I have a Victoria 35310, am I crazy for wanting to get a Tweed Pro vs a Bassman?

Zzpomzz

TDPRI Member
Weird thing. I tour and play out professionally (mostly harmonica though). Amazingly the one amp I’ve never owned truly is a 410 bassman. I’ve had similar amps but always skipped by. I inherited a 310 bandmaster amp from a friend and love it. It has a big sound that’s grindy if I want it to be. From what I call compared to a bassman, it seems more mid rangey? But honestly, it seems very similar volume and I’ve never had a scenario it wasn’t enough.

Well, I’ve been without a backup or second amp for awhile and I really need one. I’ve been considering a bassman but iffy because that could legit just replace the 310 and make it the official backup. I also considered.m a 1x15 bassman but I don’t think I can do without an alnico speaker setup. So this leads me to the tweed pro.

is it insane to just get practically the same amp? My mentality is neither are insanely different but the speakers might give a different flavor and ability to throw for different rooms/outside without one being seriously quieter or louder. Unless I’m totally wrong and the 15 is either super quiet or insanely louder somehow which is fine I suppose.

any thoughts? I’m pretty torn. I know what a bassman sounds like, pretty typical shapeable sound. Bandmaster is pretty similar just less big lows I feel like. What would I gain or lose going one way or the other?

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Scratching my head. Only you can decide what works best for you.
It reads like you think the Bassman is your best choice. Quote, “I think it would legitimately become my number one.” Sounds like the winner for you.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Weird thing. I tour and play out professionally (mostly harmonica though). Amazingly the one amp I’ve never owned truly is a 410 bassman. I’ve had similar amps but always skipped by. I inherited a 310 bandmaster amp from a friend and love it. It has a big sound that’s grindy if I want it to be. From what I call compared to a bassman, it seems more mid rangey? But honestly, it seems very similar volume and I’ve never had a scenario it wasn’t enough.

Well, I’ve been without a backup or second amp for awhile and I really need one. I’ve been considering a bassman but iffy because that could legit just replace the 310 and make it the official backup. I also considered.m a 1x15 bassman but I don’t think I can do without an alnico speaker setup. So this leads me to the tweed pro.

is it insane to just get practically the same amp? My mentality is neither are insanely different but the speakers might give a different flavor and ability to throw for different rooms/outside without one being seriously quieter or louder. Unless I’m totally wrong and the 15 is either super quiet or insanely louder somehow which is fine I suppose.

any thoughts? I’m pretty torn. I know what a bassman sounds like, pretty typical shapeable sound. Bandmaster is pretty similar just less big lows I feel like. What would I gain or lose going one way or the other?
i agree with recce

Zzpomzz

TDPRI Member
To be fair to myself, I do say this because the Bassman would essentially be bigger, louder, etc. why even pack the Bandmaster when the 3 pound extra amp can cover the bases? But that also doesn’t necessarily mean it does it as well also.

Scratching my head. Only you can decide what works best for you.
It reads like you think the Bassman is your best choice. Quote, “I think it would legitimately become my number one.” Sounds like the winner for you.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
No idea on the harmonica angle. For guitar, I can definitely relate. My first tweed was a Clark Tyger (bandmaster) with built in reverb. Great amp in so many ways, but for some reason, not a keeper for me. I traded it for a Victoria tweed pro and some other gear. And there was a sound and feel I could really love. (It helps that I love 15" speakers.) Later on I got a tweed bassman replica, totally loved that amp. Very different than the bandmaster. Much bigger sound in the room. There is a magic to the 4x10 format, you don't really get any other way.

Completely a matter of personal taste. I had to downsize, now have a 1x12 and 1x15. Much as I love the tweed bassman, it was just too much, too heavy, for most of my needs.

JRapp

Tele-Afflicted
Wilson used brown Pros for a while, Harman used his cream Pros, they sounded like anything else they played through. It ain't the amp---I played with Snooky Pryor/Mojo Buford/Lazy Lester/etc/etc and they played through the PA and blew the roof off. And I really don't get the harp/tweed Bassman thing---none of the four W's, Cotton, Carey Bell, George Smith, etc played through those things.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
the 35310 is 5e4/5e5a/5e7 architecture if i'm not mistaken. it's basically a tweed bandmaster. the only difference between those amps was the speaker config. it's a cathode follower into a weirdo treble/bass section and then into a gain stage + split load pi. the circuit is the same across all three.

a tweed bassman is a "traditional"-ish TMB tonestack with a cathode follower before and a long tail pair PI. it's the same as a high power twin and a jtm45.

a tweed pro would be a dumb move because it's basically the exact same thing with a different speaker combo. a tweed bassman is a different amp altogether.

if you want a different speaker config, put a different baffle into the victoria, or throw the 35310 into an aftermarket head enclosure that accomodates the 5e4/5e5/5e7 chassis and just get an external cab.

Last edited:

Tele-Meister
I can tell you this one sounds great with a harmonica! Guitar also.. :D (it's just the 518 at the front!)

20211129_221242.jpg

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Wait - You already own a 5E7????
If Little Walter was a psychiatrist he'd
have You committed.

Maybe a Deluxe for emergencies BUT
PAL You've already got the ultimate.

Just get a Green Bullet and refine your
chops.

Thinline casket

Tele-Meister
I have no problem owning 2 amps that are extremely similar. If one goes to the tech you still have "your" sound.

The only problem is that you'll want a 3rd that's different. :D:D:D

ocduff

Tele-Meister
Bassmans are cool as are Bandmasters.

I have been on a buying spree the last few years and now find myself with 9 amps and truly, I know which 4 I should keep - which I think if a very sane number for a guy like me - and now I’m in the unenviable position of listing and shipping them or justifying them as a savings account that I can play.

I will admit that at 9 amps, I feel a little crazy. But that’s just me. It is my passion and hobby and my one indulgence in life but still, it’s a bit much. However, I don’t WANT anymore amps so maybe this is my safe number.

So buy whatever you want until you get to the point that you feel crazy. Or buy and sell the one that isn’t a keeper.