I have many classic tube amps – so why buy a Yamaha THR100HD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rze99, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Since using a dual amp config in the '90s I will pretty much always use two tube amps at once.
    One set richer and dirtier, the other cleaner and brighter. It just gives me everything I need.

I'm lucky have at my disposal loads of top vintage and new tube amps accumulated over the years from the '70s on. I use attenuators so I can get the breakup I want at the volume that's right for the occasion. It's heaven! I don’t gig much and 90% of my playing is rehearsing or at by home studio. I'm still fit and I can lug the heavy amps around when I need and I think it is worth it even when packing away!

So, why have a I just bought a used Yamaha THR100HD?

I want to see how close it gets. And, if it gets close enough for me in most situations, I can change my amp situation which is not sustainable really.

In 5 years' time I have to downsize my property to help fund my planned retirement. Those amps are taking up a LOT of room and, I expect, with a smaller property I won’t be able to keep them all. I can wall hang guitars, but not amps!

As you know the THR100HD is a 100-watt (or 50 watts at 4 ohms) digital amp head with two separate amps. Each separate has 5 different amp types (SS, clean, crunch, lead, and modern) and then five different tube types (6V6, EL84, KT88, 6L6GC, and EL34) it covers every amp I've ever owned or ever wanted to own!

My needs are pretty simple since I'm a classic amp guy. I don’t need to store tones, pre-sets need to be changed for different rooms and volumes anyway, I don’t need multi effects; I just want to replicate a handful of my classic amp settings to get my sounds. I like it's simplicity. And I love my little THR10.

IF it can get very close to the FEEL and tone of playing my favourite amp combinations such as a Marshall MV50 with a cranked DRRi and a cranked VoxAC30 with a 5e3… etc.,… then I will take some amp decisions

I already own two separate 2X12 extension cabs with vintage '70s Celestions that I rarely use, so I'd simply use them.

I'll A/B each against the actual amp and see where it goes. I'll likely update this thread as I go, amp by amp.

My kids don’t want my amps - they don’t play guitar so…. I've a strong feeling I'm going to be weeping as my vintage and classic amps get sold, one by one. Can I tear myself away from my classic amps? Dunno.

Robb, Crawldaddy, NewKid and 4 others like this.
  2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Would love to see some pictures of these classic amps. Please post...

Mayas caster and Fretting out like this.
  3. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Please do update as you go- sounds like an interesting topic. (And hope you get the results you are hoping for!)

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

In the upcoming downsize/ but upsize move...a whole lot of stuff i thought i would never get rid of is gone...but..in the move. hvae already laid out the plan for the music room. No sacrifice ever in tone..so 3 Fender & 4 Marshalls are going on 1 wall,,always ready to go with a mic in front. next corner Ampeg SVT &SVT4 pro & PF50t with 8x10, 2x15 jbl cab, 2) svt210av. isolation booth.10 speaker PA & full drum kit ..basically a studio..at the push of a button & band practice...all other gear to host shows in box truck loaded to go. There is no replacement ever for the amps i have & the particular speakers to use with them..took a long time to get there...

rze99 likes this.
  5. rze99

that's a great way to go - design your living space around your gear... not had that luxury before maybe i can engineer it in to my downsizing... somehow.

Jwalker99 and bftfender like this.
  6. rze99

Loads of guitar photos.. hardly got any amp photos!

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my real estate guy laughs
    Me: 1)Studio
    2)4 car garage-workshop-stage set up area
    3)no noise limits 24/7
    4) fishing

wife
    1) whatever she wants..as long as i can get those 4 things in

win-win..even for the Realtor

Obsessed, trouserpress and rze99 like this.
  8. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

So then what are you waiting for? ;-)

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been tempted many times, but I keep reminding myself I've got this set-up, which gives me everything I could ever really want for a "just-me" practice rig:
    [​IMG]

jimash, MilwMark and ftbtx like this.
  10. rze99

Yes. Let me think what that would cost in central London.... keep counting...

11. rze99

I probably should. I think I have but they scattered in amongst loads of other pics not labelled nor in a drive. I’ll see what I can find.

12. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I have the THR10 for playing at home. I've used it band rehearsal a couple of times, and aside from it being not quite loud enough, it worked very well. I imagine its big brother through a full size speaker or two would be great.

13. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Seems like an advert

14. rze99

well it's not

RadioFM74 likes this.
  15. rze99

I just took quick and dirty snaps from my study as to what is currently out and which I use in various combinations.

Vox AC30 Top Boost Reverb with Celestion Blues ('69)
    Marshall JMP MV50 MkII head modded ('78)
    Fender Super 60, modded ('80s)
    Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue (2008)
    Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 (2009)
    Abbot hand-wired 5e3 head with NOS tubes in natural Ash (2015)

IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3306.JPG
    004b.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3305.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    VWAmTele, Southpole and ftbtx like this.
  16. rze99

Yes if you’re not looking to play out at all no hardware needed and DAW solutions so convenient and as long as the latency is close to zero and tones are high quality then perfect.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you are on a very interesting adventure with a practical twist. It will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

Good luck.

rze99 likes this.
  18. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/yamaha-thr100-owners.1681799/

There is plenty of discussion about this amp over there.

Seems like it is not selling well as it occupies an indefinate point in the market. There is a lot of moans about the functionality of it and absense of presets but all the users are saying that it sounds good.

The OP has a good point that an amp needs to be set up according to the room it is in and the volume it is going to be played at thus limiting the use of presets anyway.

rze99 likes this.
  19. rze99

It’s arrived. Very little time to play for a few days which is a pain.

I only paid used price so if it doesn’t suit my specific purposes it’ll be moved on. But I’m going to take the time to fully try it.

RadioFM74 and thefruitfarmer like this.
  20. rze99

For me it looks like you use it just like a real amp. Just with many voices. That’s all I want. That’s what I dig about the Genz Benz. Very flexible. The functionality seems to me right and perfect for my purposes.l given I use a combined amp approach.

If it’s any good! I’ll know pretty quickly.

I wish it had the Matchless voice option that’s on the little THR10C. That’s a sweet tone with a Tele.

thefruitfarmer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.