I have my head in hand! (NAD content)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Sep 6, 2021.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Ah. Now it makes sense, thank you!

2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That sounds like a mod that could catch on...Mabel, fetch me my holesaw!

PhredE and The Angle like this.
  3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I can only guess that they figured that it might go hand in hand with the NuTube glowing brighter as the signal gets stronger, or possibly that the tube glow on its own just maybe didn't seem like quite enough. I keep mine up on top of the cabinet, so I can't really see the tube glow.

For people who are anti-digital, you'd think they'd almost welcome a VU meter.

I'd personally prefer if Vox ditched the VU meter and used that space to include T/M/B tone controls, instead. Maybe it will happen in a future version.

radiocaster and PhredE like this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

For me, the NuTube dims as you put more load into the amp (i.e., hit the strings hard)

The Vu meter barely moves for me unless I yank the speaker, use headphones and crank up the gain. *Then* the Vu meter needle moves.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Got back yesterday from a weeklong camping trip (Pedernales Falls and Bastrop State Parks). I didn't get back to this thread until just a little while ago, so I'm just seeing this. Thankfully, 11 Gauge answered haggardfan1's question long before I saw it. No, I'm not running from the speaker input into my powered speaker, but from the line out ("Phones/Line") input. I played it that way briefly before I left on my trip, and I've played exclusively through my new MV50 Boutique today, again going from the line out to the powered speaker. I don't have an extension cab...yet. :twisted:

I will be starting another thread soon reporting on how this mini VOX amp works for me. Stay tuned...

haggardfan1, Tim S and PhredE like this.
  6. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I do love a VU meter; takes me back to my previous life :lol: and my first career in radio broadcast and production (1985 -- 1996).

It was so. Much. Fun. Back then. Splicing real tape on a reel-to-reel with a razor blade, aluminum block, a china marker, and special tape.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I see we're sort of similar in age (I'm about 4 years behind you), and I've got a ton of similar nostalgic memories.

A reel-to-reel player with built-in amp was actually my very first guitar amp, along with being my first recording and playback device.

I've also been fascinated with electronics from a really young age, and loved messing around with any and all audio electronics, in particular.

So now in hindsight, I'm finally recalling when I finally got some piece of gear that replaced the VU meter with LED/LCD/flourescent. It was probably the Pioneer hi-fi system that I got used back in '87 or '88.

This makes me remember getting stuff like germanium 1N34A diodes from Radio Shack back then, too. Great memories!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.