I have a difficult decision to make

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hamfists, Apr 20, 2018.

1. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

I need a little help, I think I know what I’ll do but I’m not 100% sure yet. I need to come up with some cash so I’m going to be selling some gear but I can’t decide what I’ll be selling. I have some options which are

Go down to 1 guitar (tele) 1 amp plus pedals

Keep my three guitars and sell the amp and pedals and go with a modelling amp

Sell 1 guitar keep pedals maybe sell a couple and get a cheaper tube amp.

I’m only a home player so I don’t need volume but I do love a tube amp.
    I’ve collected my gear over a few years and Ive become quite attached with it especially the guitars my wife bought me but needs must and something has to go.

Any advice or view would be great plus any suggestions on amps modelling and cheap tube amps.

Thanks in advance.

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

keep fav guitar and fav amp..that is "your sound" ..its priceless

JustABluesGuy and 8barlouie like this.
  3. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Sorry to hear you're having to sell some stuff to make ends meet. I imagine I will be in your position at some point in my future.

Personally I would try to determine what's the least easy to replace and sell those last.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

It sucks having to sell stuff. Sell as little as you have to, and don't get rid of the sentimental/irreplaceable things. Good luck!

Also just my opinion, but if you're needing to sell stuff, I wouldn't go out and buy a whole replacement amp - just stick with the amp you have for now. For me new gear almost always falls into the "want it" category and not the "need it" category.

JustABluesGuy and Evil Funk like this.
  5. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Or.... what I've done before in tighter spots... Get more work - help a couple more bands out?

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't gotten paid yet for 3 gigs, last week I sold gear to get groceries. Nothing wrong with doing what you gotta do. On the plus side I just got a huge tip on a gig at an amphitheater a couple days ago.

Which helped soften the blow of one of my powered mains getting blown over by a crazy gust of wind into a drainage ditch full of mucky something and almost completely submerged.

So now I know in fine detail how to fix this model after the unseemly task of taking it apart and cleaning what smelled like sewage out of every inch haha

7. William Pugh

William Pugh TDPRI Member

This ^^^^

8. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

It’s not essential that I sell some stuff I’m not going to go hungry or anything but I don’t get to play as much as I would like and seams dumb having £1000s in gear.

ladave likes this.
  9. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I am in the same situation as the business revenue has come to a dead stop for the last 2 months and Uncle Sam took the rest. I have far more guitars and amps than I should have, but they are all very nice equipment that I really am attached to, but I am also attached to things like food and shelter so they are going up for sale. The question is which ones? My conclusion was that things which could be replaced easier were to be the first things listed. If they are current production items, they go first while the vintage stuff stays right were they are. That way when (if) business turns around, I could always replace the items that I lost down the road if desired.

As long as you have one acoustic, one good electric, and a couple of amps for low volume and gig level life goes on. I haven't been able to get my list down to anything lower than 6 instruments and 5 amps thus far, but I will have to try. There is a wise old saying in this world "Never love something that can't love you back" and it applies here as well.

10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Do what you have to do .
    Everything can be replaced and with even better gear .

8barlouie likes this.
  11. RM8485

RM8485 TDPRI Member

If it's not essential that you sell anything than I would keep the guitars, since you stated a sentimental attachment to them, which is not something that can be replaced. Unfortunately in my limited experience guitars tend to sell quicker than amps or pedals.

12. hamfists

hamfists Tele-Meister

I guess it’s a case of want or need. I don’t need any of them but I want all of them.

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Keep what your wife got you and sell the rest. It's only gear and family needs come first.

Evil Funk and tery like this.
  14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I’m pretty much in the gotta sell to pay the rent boat. I agree with the idea that you keep your number one guitar and amp off the market unless it’s a true emergency. First to go would be those things that you’re not bonded with or that can be easily replaced.

Timing is another thing. It seems that the market is kinda slow right now, so if it’s not going to help pay the rent or groceries, it might be worth waiting.

15. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

One Tele plus Fender tweed amp and sell all the pedals.

Evil Funk and oldfish like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

C'mon. Wait. Just wait. Play your gear and get out of the instant gratification mode. You can do it. I know you can. Save your pennies and you will appreciate your purchase much more down the road.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  17. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

Obsessed has the best advice.
    Think about it. How do you come up with cash by selling then buying? Play what you have and save some bucks. Maybe just mix things up a little and good luck.

18. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I've come to regret every guitar I've sold except one or two. My divorce cost me four guitars and a bass that can't be replaced, let alone with anything better that I know of.

I won't bore you with details, but...be very careful about selling off any rare instruments, or those with sentimental value. Ask me how I know. :oops::cry:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.