1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I hate wagon wheel

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by T Prior, Jan 25, 2021.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Of course you would be free to leave the venue ! lol

You are making an assumption that everyone plays in a venue where all attendees are sitting or standing, with 100% focus on watching the band !

I got some bad news for you, that's not a typical gig for working players, be it a Bar, Festival, Dance , Wine room etc...

Why is it we think they keep yelling at us to "Turn it Down " ? Because we are interfering with whatever else they may be doing, like talking to each other or trying to pick up a gal or guy etc...! :eek:

Most bands and performers are part of the "environment". THATS A GOOD THING. People may sing along to a song they know, or maybe not. They may pay attention, they may not. The live music is an added plus to the social environment , or in the case of a DANCE, to provide the music to DANCE to! Good bands play music people can dance to. Not all bands play music people can dance to, even though they think they can.

Working bands are not responsible to give a visually pleasing presence to people who may be watching. They are responsible to play good songs and play them well. Songs people can relate to. We've never lost a gig because we were not looking energetic on stage, but we have lost gigs because we didn't play material that the "attendees" could connect with or in some cases, could not dance to.

IF all we ( you) do is attend shows where its all about the band on stage, (maybe originals) then sure. But I seriously doubt that a band playing a SHOW/CONCERT are playing any material that they are not trying to present with maximum energy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Bad usually sounds awful - bad material, or bad execution. If you are pleasing a crowd, it means two things: the crowd has communicated it's pleasure, and that you have a crowd. There's a rumor, those two are diabolically linked.

Mexitele Blues and T Prior like this.
  3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Important note: Johnson City is actually EAST of the Cumberland Gap.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  4. T Prior

Just up the road from Kingsport, was my service territory for quite a while . I travelled from Charlotte to Kingsport and /or thru Johnson City for years . Heck of a ride going over the Mountain in a snow storm over to Asheville ! :eek:

Bruxist likes this.
  5. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Kingsport is my hometown! Born and raised. My folks still live there. I think this is the longest I have ever been away...

6. Musekatcher

And, "I pick a banjo now" is notional. As far as I know, OCMS has never had a genuine banjo picker what picks a banjo using banjo picking. But I admire the envy to do so. :)

7. T Prior

right, its a figure of speech. If we hang around Nashville they will ask, "you a picker " ? Even if we play piano ! We are a Piano picker ! :)

8. Musekatcher

I think Lester Flatt coined that term for making his kind of music. "What ya'll up to this weekend? Pickin?" or, "We can't get much out of him since he took up pickin'." No doubt, brought to wider audiences as the Pickin and Grinnin skit on He# [email protected] It now means making country or bluegrass music.

T Prior likes this.
  9. T Prior

I think it goes further than that, I think it means "do you play a musical instrument " !

The very fist time I heard the phrase I was visiting a band in a club in Ct, many decades ago . I was focused on the Steel player. During his break I approached him and told him I really enjoyed his playing, he replied " You a Picker " ? I answered , "I'm a guitar player ", I had no clue what the phrase meant, I never heard it before. :)

10. Musekatcher

Yea, "picker" was code for country or bluegrass on any instrument. I wouldn't call Kevin Burke a picker, but Eamon McLoughlin is now officially a picker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.