I have never been more sure about this, but I'm also scared to death about it.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Last year, completely out of the blue, my high school sweetheart re-appeared in my life 25 years after I last saw her. Back then, she and I had that kind of connection that a married couple have, we'd finish each other's sentences, had the lightning flashing whenever we touched.

We straight away fell back into those old roles, as if we had only seen each other last the week before. She also quickly put herself into a "Wife" role, telling me to properly take care of myself and being a support when I needed a shoulder to cry on.

Then telling me that she needed some space, I left her alone for around six months. Although I did keep in contact with her through the occasional E-mail.

Last month, I decided on a whim to call her, and she actually went "What took you so long?"

For the last couple of weeks she and I have been apping like crazy. And I shared with her my uncertainty about maybe having to sell the house when my mother passes away and fearing that I might royally screw that up. I told her that the house is too big for me alone to live in and maintain. And that if all else fails I'd plan to sell it off to my brother and his wife for them to live in and use the money to buy something around the rural parts of Maastricht.

She said "You CAN do that and know that I will always be by your side to help you." And that's when I knew it for sure.

I'm going to propose to her.

I told a trusted friend about it, and he said, "Pick the right moment to pop the question, you will know when it comes."

So I'm excited, but at the same time I'm terrified, what will she say?

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
A whole lot happens in everybody's life over a period of 25 years. I'd like to know exactly what she's been up to, who she was hanging out with, husbands,kids, just life in general. Also you need to share yours with her.
Wouldn't be wise to make any immediate big leaps based on emotion and 25 yr old feelings. I wish you the best but just be cautious.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
A whole lot happens in everybody's life over a period of 25 years. I'd like to know exactly what she's been up to, who she was hanging out with, husbands,kids, just life in general. Also you need to share yours with her.
Wouldn't be wise to make any immediate big leaps based on emotion and 25 yr old feelings. I wish you the best but just be cautious.
We talked about EVERYTHING, she and I have been completely open to each other.

But I'm not going to share any details on what we said.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
What the heck! Why not?

1656540488682.png

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
My freshman girlfriend from 1969 just lost her husband and needed a virtual shoulder to cry on.
She has invited me and my wife to her place near Yellowstone. Luckily it survived recent flooding but there is no power.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Last year, completely out of the blue, my high school sweetheart re-appeared in my life 25 years after I last saw her. Back then, she and I had that kind of connection that a married couple have, we'd finish each other's sentences, had the lightning flashing whenever we touched.

We straight away fell back into those old roles, as if we had only seen each other last the week before. She also quickly put herself into a "Wife" role, telling me to properly take care of myself and being a support when I needed a shoulder to cry on.

Then telling me that she needed some space, I left her alone for around six months. Although I did keep in contact with her through the occasional E-mail.

Last month, I decided on a whim to call her, and she actually went "What took you so long?"

For the last couple of weeks she and I have been apping like crazy. And I shared with her my uncertainty about maybe having to sell the house when my mother passes away and fearing that I might royally screw that up. I told her that the house is too big for me alone to live in and maintain. And that if all else fails I'd plan to sell it off to my brother and his wife for them to live in and use the money to buy something around the rural parts of Maastricht.

She said "You CAN do that and know that I will always be by your side to help you." And that's when I knew it for sure.

I'm going to propose to her.

I told a trusted friend about it, and he said, "Pick the right moment to pop the question, you will know when it comes."

So I'm excited, but at the same time I'm terrified, what will she say?

Holy Cow!!!!!! You can't expect any legitimate opinions without a WHOLE LOT more information.
You said, "We talked about EVERYTHING, she and I have been completely open to each other."........how do you know? You talked about everything she felt like sharing with you, and that's all.
I truly wish you well.....but like several others before me said, go slow. Real slow......

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just a thought to ponder. I can see why you would remain unattached for the last 25 years, not a post of disrespect either. It's not uncommon for men to remain alone sometimes for all of their lives. Having said this, women usually have the option of assuming a relationship just about any time they wish to, and it is EXTREMELY unusual for a woman to remain unattached for long periods of time, because men are constantly pursuing them.

I do know a man and a woman who dated in high school, then went their separate ways. The man married and had children with more than one woman. (Not at the same time) The woman never married! Then fate put them together again, they were married a VERY short time later, a matter of days, not more than a couple of weeks. To say that they lived happily ever after would be appropriate if you discount the days they spend fussing and fuming, and fighting. I think the man is finding out why this woman remained single, and SHE is finding out why he had several wives.

If you make this work, you'll probably be pretty happy since it's probably at least close to your last chance to grab the golden ring on the carousel of life. I do understand your approaching this situation with great trepidation. I congratulate you for at least considering reinvigorating the flames of an old love and wish you the very best in your pursuit of happiness.