I have a confession to make...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scrimmer, Jun 4, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Shuster, Dan R, DekeDog and 1 other person like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I think I understand the predilection of having bagpipes played at funerals in movies and such. If the mourners aren't mourning properly, when the bagpiper comes sauntering into sight from the foggy mist, if the mourners aren't sick with mourning, at least they will be sick, which will to the casual observer be sufficient.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yes. repent and give into the sound of purging redemption

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I'm right there with you Bill!

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Certainly a thread to be take seriously. Stock Joke: He's Scotch-Irish >pause> but it's mostly about the Scotch. I'm a bourbon and beer guy myself.

Shuster likes this.
  6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Gentlemen, I feel I must enlighten you on the difference between Scotch and Scotsman. Scotch is a drink, a whiskey brewed in Scotland. A Scotsman is a human (sometimes) being that wears a ceremonial skirt otherwise known as a Kilt which would be made using a tartan material of colors and pattern of his Clan. Bagpipes (or agony bags as I call them) were adopted by the Scots to make loud wailing noises to frighten the poor Englishman into running as fast and far as he could leaving his property to be ransacked etc. I am of Scottish descent of the Strachan Clan (pronounced Strak-han ) and were from the Aberdeen area. The Strachans were a clan of Brigands Murderers and Thieves.(we haven't changed) My Grandfather travelled south into England looking for work as an engineer and settled in Guildford where he found work as a fitter/turner. My Dad was born in Guildford in 1911 and moved to Bristol before serving in the Merchant Navy during WW2. The info below I found with help from Mr Google.. S

When you think about bagpipes, you automatically associate them with Scotland. The origin of bagpipes however are nowhere near the Highlands of Scotland but presumably lie somewhere in the Middle East, in ancient Mesopotamia. Thanks to troubadours (traveling musicians) the instrument reached several places throughout Europe. The Romans also played a major part in the distribution of the bagpipes. The Roman army used to march to bagpipe music. Some historians even suggest that Emperor Nero was a piper himself. The Romans introduced the bagpipes into Scotland. In those days Scotland was known as 'Caledonia'. In Scotland the bagpipes started to lead a life of their own, but the pipes developed in different ways in other countries in Europe as well. That's why we know so many sorts of bagpipes today. Remainders of these are the Musette in France, the Gaita in Spain and Portugal, the Zumarah in Egypt, the Uillean pipes in Ireland, and many more.

Various forms of bagpipes have been attributed to many ancient civilizations. A style of bagpipe is mentioned in the Old Testament of the Bible. Some historians believe the bagpipes had their origin in Sumaria. While others believe it was spread to Persia, India, and the Roman Empire by the Celtic peoples. An Athenian dramatist, writing in the fifth century BC, mentioned the bagpipe.

Contrary to popular belief, the bagpipes are not of Scottish or Irish origin. The first version of the instrument can be traced back to the Middle East several centuries before the birth of Christ. It was most likely a rather crude instrument comprised of reeds stuck into a goatskin bag. As civilization spread throughout the Middle East and into the Mediterranean lands, the people brought along their music.

Scotlands traditions all originated from elsewhere. Both the kilt and the haggis are of English origin, whilst the bagpipes originated from the middle-east and first brought to England via the romans. The Romans never invaded Scotland, who later took up the bagpipes along with the haggis and kilt and claimed them as their own.

The Scottish brigands murderers and thieves used bagpipes to scare the English with the wailing sound which caused them to run away leaving their homes open to burglary.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My sister's first marriage was to a guy who had Scottish ancestry. Apparently that was enough for him to demand bagpipe musicians at their wedding. It seemed like a joke but he was serious and the noise made me want to pull my d*** off. They did the wedding march and everything. He was from the U.S., had no accent at all. That would be like me, 1/4 Hispanic, having a mariachi band at my wedding with sombreros, ponchos, etc.

scrimmer and Piggy Stu like this.
  8. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

upload_2019-6-6_9-41-45.jpeg

Fifteenth century painting of bagpipes being used to torture people in hell. upload_2019-6-6_9-41-45.jpeg
    Hieronymus Bosch

9. BigDaddyLH

Piggy Stu and Treadplatedual like this.
  10. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I'm not a Scot by any stretch of the lineage. I have spent some time in Scotland on holiday/vacation, and I hope to go back again. It is a truly wonderful place, and in general I find the Scots more fun to be around than the English. I mean, fire-breathing bagpipes! Most English would be a bit too embarrassed to contemplate doing that for more than a second.

Pipes are a Celtic thing with some bleed to nearby people. I'd say the Scots took the pipes as far as they can go really. But look into the Northumbrain pipes. These are a bit more delicate sounding. Look up Kathryn Tickell. Lovely stuff.

Daniel

11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Kathryn Tickell for the win! I like bagpipes well enough but have to admit I don't listen to them constantly. The Northumbrian variety sound a bit more like an oboe.

I like Celtic music and play it quite a bit including all those annoying triplets. That said, I also generally prefer somewhat modernized arrangements such as this one:

This combines bagpipes, fiddle, metal, and techno. Run away if you like, just leaves more for me.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

How are ye with uilleann pipes?

Frankly, bagpipes (and uilleann pipes) make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, better than a spicy Tex/Mex salsa.

Bob

Digital Larry likes this.
  13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

If you don't like Irn Bru I do not accept you as Scots, even if you are a violent ginger man in a pleated skirt

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It's OK. I'm French Canadian, I don't play hockey and I still have my front teeth.

15. BigDaddyLH

I'm Canadian and I don't care about the Raptors. Not interest in the NBA. Sorry, Drake.

[​IMG]

16. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

love the bagpipes.love the dropkicks.love the banjo too.i've got issues....

Greggorios and GibbyTwin like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No, but the way you throw money around does !

Lotta words, lotta words and - ladies and gentlemen , American jazz musician of the 60’s (on the Atlantic label !) Rufus Harley !

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

What the OP hates, is what everyone hates, including pipers. Too loud, and too many folks trying to play them, that can't.

There are smaller pipes, kitchen pipes?, that ought to be much more popular. And those still need a mute.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

A Scottish gentleman is a man that knows how to play the bagpipes but doesn't.

If you want to hear bagpipes being played the go to a Military Tattoo where the Gurkha Regimental Band is performing as they feature the bagpipes and where-as the normal marching tempo is a 120 beats per minute the Gurkhas' march at 140 bpm. But don't ask one of them to show you his Kukri.. S

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Well I must admit that I attend the local tattoo whenever I can, and it happens to be the largest in North America. Thots a LOT o' keening.

[​IMG]

Bob

Greggorios and GibbyTwin like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.