I have an idea - What do I need to do this?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by SixStringSlinger, Aug 5, 2021.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I have 2 Boss distortion boxes (a Keeley-modded DS-1 and a stock DS-2) I'd like to somehow combine into 1, just to be able to switch from one to another without overlapping their sounds in the time between switching one on and the other off (or otherwise having a clean "gap").

(I know I can use a loop switcher to accomplish this, but I'm already using one to switch between different kinds of distortion - a different 2-channel distortion for smoother sounds, the DS-1 for raunchier sounds, and a Fuzz Factory for chaos. I want to combine the DS-1 and DS-2 into another 2-channel pedal)

So what should I look into re. wiring up the switching? I'm sure each individual pedal will remain essentially untouched, with only the switching messed with to make it act like channel switching rather than turning individual pedals on and off. I may also like to be able to use a foot switch to switch between each pedal's two modes, but I'm not certain about that yet. I'll also need some kind of enclosure, but that's a concern for later. I'm a fair hand at guitar wiring, just don't know where to start here.

2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Boring answer ---> Put them next to one another and step on them at the same time.

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, that's the exact beauty of the Boss pedal design.

4. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

Do you want the Ds-1/Ds-2 switcher to be always on? or are you looking to also have a master on/off switch for the entire unit?

As far as switching goes, this thing is only $25:

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119PVM7E/?tag=tdpri-20

Well worth the cost of parts and already built. Pull out it's guts and put it into your new enclosure. Get rid of those send/return jacks and hardwire your boards to the switch.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  5. SixStringSlinger

I need to be able to switch between the DS-1 and DS-2 in one stomp. I guess I don't need to be able to turn the whole thing on/off, given my use of a loop switcher to switch between 3 kinds of dirt (the loop switcher also bypasses), but it seems silly not to include that for if/when I use it on its own. I'm on the fence about some other kind of foot switching between the two modes of the modded DS-1 and the two modes of the DS-2.

6. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

You could use the guts from that box plus the guts of the two pedals the make a new box and add an on/bypass using some of the leftover parts.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  7. SixStringSlinger

I guess what I'm looking for is more information about how to make those connections, from the respective guts to the on/off switch and the A/B switch.

When it comes to switching the modes of each pedal, the modded DS-1 has a mini-toggle and the DS-2 has a knob, so I imagine changing either of those to a footswitch should be rather straightforward.

8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if you decided to box them together and have them switching, what you could do relatively easily is:

1) make the bypass of the whole thing (one wired into the next) true bypass with a 3PDT

2) get one momentary switch, and wire it up to where each of the two onboard switches are on the boss pedals. (it just momentarily connects the point to ground).

3) force the initial startup state of the latch circuits to be opposite. you can add a little bit of capacitance (like 47-100pF) in parallel to one of the 470p caps in each latch.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    SixStringSlinger likes this.
  9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Boss LS-2.

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

A small AB/Y box will do it. The Radial Big Shot is a good one.

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve been doing this for years with my CE-2 and BF-2 for 40 years. I never use them together, but often switch from one to the other with a single stomp. I do the same thing with the CE-2 and my TR-2, which sits on the other side.

Why increase the complexity (not to mention cost) to do something that can be done simply by carefully planning your layout.

12. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Mod an SD-2?

13. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This would do it. Parallel mixer. I use it to go back and for between two delays. You can add an expression pedal or just use the big knob (which is big enough to just turn with your foot.) You can either blend the 1st effect into the 2nd, with the 1st always being at 100%. Or you blend either of the two with either 100% the 1st and 100% the 2nd, with the middle being 50/50.

Screenshot_20210806-180421_Reverb.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.