I have not been buying for more than two years...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by omlove, May 15, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can always make some kind of deal with yourself that you won't buy a pedal without selling a pedal.
    The GC website has just about every pedal in and out of used inventory, search it, buy it and they'll ship it to your local store, trade in a pedal toward it and you're free of guilt!

Might have to trade the pedal in before you get the newer one to get the higher trade in value...

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gotta find a few guys and or gals close to your age with similar music interest to play music with!

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Most of us here are gear addicts. Even if we love our gear and its sound, we're always still looking to make it just a little better. When asked the question "How many guitars do you need?", the answer always is "Just one more!". The thing to remember is that inspiration comes from the music, and the gear just has to be good enough to let us express ourselves fully.

4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

A relic discussion inside a GAS discussion? Didn't watching Ghostbusters teach you that crossing the streams is bad?

Unravelling the 2 ideas, we know there is genuine relic and artificial relic. I think they are like battle scars. A bright shiny new army tank can look odd. Someone rubbing and chipping paint off so it looks like it fought a war seems odder still to me

As for owning guitars that do not make you a better player - forgive yourself! If a man bought a nice painting or sculpture that he finds beautiful, and a joy to possess, do we castigate him for the fact it doesn't improve his playing?

I would be quite ok with some guy buying a PRS and leaving it under the bed, never played. Bit of a waste, but I don't worry about a few kilos of wood being burnt for heat round the corner from me - why should I worry about the same weight of it not being played under another's bed

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Unless you have the collector or consumer bug I think most people get to a satiation point where the GAS flame burns a lot lower or even goes out. For me it was around about 12 guitars, four amps, roughly a dozen pedals, a PA, a DAW, a laptop, and an analog synth. I’m lucky to be in a good, fun band and I enjoy woodshedding on challenging material, so that reduces the GAS, too. But different people have different satiation points. I also don’t spend too much on automobiles. Saving even $10k on car costs equals a lot of cash for music gear.

6. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

I found that I cant easily find a coffee shop jam or a back porch concert to save my life, They were everywhere when I was tied to a pager or on duty and now that an injury has me sidelined I cant find a single place to play.

That along with a similar epiphany that I am what I am as a player and after all this time probably wont change much.

I had a blast chasing pawn shops and craigslist, Buying and selling on Reverb was awesome too.
    I owned and played stuff dreams were made of ! Clarks, Victorias and a HUGE # of vintage Fenders.
    I learned how to fix them, update weak components and get the most from them.
    Guitars of all shapes and colors came and went, Custom Shop to Squiers.

I now have two guitars, My 50th Anniversary (2004) AMSE Strat and a 50's Baja Tele.
    Two amps a 1968 Bandmaster into two sweet Weber 12A150 and 12F150 cab and my Special 6 Ultra combo into the oem speaker and an extension cab with a Cannabis Rex.

I found my contentment in that little bit of gear, I still dream of a big Tweed with 4X10 alnicos LOL !!!

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My observations were merely a passing comment on the subject like a bit of interior gas escaping into my cargo shorts. I don't worry about anything.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m saturated. I’m set for guitars, that’s for sure. I got 12-15 and anyhow, I’ve pretty much been playing just one of em for the last year and a half. There are still some out there that generate a little twitch, but I look around the walls and guitar stands in the house and honestly there’s no actual gap, so...I’ve just come to the point where I accept that there are a bunch of cool guitars that I will never have a place for, and I hope other folks enjoy em.

I bought two pedals this year (a vocal harmonizer and a MFX) and that’s pretty much done, too, unless something conks out.

I don’t have any desire to grow my amps either, though I’m considering swapping my 15watt tube head/cab rig for something lighter like a Nextone, but that will be at least a year from now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.