1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I have become so sedentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Jul 19, 2020.

1. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Started running again a little over a month ago.

Benn 2 yrs. Taking my time, making progress!
    The brutal heat is the challenge, to run by 11am.

alnico357 likes this.
  2. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

They haven't released the details for Boston yet but virtual races were starting to become a thing even before Covid. You run your distance during a time window (usually a week). You wear a garmin or the like with GPS capabilities and then send a link to your results to the people putting on the race. There is no verification if it was really you who ran it, and they can't be used to meet a qualifying time for something like Boston. Typically they mail out a medal when they see your results.

So basically you run your race and get a medal. Not the same as really racing against other people.

Old Plank likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

4. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I'm not going anywhere, and I'm going there slow.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Just a commute cyclist here.
    My google maps notification told me I rode more than I drove last month.
    Happy w that,

wrathfuldeity, alnico357 and getbent like this.
  6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for that explanation. So then there's considerable variability in runners' courses and weather etc., but, the good thing is is that inspires people to still get out there and train and run it. Cool!

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I got an e-mail about a virtual race with a $29.95 entry fee. I can run for free. There is a local race coming in October that is in its 42nd year and I have never missed it. If it goes virtual I will do it.

There are also races with staggered starts to keep the crowd dispersed.

On a side note, I found a note from 1980 in a drawer with my jean size of 32/33. That is still my waist size so I feel pretty good!

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I’m what the doctors call “a long hauler”, if I do nothing I feel good, if I do anything at all that requires mental and
    physical elements it’s like climbing a 3000ft hill.

9. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

The best day to start exercising is always tomorrow!

My advice is just start small with little things and dont compare to others. Little increases and gains start adding up. Listen to your body! Also very important. Whenever I get back into an active routine my mind is so much better. The start is hard, but it pays off

JJLC likes this.
  10. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

There's an ole saying; 'use it or lose it' so, you have to keep moving.
    When you stop moving your body that is when the reaper thinks about showing up. :eek:

11. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Right now I sooo de-conditioned. Yeah I walk the dog, have a 1 mile bicycle commute to work. But 2 weeks ago spent 1.5 days under the beater truck putting in a new clutch and last week rebuilt the 27 feet back yard alley fence. Both times was feeling it for a couple of 3 days. Can't wait for snowy weather and then go do some back country split boarding...probably kill me though.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This summer we've also had a lot of stories from TDPRI gang who've been motivated. New bike pics instead of new guitar pics. Stories about the bike shops out of bikes. Come on gang you can do it.

@burntfrijoles we're counting on you.

:)

13. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

exercise needs to be like any other activity; it needs to be 'sane' and remain in moderation but the older I age, the more I need physical activity.
    I think I read a post earlier that said something to the effect of 'listen to your body' and that is exactly what folks my age (59) need to do.
    Exercise but do it smart. If you start a new routine, or a new exercise, start out slow & work your way up. It's too easy at six decades to get injured, and that isn't where you want to be in the 'current' situation.
    Go out of your way to stay the Hell away from any & all medical facilities for the next 6 to 18 months, if at all possible. Do NOT get injured.
    As long as you keep moving & improving, even by little increments, that is much better than staying stagnant & sitting on ones' azz.

14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Weirdly because of the current conditions bikes have been snapped up. It is something you can do by yourself.

Steerforth likes this.
  15. Jake909

Jake909 Tele-Meister

Year ago bought a Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry to bike for low impact exercise. Two rides a day, 20 minutes each, neighborhood route, rolling on the smooth pavement. Quit drinking mostly. Don't miss it. Lost about 20 pounds. Don't miss that either. I ride alone.

16. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Gotta keep moving, that's my motto.

17. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can’t find a new bike so I am getting my old bike rebuilt. It’s about thirty years old. They need a caliper that’s won’t be in until mid August. So I wait. I walk one to two miles a day. I want the bike to break it up. I am down about twelve pounds at 260. Getting to 260 I am now shooting for 250.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.