I have a rosewood neck sitting here and I want a new tele but I'm broke!!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by dreamingtele, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

So, I have this WD Music Rosewood neck that I love thats just sitting here until I can get funds for a new body, pickups and hardware.. U-vintage, 6105 frets, and fat as...

This will be thinline build, not sure if I want a cabronita style or a 69 thinline..

This is killing me!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I’d get a second job or mow some lawns if I was Jonesing that bad with no funds. Or sell something. Once you get the funds keep us posted.

Tonetele likes this.
  3. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

Yep,you can cut spending for a bit.
    Look for gigs on CL...

It is a great looking neck.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice neck, sell it to me :D

5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Inspiration for builds always seems to come from a single part. In your case the neck, for me that last 2 were from the unique body. Each project normally takes me months buying a part at a time until I have it all assembled. My reclaimed pine build took me 3 months to finish the body alone and another 2 months to compile the parts. The good news is that you already have the most expensive part in your hand.

6. dreamingtele

the funny thing is, I want another one, but CITES regulation is in the way.. I cant buy from US and have it shipped here in Oz!!

I got this from a bloke who used it for around 6months and couldnt bond with the neck thats around 1inch thick.. I love thick necks and I've always wondered why Fender wont make a thick neck with a rosewood board!

I installed this on an American Pro (thats long gone). I kept this because I can never get another one like this, unless I go to US, and put it in my luggage and bring it home..

This is how it looked on it..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This neck is going to my grave!

ejphotos, nnieman, 4pickupguy and 6 others like this.
  7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

That's a beautiful neck.
    What does your coffee table look like?

Bikersluggo likes this.
  8. dreamingtele

I dont have a coffee table, but I have a dining table made of oak.

Zepfan and src9000 like this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have that same neck, and I too bought it on impulse, without thinking through the fact that I was gonna need a body. What a dufus... In a clever way... :twisted:

I got to choppin' on a hunk of alder, and a few thousand hours later I have this. The neck is HUGE! It's like playing someone's leg.

20181103_001836.jpg 20181101_024043.jpg 20181103_001843.jpg

10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Be patient. During the recession I was still employed. I bought lots of parts. Now I'm (ironically) unemployed and building them. A body will happen. Love that neck by the way and wished I had it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

in my vision,

I want a relic/closet classic at the least Aztec/shoreline Gold double bound thinline body.. I just couldnt decide if I want TV jones cabronita style or just a normal 69 thinline routed body..

MJT's seem to cost a fortune having it shipped here and I just dont win (I tried countless times and always got outbid a minute before bidding ends), and I dont want to buy a loaded from Stratosphere because its feels like I'm settling because Im impatient and just want to have a tele! LOL

12. dreamingtele

I remember now. I think you first put it on a 64 body?

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing feels the way an unfinished rosewood neck does. Thats a purdy one! My avatar guitar (my #1) has a neck like that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, just for testing. Because the AV64 is pretty special, and I don't do anything to it except play it. I made an exception, but was real glad to rejoin AV64 body and neck...

The neck is super bright, on every body I've tried it on. And though the heel looks correct, it needs a tiny reverse shim, again on every body. In the blue guitar, I've wired the bridge pickup with a resistor, bringing the combined resistance from 250k down to around 90k. Interestingly, at that point, even 5k makes a noticeable difference. Now it sounds like it should.

Hope you get to work on yours soon.

15. dreamingtele

I got the same tones. I also thought that it would give a really warm tone but it was bright bright bright.. i had to dial down my amp’s treble knob and increase bass.

Here’s how it sounded with a 2pc Alder American Pro body, all stock with Am Pro pickups, I’m using the neck pickup and being in front of the amp, it sounded like the bridge.

I traded my AmPro (back to stock with it’s maple neck) for my grail. An AVRI62.

Please excuse my sloppy playing, I’m not really good despite playing for 20 sum years.

moosie likes this.
  16. dreamingtele

This is true! Im paranoid that the wood may warp or something because its unfinished.. Im always getting reassured by my luthier that rosewood doesnt need a finish.

4pickupguy likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

He’s right. It doesn‘t. This gives it that super soft, frictionless, classic natural feel. I like treating mine to a little rosewood oil about twice a year. Thats about all they need. They oxidize and take on a beautiful dark patina over a few years and just get better and better. Mine is due a refret soon... Rosewood necks do tend to produce some brightness as noted above so something to consider when picking out a body.

Here is little wing on my rosewood neck/swamp ash bodied tele.

This neck currently mounted to a Paulownia body (current#1 called Eva) and it is by far favorite body wood.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    moosie likes this.
  18. dreamingtele

I've used this

[​IMG]

Before and After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow! That sounds really nice!! I wonder what wood body would really suit such a bright sounding neck? Ash? Alder? Mahogany?

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Send it to me! I'm just up the road.

dreamingtele likes this.
  20. dreamingtele

Oh man, there were times im tempted to sell this to fund a new tele but i cant get another one of this because of Cites!

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.