I have a Baja Tele and.......

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Butch Snyder, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

I have a used 2006 Baja Tele. 2006 was their inaugural year; so I feel pretty fortunate that I found it. It's a desert sand finish. When I bought it, the previous owner (was he the original owner? I don't know) had done a real hack job on the electronics. He removed the S1 switch; which I'm ok with. He damaged the 4-way switch. After I bought the guitar, I ordered a new 4-way Tele assembly; which came with a switch, 250k vol/tone pots, and a 0.47uF cap.

He had also replaced the single ply white pickguard with a black bakelite guard. IMO, single ply black guards should not be on opaque guitars. Original pickups are in it. I decided to route the body and install a middle pickup; which I do often. Every week, I change something. I add a middle pickup and change the pickups out. Next week, I might put the 56/58 single-ply white pickguard on and just do a three way switch and remove the middle pickup. Or I might remove that pickguard and install a multi-ply parchment pickguard (no neck pickup adjustment holes).

Bottom line is I have a great guitar here and I'm getting tired of doing all this stuff and changing everything. I know no one can cure me of this fickleness; but some other ideas might help.

Fretting out and macatt like this.
  2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, can't help. The sickness has to run its course.

LunarSlingShot and bender66 like this.
  3. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

Play more, tweak less

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hatfield92, AlbertaGriff and Teleterr like this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Play it until it crumbles into dust ;).

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The main idea of the Baja is the electronics. Have you played an unabused one ?

6. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's a disease that has to run it's course. You'll either outlast it or it'll kill you, but it will end someday.

I'm lucky, I don't have this particular disease with guitars - I just love to play the damn things. But I had it with bicycles, so I fully understand. Fortunately, I lived and it died, but it was touch and go there for a while...

Fretting out and Luis Mendo like this.
  7. raysachs

I thought the main idea of the Baja was the neck and the electronics were something you either liked or not, changed or not, used or not.

Fretting out, tele12, Milspec and 2 others like this.
  8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Hard to believe, but these quotes are from the SAME POST!

My advice would be to get a set of two great pickups, choose a pickguard you like, and play the guitar!

Fretting out, Hatfield92 and dannyh like this.
  9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yeah, both, but you can get a Baja neck off of eBay and slap it on a normal electronics body.

10. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

I'm not. I have this with guitars I don't play enough, MTBs I don't ride enough and an old triumph car that spends most of the time with the bonnet up and the dash apart.
    But hey...it's all about the journey.

awasson and raysachs like this.
  11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

The advice in reply to your question has to be like all other threads on here - 'dude, buy a baja'

When you post that you own 2 and what next, u gonna get the same advice - even if you owned an infinite number

On a less serious note, if you are not happy with the neck and pickups, get the 60s baja instead? Or give up guitar?

I am pretty good accepting a guitar as is and not changing it

12. raysachs

Of course. Or you can buy a full Baja and mess about with the electronics... It's not a moral choice. They guy HAS the Baja, so if he wants to change the electronics...

dannyh likes this.
  13. Butch Snyder

I know I should just shut up and play. Fickleness is a curse. I will say that I have been working on keeping the finish from chipping off. I have read some real horror stories about the old desert sand finishes chipping. I have even seen some cases where the owner will go ahead and literally chip the finish off to reveal a really nicely-grained ash body. Those thoughts have crossed my mind as well.

14. Butch Snyder

Yeah, I know; but my modifications are clean and pro level. This guy really hacked it up.

15. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Butch didn't change the electronics, it came that way. If it was standard his problem of tinkeritis might never have arisen. I always mod my guitars, but the Baja has so much going on that I haven't. I' m only Luke warm on the bridge p-up, but won t replace it because the series sound is so good, as is the 1/2 OoP.

16. Butch Snyder

I did change out the pickups last weekend. The CS Broadcaster and Twisted Tele neck pickups are good; but not quite what I'm after. I have a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups from a Deluxe Nashville Tele. I installed the neck and bridge pickups and have the middle pickup sitting there waiting to be installed.

17. raysachs

I loved the Baja when I had one, but I love the tele for it's simplicity and the Baja was as un-simple as a tele gets. Or close. People always told me, you don't have to USE the S1 or the 4th position. But when they're there, you use them, or I do anyway. It was cluttering up my mind. I have a strat for that and I LOVE my strat, but I didn't want that in a tele. I get why people love them, but I didn't, except for the neck. I was either gonna change out the electronics or get a different tele. I ended up with a Roadworn 50s, which for ME is the perfect tele. So, problem solved. I even like the neck more than the one on the Baja, and that's a VERY high bar...

-Ray

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    GuitarKid and Butch Snyder like this.
  18. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ll just put this here to keep the creative juices flowing. ...and yes, that is a 4-way selector and an S-1 switch in the middle.

626DA92E-9C26-4CF9-B635-32FB5DC61B2C.jpeg E56B15E8-3FDC-46F3-9CF4-E618089CA2A2.jpeg

EDIT: Clearly not a Baja but it has a Twisted in the neck and something similar to a broadcaster bridge and I had it wired like a Baja for a while. It’s ever changing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Piggy Stu likes this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I often think of upgrading my Baja. Then I think "Meh, that is a lot of work. I need to play more!" and the feeling passes.

However, the only things I want to upgrade are:
    • Compensated saddles. I really don't need them, I just like the idea.
    • New jack. Mine is fine, but that might avoid problems later on.
    • Remove the S1. I like the 4 way, I just don't use the S1. It has not caused any problems.
    • Fret level. I may still have that done. I have one or two that are a bit tall around the 15th fret. Maybe find them and give them a mild shave?
    Fortunately, I love that guitar, and playing it kills the upgrade GAS.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  20. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

My bsb Baja has been my go to guitar for ages. Totally standard and a great player. I do use the S1 sometimes and even if you don't it doesn't take up space and still leaves the four way switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.