I have gone super simple on meals...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, May 17, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

It started with an Instant Pot roast, using portions as needed for meals. It makes a passable shredded BBQ if you use the right sauce. Chipped beed with gravy is awesome too. And mostly, mixing with some sort of refried benans to make beef and bean burritos. Lunch and dinner...

Breakfast... loose fry some sausage (will start using ground pork to eliminate the sugar) and a scrambled egg make an awesome breakfast burrito.

This has been my menu for the last two weeks and I don't see it changing...

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome to the club.

It's just food, right? Fuel for the body.

You don't make a whole ordeal filling your car's gas tank. Why should you filling your body's?

We still enjoy a nice meal from time to time, but for the most part - it's just fuel. Refill and move on.

3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There’s simple and simply yuck. It’s gotta have flavor and be more than just fuel
    A simple meal here can consist of a grilled pork chop, steamed rice, steamed broccoli, and maybe a salad
    Chicken Marsala is a pretty simple dish full of flavor

drlucky, dented, davidchagrin and 2 others like this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

You would have to post this on a day when I’m going to spend a couple of hours roasting, peeling, and seeding a bunch of Hatch chiles that I grew - all to yield a few ounces of something that’s basically used as seasoning (I’m freezing small packets to be pulled out for various Mexican dishes). The furthest thing from simple.

drlucky, Alcohen, getbent and 3 others like this.
  5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I go for years eating the same thing most of the time. When I was single.
    As a domestic partner, I now have a modest menu of meals. The basic rules are: 1) Try not to repeat a meal the next day (leftovers are an important exception). 2) Dinner must have something green in it.

P Thought likes this.
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I worry about not getting enough sodium, and I address that with a can of BBQ Vienna sausages and a bag of Cheetos. Those two things and a single-use plastic fork: simple!

Seriously, your burrito ideas sound pretty tasty...

drlucky, Scooter91 and DrPepper like this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Like some folks say. "anything to make a Tur#*"

During the recent year, I tried to get fancy and actually
    highligted some things in a real recipe book. That
    has sort of died off for now..

DrPepper likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I have generally next to no appetitie due to meds, so I try to make sure to make what I do eat count.
    Superfoods, baby

On the plus side- I'm quickly nearing the weight loss goal I've had for years

DrPepper likes this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Simple for one is too much work for another... I want one dish, one plate and one fork/tortilla.

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Roasted hatch green chilis were the only thing missing from the shredded beef and bean burrito... Luckily I can fix that itch next trip to the grocery store. Not as good as fresh roasted but, sufficient.

FWIW, I use store brand seasoned pinto beans... HEB's Borracho beans to be exact.

For the beef and bean burritos. I take about a third of the cooked roast and heat in a pan... While it is heating I mash it with a potato masher. Add some ground cumin and a 15 ounce can of the boraccho beans and keep mashing. Reduce down to desired consistency.
    The best premade flour tortillas I have used so far are Mission homestyle soft and fluffy. I heat them up on a very hot cast iron skillet... If it gets some burnt spots, more flavor.
    Sometimes I add shredded cheese.

drlucky, dented and dkmw like this.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

FTFY (fixed that for you)

12. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I can understand both sides of this debate. Before I was married I’d buy a rotisserie chicken when they went on sale on Sunday. I’d cook and lightly season some rice and some beans. I’d shred the chicken, throw it on the beans and rice and add salsa and cheese for dinner up to 5x/week. It wasn’t tasty, but it was fuel and it was cheap. Because it wasn’t delicious I didn’t overeat. I didn’t have to think about dinner and I didn’t spend much time washing dishes. Getting married and having kids put an end to it though. Now it’s like pulling teeth to find one meal everyone will eat. And it’s a further struggle to convince my wife to buy or cook in any kind of quantity that generates leftovers.

I can totally appreciate a deliciously crafted slow meal, paired with the right wine (or beer), with every detail right from the room to the lighting, music, good friends, conversation, all that. But I can also appreciate a quick, cheap, repetitive menu that allows me to not obsess daily over details that last no longer than a meal, whose prep and cleanup it at least twice as long as the time spent enjoying said meal.

13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve gone to liquid meals for lunch and snacks sometimes, can’t get more simple, I just get it online in powdered form

Has all the goodies you need which includes real animal protein from salmon and chicken

I guess it’s kind of bad because I have to trust the supplement company to put in what they say they do but they have a good reputation

But...when I cook it’s not that complicated anyway

what is this instant pot that keeps showing up?

14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Tele-Meister

I love cooking good food . Prepping it is not exactly fun ,but Once its done I get to enjoy . Mmmmmm ;)

I eat a good breakfast everyday , light lunch most days ,then prepare a good meal in the evening for our family. Most of our meals are cooked in cast iron cookware.

drlucky and dented like this.
  15. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I had the same concern that my American diet was sodium-deficient. Luckily, I found the solution.

Attached Files:

mexicanyella likes this.
  16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I'm extremely picky about the food that I put into my body.

The above menu wouldn't make the cut.

I'm a firm believer that we are what we eat.

And...

I'm 68 years old, and I've been to the Dr. 1 time in the last 20 years, to remove a growth (non cancerous).

I've never taken any medication.

I'm 6' tall and weight 170 lbs.

And, I feel wonderful!

Mjea80 likes this.
  17. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I cook some rice, and when it is done i add a tuna salad in it, or tuna in tomato sauce. I like it.

Pastas with tomato sauce and cheese.

I also do couscous without meat. cook the semoule, warm up the vegetables which come in can, and mix.
    I am a gourmet.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    uriah1 and DrPepper like this.
  18. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Ran out of my winter stock of Hatch and had to get 1.5lb of frozen not long ago. Broke 'em out yesterday for half of my enchiladas. They were roasted at least, still had to do the rest. Labor of love... just like chili powder, so much better when it's fresh.

Also... for OP, simple is fine, but it's a bad idea to eat the same thing day in and out, weeks on end.

dkmw likes this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

lol...

johnny k and Fretting out like this.
  20. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Instant Pot is a programmable pressure cooker and more... Very versatile...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.