I have a theory (clean, crunch and echoplex involved)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DaphneBlue, Oct 12, 2019 at 3:55 AM.

1. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Rig: jazzmaster --> catalinbread belle epoch --> princeton or blues cube (both played with their own reverbs)

Here it is:

I don't think I've discovered some unrevealed truth but I think we never say it enough. If you add an echoplex preamp in your signal chain, clean sounds and crunch get better.

Clean sounds: my guitar gets more resonance. A wider panel of frequencies are involved and it seems to become alive and intense. It's true for an electric guitar but it's especially true for acoustic guitars and hollow bodies.

Crunch: the attack is more powerful. I also observe that my intentions are more obvious. It's especially true in my case as I play with my fingers and there's no overdrive in my pedals. I keep the amp clean and it breaks up if I decide to play my guitar more powerfully.

Well, that's all I wanted to say. I'd love to read your opinion on the topic!

2. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Yup.
    I always use a preamp now.
    I had an Xotic EP booster, and when it was engaged it was literally like taking a blanket off of my rig.
    I’ve since moved on to a Nocturne Mystery Brain. It’s an incredible pedal that uses the preamp from a Space Echo RE-301 (as opposed to an echoplex), but also has an amazing digi-tape delay.
    Nocturne also sells a version with just the preamp called the dynoBrain and one with the preamp plus a boost called the Atomic Brain.

I’ve found this preamp circuit is brighter than the EP circuit. There’s a lot more articulation.
    It’s particularly great for my Gretsch’s, but it’s equally great for my tele.
    It gives the low strings more punch, and strengthens the highs. Lots of articulation and definition, even with overdriven power chords. Every note in a chord has a voice.

I sold my EP boost to a friend of mine who keeps it on at all times.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 5:22 AM
    DaphneBlue likes this.
  3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

"If you add an echoplex preamp in your signal chain, clean sounds and crunch get better."

This is true from my experience. There's a simulation of the Echoplex preamp around.
    https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ep101-7-10137-06930-5.do

https://tonereport.com/reviews/dunlop-ep101-echoplex-preamp

DaphneBlue likes this.
  4. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Nocturne Brains products have been on my list for a long time. They are so great! Thanks for the details on the preamps! Gas is on!

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  5. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

DaphneBlue likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

There's something magic about those preamps

DaphneBlue likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Same as stacking gain in regular pedals... There is magic with two set low that you can't get with one set at max.

I do it with a pair of DS-1s since I have two and no TS.

DaphneBlue and Marquee Moon like this.
  9. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

Well, there is a reason Jimmy Page was known to use an echoplex as a preamp. It hink Brian May did aswell. I want to buy one, but even those solid state ep 3's are going for too much. I may need to just take a hit, and grab an ep 2 before they are all gone.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 10:59 PM
    DaphneBlue likes this.
  10. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

wasn't it the same principle in old recording? stacking compressors with an eq and other effects to tape?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.