1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I have become so sedentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

On the trips that I have made to Arkansas, it seemed to me that the state motto should be, EAT then SMOKE!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Set a real goal to break a hundred. By the time you get there, you won't weigh 295! :lol::lol:

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I truly have become a slug. I bought walking shoes. Watson, the dog, and I have been once

Got to get motivated

Toto'sDad and Cantbreak100guy like this.
  4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Me too, I've gained around 30 pounds this year and have been drinking more booze than ever. I bought one of those Slim Cycles a few weeks ago and have used it once, felt like I was climbing Mt McKinley. We need to get our fat asses into shape.

Cantbreak100guy likes this.
  5. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ve been riding 12-24 miles about three times a week. Today, I kayaked for an hour and a quarter since it was hot and my knee was a bit sore after yesterday’s 24 on the bike.

The bike was actually a source of additional stress for a few weeks. I had a problem with recurring front flats that was driving me insane. Once I got home to where the bike shop is open, I got that sorted out and the riding was easy until my front hub disintegrated. It was 30+ years old. Four days and a new front wheel later, I’m back on the road, and riding is back to being a stress reliever.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  6. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

You're lucky you've only become sedentary. I've become sedimentary!! I like to rock but this is extreme.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm right there with the OP. I work with special needs kids and I'm normally on my feet all day long. Gained 15 lbs since March even though I've been watching what I eat for the last month. I just started doing an early morning walk a few days ago; maybe that'll help. Definitely makes me feel better.

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah, man. Wife and I ended up getting c*%&$-19, and for two months I don't think I walked more than two blocks. I can't believe how deconditioned I am now...

getbent likes this.
  9. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I’m making some sort of attempt to improve myself. I spend the entire day stuck in front of my computer on Zoom calls for work. I’ve taken to knocking out 10 pushups, cranking out 30 jumping jacks, planking, or anything I can cram in between virtual meetings. Not much weight lost (yet?) but I’m sleeping better and, maybe, have more energy. If nothing else it helps me change position and ward off ergonomic issues.

CJM3309 and blowtorch like this.
  10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've actually lost about 15 to 20 pounds during the shutdown. My job is physical but I've actually been more physical since the shutdown. I'm out on the bike everyday and working around the house, and fortunately I'm getting the unemployment ( I'm self-employed so that was quite a shocker). First time I've gotten unemployment in my life, since just a couple weeks in my early twenties. Also fortunate is that I live in Southern California where it's not stifling heat or humidity.

Also taking care not to become a drunk. I drink beer but I don't drink it until evening.

I have a feeling this is going to go on for a while more, so I hope everyone just tries to adapt and accept reality, and don't go off the edge. Try to reimagine things, and take advantage of the downtime, if possible.

11. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I totally agree. Here in Spain for six weeks lockdown was strictly enforced, you could only go out to local shop, doctor or work, this was enforced by a fine and the police were out stopping people (1984 anyone).
    I have mobility problems anyway and this lockdown and then a limited time outdoors really set me back. I have to walk, it's the best exercise for me and not being able to so has caused all manner of problems and it will be a long while before I get back to pre lockdown levels of fitness.
    Now with temperatures into the mid 30's and having to wear a mask outdoors all the time, I feel like not going out as it is too much trouble.
    People who may have had the virus are not the only victims of this, for many others off shoot problems are many and varied

12. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

When I feel lazy, I force myself to just start. Usually a mountain bike ride. It's amazing how fast the lazy gets stripped off and replaced with motivation, by just starting.

13. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

What a coincidence, I've become igneous.

14. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

Riding a bike round my way is likely to end up with you being run off the road. There's something about lycra that drives folk crazy. Mind you, cyclists do seem to bring it on themselves, with their "it's a shared space, I have a right to be here" mantra whilst ignoring the mile long queue behind them.

15. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

we got problems getting people back to work. one guys been off 4 months with full pay, had to come to work one day and wanted overtime. I think this sitting around is rotting peoples brains. Get back to work :) do something!!

16. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I am running about 30 miles a week but the heat here in New Mexico is bothering me this year. I am gearing up to run the Virtual Boston Marathon in Sept but for me a virtual race is just not that motivating. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't Boston. Just started to up my mileage.

Old Plank likes this.
  17. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My bicycling has actually stepped way up during this thing. Not a huge amount of miles but I keep my bike in the van and drive to different nice locations with good scenic loop roads, with my wife and son. We mix the biking and hiking and head somewhere pretty much every day, except the extra hot, humid ones; on those we jump in the ocean. We're definitely lucky to live in a place where it's no problem to completely avoid other people for exercise/activities.

goonie likes this.
  18. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

innarestin' .... how will that be set up?

19. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

I bought a Rogue Echo assault bike in March. Built like a tank and a great workout. It measures distance and calories so you can compete with yourself. Running hurts my joints and 'real' riding is too much of a gamble round here unless you focus. And I don't want to focus. I just want to put some earphones in and enjoy some music while staying fit.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya, I have been zombiezed also.

Tough to try and get going somedays..
    Sometimes I watch hours of depressing news.

Wind up on nature channel, sci or nat geo..

aaaarrgh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.