1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I have not purchased a Fender guitar in 5 years!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Dec 2, 2020.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

My have times changed. When I was in my “binge” period I would likely buy, sell and trade multiple Fenders each year.

It’s not that I haven’t looked. There are even a few models that I somewhat admired over the past years. There just hasn’t been one that was compelling enough for me to open my wallet. I still look at the premium dealers for special run or custom shop models but nothing. There was a post on TDPRI a month or so ago mentioning the heavy tilt towards the CS being mostly relic finishes.

I guess I’m at the point where Fender has ceased appealing to me with their weird configurations, odd finish colors etc. I’m officially in geezer land, preferring more traditional models, finishes etc.

Perhaps I’ve purchased my last Fender and, as such, my last electric guitar. Feels somewhat odd.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased my last Fender 6 years ago. Since then, one custom build by a local luthier. The rest I have assembled, modded and customized myself into the finest instruments I've ever owned.

fishermike and Ghostdriver like this.
  3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

I haven’t purchased a Fender instrument since June.

Asmith likes this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Confession: I've never purchased a new Fender guitar.

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

haven't been to Fenderville since 2015; have 3 guitars from them, 4 amps - and only one of each were purchased new. Love the amps; I like the guitars, but it's only part of the picture.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

If I buy any more Fenders, they’ll be used ones. Their quality has been extremely unimpressive lately. Granted, I’m not a candidate for CS guitars, they’re just out of my budget. So I don’t know how they are these days. But I’ve spent a lot of lot of time lately playing new Fenders.

I’ve been on the prowl for a tele. I’ve spent many hours recently playing everything from Squiers to American Elites, and haven’t found even one that was even a little bit tempting.

MIA Fender quality used to be amongst the best in the world. I don’t feel that way now. I can’t find a single one that wouldn’t take hours of work to make something I’d consider acceptable for the prices they charge. Everything has high frets. Everything has a poorly cut nut. Stuff I pull off the rack is not remotely set up or intonated. I don’t mean it’s not perfect, I mean they didn’t even try. And it’s not like this stuff has been sitting for a year. It all just came in.

I don’t get it. Fender also owns and manufactures Charvel and Jackson, and both of those brands, when I pick one up, seem to be outstanding for their price points. Likewise, Ibanez and Schecter are turning out some great work.

I don’t know what Fender is thinking lately. I think I’m gonna grab a T style Schecter. The couple I’ve played were less than the MIM line and astronomically more impressive instruments, straight off the rack.

I did pick up a 50’s Vintera that was actually really well done. Good fret and nut work. Seemed to be at least passably set up and intonated. Light weight, too. And fiesta red! Nice guitar. Unfortunately with a 7.25 radius and those tiny frets it’s not useable for me at all. Go figure. If it had a modern radius and medium jumbos I would have bought it. But that was the one, out of dozens I’ve tried in the last few weeks.

I’d think perhaps I’m just being way too picky, but the products other manufacturers are able to turn out, often for less money, including fender’s own family of brands, are showing me that I’m not expecting too much. It’s definitely doable.

donrichfan and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. burntfrijoles

I should clarify (or emphasize) I haven’t bought a Fender 6 string guitar in the past 5 years. I have purchased an MIM Player P-Bass out of necessity.

I don’t have an issue with the quality. The P-Bass I mentioned above is a fine instrument. I played an Ultra Tele which was marvelous and a Performer Hum Tele that was very nice. I would have been proud to own them.
    I thought AV line (so called Pure Vintage version) were the finest production guitars Fender has made in forever. I really wish they hadn’t discontinued or replaced it.

Fender-guy and Jakedog like this.
  8. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

Try a G&L ASAT Classic. It's 100% Leo, without the "Fender". Mine is my favorite electric guitar, hands down. Used MIA ones can be incredible deals. I paid about $700 for mine in excellent condition.

Cali Dude, KirbyBarba and Jakedog like this.
  9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have purchased two in my life (new), but the last was in 1992... a 1991 Strat Plus Ultra. After that they sort of lost the direction for me when they focused on 'staying true' to vintage or whatever. The new 'ultras' and N4 pickups are finally making progress again, but in the meantime I've learned to assemble and tweak my own guitars, and like them better than any off the shelf Fender I've tried. I appreciate they continue to make 'original' 50's, 60's era guitars, but it was disappointing to me that those were about all they sold for about twenty years. And what's with the ongoing lack of stainless steel frets? That's the #1 issue for me with a new guitar. I wear down nickel steel frets to needing a leveling and recrown inside of six months. I still like a lot of Fender parts, though, including bodies and necks - they feel right.

10. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’m thoroughly confused by the number of variations available, which seem to change by the year.
    I confess to looking fondly backwards to the days when there was a Tele and a Strat - you picked the colours from what was available.
    I bought my last new Fender in 73 - everything since has been pre owned.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Last Fender was 8 years ago. My one and only Fender. I don't need another.

Bought a Squier bass a few years back. Grudgingly. Which is the only way I would ever buy a bass.

I'm not really one for turning over guitars. If I like one I keep it. Which is why I haven't bought a Fender in 8 years. I liked it and kept it. 50s Baja.

Scooter91 likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

That's a good philosophy. I kept moving up the food chain over the years. I replaced good guitars with better guitars. Then I kind of went overboard. I have since found the path of righteousness in terms of guitars. The guitars I have now are the ones I want and won't replace. I've reached my limit. I can't realistically or objectively do better (although finer guitars surely exist). I'm occasionally tempted but never seriously enough to dig up a buried coffee can filled with the cash. I'm not saying it's impossible but it would have to be the exact guitar I want without having to custom order it from Fender.
    I think I'm done with amps as well.

hemingway likes this.
  13. Martocaster

Martocaster TDPRI Member

I have to confess to going the opposite way. I bought my first Fender in 1996 and played it nearly every day until 2018 without buying another one. Then I got a new Strat as the first was pretty worn, in 2019 I bought a CV Tele for fun then I loved it so much I bought a Ltd Ed Cabronita in 2020. I’m done for another 20 or so years now though.

14. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I don't see any advantage to new instruments. I also don't buy new cars.

I will sometimes pay more for something with an actual advantage - like a car I enjoy driving or a guitar that is a joy to play - but I won't pay for a name or "prestige" for the name or the prestige. It's irrelevant.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    39martind18 likes this.
  15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Last Fender Guitar I bought was a new 1982 x 62 Fullerton Reissue. V002504-6-25-82 x 3 Red Bobbin pickups. Still have it. Fender before that I got was a 71 x 4 bolt Oly Wth Strat. Still have it. Got it new.

I did buy a Fender Body for a Partscaster Which is my #1. Bought 7-13-82 x57 Fullerton Reissue body 9 years ago. USA Custom Guitars neck from Tommy. 2 original 66 Strat pups x 1 65 original.

16. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

3 this year. Dabbling in early 80s on reverb has yielded results superior to new purchases.

17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

The last Fender I bought was 40 years ago. Yes, it was a Telecaster.

El Marin and MAXXFIELD like this.
  18. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t purchased a Fender guitar since Monday, 2 days ago.

19. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Holic

I don’t have an issue with the quality. The P-Bass I mentioned above is a fine instrument. I played an Ultra Tele which was marvelous and a Performer Hum Tele that was very nice. I would have been proud to own them.
    I thought AV line (so called Pure Vintage version) were the finest production guitars Fender has made in forever. I really wish they hadn’t discontinued or replaced it.[/QUOTE]

I think with the AV line maybe fender realized they were just as close to the custom shop NOS line. Maybe that’s why they discontinued the line. I have 3 fenders from that line and wish I could find them all! The new AO series is pretty cool but still not as close to the real deal vintage as the AV series was.

20. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I haven’t bought a new Fender in at lease 15 years. A MIM C50s that I’m trying to sell

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.