponge on part of the wood using only water, the grain will pop out and will give you a good idea of how it will look, the water then evaporates anyway.

2. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

That was more or less my first intention, and maybe I'll do so in the end. In the meantime I consider all possible options. The jeff Beck cutt off stuff was my first idea back in the years I purchased the body. I'm going to take my time.

Minimalist518 likes this.
  3. Major Gruber

Brilliant, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

4. Major Gruber

What kind of oil is best for that ?

5. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

If it were mine I'd keep the body natural with just a light sealing coat to keep out moisture/dirt. Not sure i'd want to apply oil as surely that would penetrate and create problems for any possible further finishes later on??

Having the cutaway, any other finish is going to look a little off in imho.

Over the years I've considered having my '63 put back to blonde but I'm glad that I didn't as I think it looks pretty cool the as it is.

[​IMG]

hemmings and Minimalist518 like this.
  6. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

I used Tung oil.

7. Major Gruber

Thanks, and that's exactly what my luthier told me to take!

4telecaster4 and Minimalist518 like this.
  8. Major Gruber

Oops, I integrated comments throughout yours and didn't do the right thing to have them popping out…

9. Les Gear

Les Gear TDPRI Member

Turpentine also works great for that.

Exactly

Both my ancient homebuilt bass guitars have tung-oil finishes and I regret it.

The positives are that it's easy, low-tech and scuffs can be cured by more oil.

The negatives are that IMO and IME, oil finishes look like amateur work intended to shortcut the display of luthiery skill which is inherent in French polish (padded shellac), padded lacquer or sprayed lacquer. And the only thing that will stick to it ever again is more oil.

Major, check out shellac or French polish, or paying somebody to shoot lacquer. Or don't . . . it's your project and you're already in bonus territory on this one!

Major Gruber likes this.
  10. Minimalist518

Maybe, but I was pretty happy with the way that guitar turned out. A luthier-quality finish wasn’t really what I was going for. I didn’t try to go for a high-gloss or anything. It was a matte finish but the oil deepened the look of the grain nicely.
    I gigged that guitar hard for years and the finish held up well to all my punk rock nonsense and no small amount of beer and sweat.
    I don’t doubt that the other methods you mentioned are far superior but they were neither within my ability or budget back then. I suppose I’d take umbrage at “amateur work” if it weren’t the bald truth of it
    However, my oil finish was a vast improvement over the two coats of silver Testor’s model spray paint over a purple auto finish viciously carved by penknife or bottle opener with the prior owner’s band logo that graced the guitar when I bought it.

Major Gruber and Les Gear like this.
  11. Major Gruber

Allright, that's what it looks like when it's wet, the way you suggested. It's gorgeous. Wood is beautiful, colour matches perfectly with the neck. It's a great guitar just like this. The complete opposite way is to plan a heavy restauration by changing a massive block of ash in all the routing zone (plus the bottom of control cavity). A 63 body having had a very heavy restauration…, and being not sure it'll sound as good. I give me a night sleep before doing the irreversible, but I think I'm in.

Woodwet1.JPG Woodwetback.JPG Woodwetblack1.JPG

Minimalist518 and Blue Bill like this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would finish it in shellac or Tru-Oil myself. And I would go with the black guard.

Major Gruber likes this.
  13. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Major, that is a really great story! Congrats on your "new" Tele, it looks like a winner, I even like the epic butt-crack. I think Tung oil would look nice.

2blue2 and Major Gruber like this.
  14. Minimalist518

Beautiful! IMHO, the guitar has a story to tell and leaving the body unrestored, battle scars and all, shown off by a clear finish—whether you go with oil or a more traditional hard finish—tells that story best.
    I also prefer the black guard, but that’s how I had my old Strat, so I’m showing partiality!

Major Gruber likes this.
  15. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Nice, very nice indeed!
    It's cool that the neck is working out so well.
    It's awesome that you are using & liking it so much. Great guitar & story.
    IMO (& my wife's, lol) keep it 'natural', that grain looks great & the black guard really tops it off...
    Yup, natural grain with a black guard... But we are bias, lol

Major Gruber and Minimalist518 like this.
  16. Major Gruber

In French Tung oil has three names "huile de Tung" (tung oil), "huile d'abrasin" (abrasin oil) et huile de bois chinois (chinese wood oil). Right now, the second layer is drying and I plan to apply two more layers. Re assembly of the guitar, probably sunday. Then it'll take 3 weeks to get completely dry, but it's going to gig far before that. I'll post pictures as soon as it's assembled. I didn't disassemble it completely as I didn't want to have soldering to do. Third picture is just after first layer has been rubed, with still a french polish zone near the horn under the pickguard. I tried a sample of both oil and polish under the pickguard before deciding to go for oil. The polish zone is now sanded and oiled too. Very easy and fun to do. There's always a big mess in my workshop, but for this I sorted a clean operating table ;)

oiling front.JPG oiling dos.JPG Layer 1.JPG

Minimalist518 likes this.
  17. Minimalist518

Looks great! I found it to be a fun process, relaxing even. There is also a nice level of instant gratification!

Major Gruber likes this.
  18. derekwarner

derekwarner TDPRI Member

Well ...my 71 Tele suffered a machine head on fall may years ago.....

The nitrocellulose on the back of the arm chipped ...the fix was to sand the affected area & use Tongue Oil ...yes 3 x coats with sanding in between

Whilst the impact shear crack is there to the visual eye, fingers or the back of a thumb cannot detect the flaw

Changes in yearly seasonal humidity have no effect.....

Major Gruber likes this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Cool man... character for days! Enjoy and congrats!

20. Major Gruber

Tongue oil, really? And how did it taste? :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.