I have a buddy a guitar today ...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

My neice started music program at the library where she works. I donated a Squier Strat. The library wasn't too jazzed about that prospect, even though I didn't have an amp to send with it.
    It all worked out: one of the girls in the program fell in love with the guitar, so my niece gave it to her.

P-Nutz likes this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I do not feel comfortable owning more than two guitars at once. Each time I’ve bought a new one, I sold another.
    But I had an old MIJ Jaguar that I had modified with jazzmaster pickups: it sounds and plays really good, but because it was quite beaten up from gigs and modified, I could not have sold it for much. I decided to give it to a friend as a nice surprise and he loves it as much as I loved to give it to him!

P-Nutz likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Keep up the good work, y'all. I've been fortunate enough to give away a few - family and friends mostly; one to a school. Spread the love.

P-Nutz and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You have to be quick though, the little boogers go to yellin' and takin' on right away.

P-Nutz and 24 track like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

I have given some guitars away, but I don't remember ever having anyone go on an play as a result. Really just kind of wasted effort. Gave one away to someone that thought I could just show them how to play, like you would show them how to open a car door. They actually didn't realize you would have to work at it. They still have the guitar. Maybe one day.

P-Nutz likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

not a guitar but a kid i work with is a rapper , he rattled off a 5 min rap of the top of his head keeping perfect meter while another song was playing in the background and never lost focus or Rhyme, I was impressed ,although not my forte ( and really not anything I'm into)
    so I gave him a mic, stand / boom , balanced and unbalanced cables, a small 6 chanel mixer and a rhyming dictionary to set up a small system at home .

P-Nutz, P Thought and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

I'm gonna have to ask you turn around and face the wall sir. Just snug these handcuffs up there. Not too tight sir? Okay then. What's that? Oh I'm arresting you for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

jglenn, suthol and 24 track like this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've given away probably a dozen to my own offspring and other relatives, also to kids and colleagues at school. Most of them were "lawsuit" Takamine acoustics that I won on e-Bay auctions. One was my first guitar. I discovered over time that, cool as the faux-Martin Taks were, some of the later models (especially with wide necks) suited me better. A couple times I have bought guitars specifically to give to someone who needed one.

I've given away amps, too, at least three or four times.

This is not only because I'm a nice, generous person, though I try to be that. I give away things to make room, and I hate everything about the process of selling guitar stuff.

P-Nutz and brookdalebill like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stoopid babies!

mkdaws32 likes this.
  10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I gave Amp once, effect knob was a little broken. I wanted 50 $ for amp, although frriend wasnt rich or in good mental situation. It was peavey vip 2

P-Nutz likes this.
  11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

In the last couple of years, I gave an acoustic to the boys next door and my clear ash MIM tele and an amplifier to the daughter of a really good friend. She is really talented, loves to perform country music and is studying to be a music teacher.

P-Nutz and thunderbyrd like this.
  12. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

My young brother is on a disability pension so always short of cash but is always there to help out in any way he can which includes cash which is something he is seriously short of.

Anyway to cut to the chase, he obtains guitars and passes them on fairly regularly one of which a couple of years ago was a beautiful old D'Angelico, he was sitting around jamming and having a beer with a few friends and one of the mate's sons asked for a strum, when he handed it back to Ian he said " you keep it mate you're a better player than me and it deserves you " ( I could have choked him )

He also had a play through my little Mustang 1 house amp and liked it and went to buy himself one, the shop only had one so he got that and a similar little Vox, told his mate to pick the one he liked and to keep it, Ian has the Vox and his mate the Mustang.

There's good people and there's good people

P-Nutz likes this.
  13. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I gave a guitar student a teal stripe Peavey Bandit and a set of EMG pickups for his strat. He loves em’!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P-Nutz likes this.
  14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

shoot, i've gived people on this forum gitars... and dang near stranglers too.

P-Nutz and Mike SS like this.
  15. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

getbent knows all about gooder inglish talkin' so pay tenshun!

I gave young man who was learning bass guitar, but had no amp, an SWR LA8 bass amp. I purchased a Peavey Express 112 from a pawn shop and gave it to a young man who is studying guitar. He had a Squier Strat his uncle gave him, but no amp and no money to get one. I recently donated an Ibanez J-style bass to the local middle school for students to use. Their loaners were getting pretty banged up after years of use, so my donation was appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    P-Nutz likes this.
  16. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Oh, I have given a few away here and there. Mostly because I wanted to be nice to people. Mostly they appreciate it.

P-Nutz likes this.
  17. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

This is a Great place to pass on those unwanted Honey's!! They like Acoustic's more, which speaks for it's self;)

http://guitars4vets.org/

P-Nutz likes this.
  18. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

New band alert!

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a few times, but I'm not really generous with stuff.
    Attachment is one of my issues I guess.
    I've often pushed someone to try playing music when they're afraid it's too late or they'll never be any good.
    Loaned instruments without fully expecting to t get them back.
    I generally only buy fairly good guitars at the limits of my budget, and just have trouble giving that away.
    I gave a guitar to a shop after they accidentally sold me a vintage Fuzz wah for what they paid.
    Didn't have the extra $100 but was glad to give them an Epi LP Jr.
    Made them happy too.
    There I wasn't really giving as much as paying back.

Good on you all who are generous with stuff.

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I once saw a bumper sticker that said, 'you never own anything until you give it away' I followed that car for like half the afternoon but the driver said she was married.

telemnemonics and P-Nutz like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.