I have my head in hand! (NAD content)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Sep 6, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I posted last Thursday about the VOX MV50 amp head series being on sale for $139.99 (all models). Then just before noon today, I posted a thread about my intent to buy an MV50 Boutique model unless I could be talked out of it here.

Well, I don’t think anyone seriously tried to dissuade me, but if they did, I’m here to tell ya, it didn’t work. I bought it. And I bought it locally, so as the title states, I already have my head in hand. (Sorry, I had to say it! :rolleyes:)

There is a local shop I’ve done business with for decades, Clawson’s Music. It’s a mom & pop store that’s been in business for more than half a century. Over the years I’ve bought guitars and amps from either Bob Clawson (the founder, the “old man”), or his son Bubba (yeah, Bubba, he’s around my age) or his grandson Bobby. Of course, I’ve also bought strings and accessories there, as well.

I’ve bought guitars and amps and accessories from Sweetwater, too, so nothing against them. But I always like to buy local, if I can, so before I called Sweetwater, I went to Clawson’s. I walked in the door and a young man named Nathan greeted me and asked what I needed. I told him, and he took right over to the display in their amp section, and Clawson’s had all five models. I didn’t even half to ask if they would price match what Sweetwater or other online retailers were advertising them for. Clawson’s was already on top of the current situation and had them priced accordingly.

I also picked up a set of strings (D’Addario EJ26s, phosphor bronze custom lights, .011-.052). While I was paying for them, Bubba came out from the back of the store, and we visited for a bit. But just a bit. I was eager to get home and give it a try.

I don’t have an accompanying VOX BC cab, or any other cab, so when I got home I plugged it into my Alto TS310 powered speaker that I use as a PA. I didn’t put my multi-fx pedal (BOSS ME-70) in front of or behind the amp head, just tested it quickly with the dry signal.

I wouldn’t say it sounded as good to me as my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs do, but it sounded just about as good as one of them lined out into that same speaker that I use for my PA. I want to run it through its paces more, but my wife is calling me to supper. So I’ll close for now with the obligatory pics, ‘cuz this definitely did happen…

09-06-2021 - My MV50 Boutique - 1.jpg 09-06-2021 - My MV50 Boutique - 2.jpg 09-06-2021 - My MV50 Boutique - 3.jpg 09-06-2021 - My MV50 Boutique - 4.jpg 09-06-2021 - My MV50 Boutique - 5.jpg 09-06-2021 - My MV50 Boutique - 6.jpg

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nice looking unit. We are waiting forward to the "tone report".

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn’t have taken you for the “boutique” type of fellow

Isn’t that supposed to be like a high gain Mesa/bogner type deal?

I’m unfamiliar with these so that’s an assumption

The cable looks insane coming out of a minuscule amp, maybe we need mini cables?

LGOberean likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would bet that it would sound better through a proper "guitar amp speaker". Can you get ahold of a proper cabinet.....preferably with a 12"?
    I can't describe how much better the PF 15R sounds through a 12".
    Congrats!!!!! ;)

PhredE and LGOberean like this.
  5. LGOberean

Thanks, and will do. But that "tone report" may take a while. My wife and I are soon going on another one of our camping trips, and will be gone for a few days, so it'll have to wait for after I get back.

I agree with you about the cable thing. It seems especially pronounced in that pic of mine. Maybe it's partly a perspective/angle thing, but yeah...

If I didn't already have 3 Pathfinder 15Rs, and didn't still have designs on a Mini Superbeetle in the hopefully not too distant future, I would have opted for the AC version. I'm not a pedal guy, so the Clean doesn't hold as much appeal for me, and the Rock and especially the Hi Gain models would be wasted on me.

Oh, and if I've correctly understood the scuttlebutt about the Boutique, it's supposed to be voiced like a Dumble. But the closest I've ever come to a Dumble is listening to recordings/videos of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford. So you couldn't prove it by me, one way or the other. All I care about is that it sounds good to my ear.

Thanks, Gil. I used to either mic or more often line out from my 15Rs to the PA system I used to have, which had Peavey PR12s for speaker mains. I did really like the sound of my Pathfinders through those 12" speakers, even if it wasn't quite the same as through a dedicated extension speaker cabinet.

I do want to get a 1x12" cab some day, but one step at a time. I try to keep my gear purchases in line with my intake from gigs. So far, I'm well ahead in the game, and I could go out and buy a cab tomorrow and still say it was within my earnings from recent gigs, but this is enough for now. I'm booked regularly at that venue I played the pick up gig for on Saturday (Sunset Hideaway in Ingleside on the Bay), and I've been told repeatedly that I'm their first call if someone cancels, so I expect more income from gigging. We'll see...

6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Larry,

Congrats. I like those BTW too.

You probably already beat me to it, but just in case.. ( I didn't see a mention of it above)

On the back, did you try setting/changing the speaker EQ switch? If it sounded underwhelming in your initial run, you might play around with that to see if it improves.

Yeah, I agree with nojazzhere: Big Speaker = Big Sound. I'll bet it will sound really big with a good 12". A 4 ohm speaker will give you max power from it, but, at the same time, they are rather scarce -- for some reason -- compared to 8ohm and even 16 ohm speakers. 25wrms into a good 8ohm 12" can be plenty loud though.

Have fun. Give us an update. I am interested in these amps too.

https://voxamps.com/product/mv50-boutique/

LGOberean and nojazzhere like this.
  7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

What’s this 1 x 12 business? 4 x 12! It’s 50 watts, man! Rip it!m

Also, congrats on your new amp. I am also waiting for the tone report. The videos I’ve seen look promising.

8. LGOberean

Thanks for mentioning that Flat/Deep switch. I knew about it and of course saw it as I was plugging in/setting up, but actually forgot about it in the brief play that I had through it. I will try and remember that when I put it through its paces.

Which might be a while. My wife and I are going camping, so I probably won't really get into it until next week. More to come, probably just a new thread...

PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Krackle

Krackle Tele-Meister

i had a regular MV 50 'clean', where, clean, yes..but you can get some dirt out of it...

I mean..it was ok. I fiddled around with it for a while thinking it would be great for headphone playing and traveling..found myself wanting a speaker pretty quick..so that means carrying other stuff..
    Also, the thing needs to be nailed down..the wires going into it are heavier than 'it' in a practical sense..it always moved around and that annoyed me, especially after the honeymoon was winding down..

Soundwise? ok..sometimes i felt like i had a decent sound..but if i recorded it to listen more objectively..not satisfying..

It has it's uses for sure but i sold it after a couple of months..

buster poser and 7171551 like this.
  10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, the cab/speaker(s) you choose to use with the Boutique really will make or break just how good it's capable of sounding.

I really like the way mine sounds using open back cabs with non-American style speakers (12s, specifically). I wasn't thrilled using closed back cabs, particularly with just a single 12.

I have a 'stereo' 4X12 cab (closed back), with a pair of Reverend Alltone 1250s on the righthand side, and a WGS Green Beret paired with an Emi Texas Heat on the other. The Boutique thru the Alltone 1250s just honestly doesn't sound very good. It sounds better thru the Celestion'ish speakers, but I'm just not thrilled with the low end response, since it's a closed back cab, most likely.

...Where the Boutique kills, for me, is thru my open back 2X12 Seismic cab with WGS ET65s. Yes, it's completely impractical to run an amp that weighs just a few pounds thru such a big cab, but there's simply no denying just how good it sounds.

I guess this is the point where I should probably plug the Seismic cabs. They're very affordably priced, and their birch construction is more than decent for the given price point. You can even find them for purchase directly from the manufacturer (or thru Reverb and similar) which is located in Memphis TN, and they typically include free shipping. I've currently got three cabs from them (compact 1X12, closed back, and I removed the back, full-sized 1X12 open back for use with my Marshall Origin 20H, and the aforementioned 2X12 open back). I'm also looking to replace the aforementioned stereo 4X12 cab with a closed back 2X12, and I found one on Reverb for less than $190, shipped to my door.

Apologies for plugging the Seismic cabs, but they've really panned out for me. I know that keeping the cost down is important for many of us, so I figured it was appropriate.

11. 11 Gauge

I spent a little bit of time playing around with that switch on mine, and found it to be subtle (this is going by memory, though).

But in all honesty, what I prefer specifically about the Boutique model is that it's not as mid-scooped as a BF/SF Fender amp. I think it ultimately allows it to sound better once you get things turned up to where it starts to get dirty just a bit. So for me, that switch will always stay in the flat setting.

PhredE likes this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I can confirm this. I have an Avatar compact 2x12 with a mail-slot back, loaded with a V30 & a Creamback 75. That little Boutique can move pant legs and sound good doing so.

The Boutique sounded plain bad thru a closed-back 10” Creamback, better thru a closed-back Mesa Widebody and better yet thru an open-back Widebody. But it sounds best to me in a 4 ohm, 2x12 with some opening in the back.

(FWIW, I also picked up an MV50 Clean and it sounds good with any of my cabinets. The Boutique is more fussy)

11 Gauge likes this.
  13. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A "boutique” is where women buy their underware. :lol:

14. Tim S

I could think of worse jobs. :twisted:

Crobbins likes this.
  15. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Am I understanding this correctly? One can plug a mini tube head into a POWERED speaker? Someone set me straight on this, please, because IME I wouldn't have tried it out that way.
    I'm sure I must be missing something.

But Larry, by all means congratulations on the new rig!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  16. 11 Gauge

The MV50 amps have a phones/line out that allows them to be used with stuff like a powered speaker.

[​IMG]

Using the standard speaker out (as a line out) would obviously not work, and would probably damage something.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  17. Tim S

BTW, the Phones/Line jack is dual-purpose. With a cable fully inserted, the unit uses its speaker emulation. But if you pull the cable out one notch, then you get unfiltered line-out. (That info is not in the manual)

haggardfan1 likes this.
  18. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congratulations Larry!

19. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I love that Vox put a completely pointless VU meter on these amps. I want one for that alone.

P Thought likes this.
  20. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

I have the Mini-Superbeetle (love it), and 2 Seismic 2X12s. They are great cabs for not much money. Highly recommend them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.