I have an Epi valve Jr at 4ohm.

Esquire Rod

TDPRI Member
I like the combo amp and would like to expand the speaker options. Is it possible (anything's possible) and practical to increase the Ohm options?
IMG_3581.jpeg

Jowes_84

Tele-Holic
The EPI VJ was the first amp for me to modify. I ended up changing the OT for a better one. Improved the sound and made the problem of only 4 Ohm go away.

Esquire Rod

TDPRI Member
What do you mean by “increase the ohm options?” Like add an 8 and 16ohm tap? You can either get a better output transformer, get the head version, or get something like this: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amp...e-speaker-cabinet-merger?rNtt=Radial&index=26
Yes. Right now it is 4ohm. I am looking for the best options to be able to use other ohm speakers. I'm fine with the little 8" speaker in the combo but would like the option to plug into a cabinet.

Are these impedance coveters the best solution or do I need to change output transformers?
Does it matter?
If I change the OT will it change the tone of the existing speaker?

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
Yes. Right now it is 4ohm. I am looking for the best options to be able to use other ohm speakers. I'm fine with the little 8" speaker in the combo but would like the option to plug into a cabinet.

Are these impedance coveters the best solution or do I need to change output transformers?
Does it matter?
If I change the OT will it change the tone of the existing speaker?
Changing the OT will almost certainly have an effect on the tone of the amp.

I would personally do an output transformer swap, or buy a Valve Jr head. A used Valve Jr head would be about the same price as the impedance converter box thing, which kinda makes it hard for me to justify buying one.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yeah, the expense of an impedance matcher might be avoided. One other aspect is that such a tool is not tied to one amp and might be useful in many situations. It is a tool one could put to use…it could come in handy.
No affiliation with any producer of any such device do I have.

Last edited:

Esquire Rod

TDPRI Member
My Valve Jr had other taps on the OT. I just wired the 8 ohm tap to a jack for use with external cab.
Yes, it depends on the version you have.
Changing the OT will almost certainly have an effect on the tone of the amp.

I would personally do an output transformer swap, or buy a Valve Jr head. A used Valve Jr head would be about the same price as the impedance converter box thing, which kinda makes it hard for me to justify buying one.
This was my thought. If some sort of converter is a one-trick pony and costs as much as the amp is worth, what's the point? I'll just buy another head.

Now if I could find an attenuator that also is an impedance converter for less than say $200 US, that's something I could justify and it would have other applications.
I realize the Epi V jr is an inexpensive older amp but WTH did they make the V1 4ohm?

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This was my thought. If some sort of converter is a one-trick pony and costs as much as the amp is worth, what's the point? I'll just buy another head

yes, installing a multitap OT will allow you to use that amp with various speakers. With regard to an impedance matcher, they are far from being ‘one trick ponies’. Such a device would allow you to use that Epi amp with any cab/speaker load you wanted. It would also allow you to use some amp you might have in the future with any speaker load. That is far from being limited in its usefulness.
That said, it is your call. Enjoy whatever choice is made….and know that anything you do will achieve a change in sonics. Such a change is after all the point of wanting to use different speakers, correct?

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I'm a proponent of both the Z-Matcher and the Attenuator/with ohm matching.

As Wally noted, they offer great versatility. I have three different amps + various cabs with different ohm requirements. I like options. Options = versatility. And you never know what amps/cabs you're going to own down the road.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
. . . .

I realize the Epi V jr is an inexpensive older amp but WTH did they make the V1 4ohm?

The VJ is inspired by/a copy of the Champ. Most early versions of the Champ used a 3.2Ω speaker and OT, (sometimes expressed as 4Ω). Fender rarely used multi-impedance tapped OTs before the late '70s-early '80s. So the VJ seems to have continued the '50s-'60s philosophy of speaker impedance(s) for small amps.

Esquire Rod

TDPRI Member
I'm a proponent of both the Z-Matcher and the Attenuator/with ohm matching.

As Wally noted, they offer great versatility. I have three different amps + various cabs with different ohm requirements. I like options. Options = versatility. And you never know what amps/cabs you're going to own down the road.
Can you recommend an Attenuator/with ohm matching?

wrathfuldeity

Friend of Leo's
Have a Z matcher have used it extensively... great little tool can use with various amp ohms and various spkr ohms. Another benefit that it has 2 spkr outputs so you can use two spkr/separate cabs with 1 amp.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
Can you recommend an Attenuator/with ohm matching?

I have the Weber MiniMass ($186) designed for 35w amplifiers and lower. A little expensive, but it's a one-time investment for a lifetime tool. About the same cost as many guitar pedals. The attenuator works great with my Princeton Reverb clone (VSA Vintage 15).

They have they MicroMass ($139) designed for 10w amps and lower.

Both attenuators have 4, 8, 16 ohm options.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I have a Weber Hemp speaker in my Valve Jr. It's been Bitmo modded, and has a Champ transformer in it, along with JJ tubes. It's my home practice rig.
IMG_0778 (3).jpg

Dan_Pomykalski

Tele-Meister
Yes, it depends on the version you have.

This was my thought. If some sort of converter is a one-trick pony and costs as much as the amp is worth, what's the point? I'll just buy another head.

Now if I could find an attenuator that also is an impedance converter for less than say $200 US, that's something I could justify and it would have other applications.
How good are you at soldering? I made an attenuator for less than $50 with an L pad. I can’t find the site I got the idea from though.

Esquire Rod

TDPRI Member
I have the Weber MiniMass ($186) designed for 35w amplifiers and lower. A little expensive, but it's a one-time investment for a lifetime tool. About the same cost as many guitar pedals. The attenuator works great with my Princeton Reverb clone (VSA Vintage 15).

They have they MicroMass ($139) designed for 10w amps and lower.

Both attenuators have 4, 8, 16 ohm options.
I see where the micromass has several ohm options but not where is ohm matches. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I see where the micromass has several ohm options but not where is ohm matches. Perhaps I'm missing something.

From the online Weber Attenuator FAQ (You have to acknowledge you have read it before they'll sell you the product). You can also contact Weber for more detailed info as needed:

WHY ARE THERE TWO SPEAKER OUTPUT JACKS? The two speaker output jacks are in parallel. With all Weber attenuators, once you have selected the proper impedance to match the output impedance of the amp, the actual speaker impedance isn’t critical. That’s because the actual load to the attenuator becomes the speaker impedance plus the output section of the attenuator, while the amp continues to see the correct nominal impedance from the input section of the attenuator. That’s why, on the MASS, we provide two speaker output jacks. Feel free to experiment with different impedance speakers, cabinets, etc. (This only means that the impedance will be matched when you have the attenuator engaged. If the unit is on bypass, it will not do any impedance correction.)