1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I hate wagon wheel

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by T Prior, Jan 25, 2021.

1. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

First time I ever heard and played WW was at a band rehearsal. It's a time filler tune, use it as such.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I responded a few days ago, and briefly I chalk it up as ' one for the crowd' ( plus it does take up some time)

I kind of think of it as a bargaining chip- " I do this one for you, so I get to do one for me!"

BTW, what is this subject doing on the B-Bender forum? Did I miss something? ( no biggie, just curious)

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

YEAH , you missed the entire point of the thread. You never read the OPS post ( me ) did you. Its ALL about the B Bender . Even with an MP3 example.

Don't worry though you're not alone. Half of those that responded think this is about the song, they read the title and commented, never read the initial post or even listened to the MP3. Never bothered to read the initial post.

BUT, a few did ! Good for them !

But its all good , and its 100% about using a Bender on a song. (especially this song )

And thats why its in the BENDER section.

Doc Leon, ChrisLarcombe and Chiogtr4x like this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I did read your initial post
    but missed the context.

Everybody's post, shows up under 'New Posts,' first and when we browse that, we often don't check the actual Forum where it generates.

I'm pretty sure everyone here has mistaken a Fourm posting

T Prior likes this.
  5. T Prior

Not to be funny, or meant to be harsh in any way, but if anyone reads the initial post which clearly says USE the Bender to create a new "direction" , with an MP3 example, then it would be difficult to understand why a member would ask why is this in the Bender section. The post and topic is 100% about using the Bender on songs we may not appreciate but still may need to play now and then. "Be creative" with the Bender
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As written:

So here's the deal, basically and simply. Play it straight and its kinda blah, I would agree, but add your Bender and it may just wake up and become a whole new adventure !

basic and then some added basic Bender pulls and releases. Even a second ending as an option .
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not a big deal, more people read a title and comment without ever reading a post, and in many cases don't read any posts :) this is very common on all forums. We all do it, even me, well wait, I at least read the first one by the OP so if I comment at least I'm talking about the same subject matter !

As I said, not a big deal. All is good, thx for playing ! :)

Oh yeah , I'm considering Brown Eyed Girl for the next Bender example. That should generate a few comments ! I'll make certain everyone knows it's BENDER specific! :eek:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    ChrisLarcombe likes this.
  6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

yes, do BEG, I currently do it without a Bender lead.

T Prior likes this.
  7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

And do Country Roads

T Prior likes this.
  8. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe Tele-Meister

You're makin me hungry now!!

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

why play something you don't want to?

that's a disservice to the audience.

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apparently, both Wagon Wheel & Codeine can't be heard under the rock where I live because I don't think I have even heard the titles, much less the songs. To be fair, however, I get most of my music from streaming services and without a DJ to say who the song is from, I will never know unless I have parked myself in front of the streaming computer/device. In my world, there are plenty of other songs to hate on. We'll start with "The Twist". Sorry, Chubby...

T Prior likes this.
  11. T Prior

Its just a nice chord progression with lyrics of which I only know the chorus. Apparently the lyrics are annoying to many ! :)

Its a very nice chord progression for a BENDER, which is the entire premise of this conversation, a very nice platform to be creative.

While WW is a very requested song here in NC, its only 1 of many that we ( I ) play over and over . I've only been playing WW on gigs over the last 10 years or so, I've played many other songs WAY more than a decade , some more like 2 or 3 decades !, maybe even 4 and we're still playing them.

Oh yeah, we play The Twist on request now and then ! Especially at the Dancehall gigs, you know, where they wanna dance The Twist !

I'm just a player of songs on the Guitar, or Steel. I don't get to decide which songs the audience requests !

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’m going against the hard and fast rule that the OP laid down, because I’m a rebel and I’ll never be any good...

Most of us have a song we’re sick of playing—usually it’s a cover, sometimes it’s something we ourselves wrote—but I think a lot of us forget that we’re only a step or two above “Dancing Monkey” on the entertainment scale.

Dusty Hill has hinted he’s tired of “La Grange” and a few other tunes...but he also understands that an audience at a ZZ Top show is not going to be satisfied until they hear those songs. As a lifelong, hardcore fan of ZZ Top, I’d rather them drop “La Grange”, “Tush” and “Legs” (all of which are songs I like) from the set list and add some obscure deep tracks like “Precious and Grace”, “El Diablo” or “Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell”...but I’ve seen them in concert over a dozen times—a first-time ZZ Top attendee would be neglected if they didn’t get the opportunity to hear those songs that I would be happy to skip over.

I’m tired of playing a stupid little semi-rockabilly ditty I wrote when I was 20 years old—but people remember it and request it, so I play it with as much enthusiasm as I can muster, because the song is important to their experience and enjoyment of the show.

Yes, we are artists...but if we’re playing a gig, especially at a bar, we need to be entertainers as well—or we’re not going to get another gig anytime soon...

13. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

So that's the same chord sequence as The Tenants' "You $#!+ Me to Tears" I guess.

14. T Prior

Ha ! LOL, :) I don't think I made any hard and fast rules, actually I don't think I made ANY rules !

My only rule is to play the best I can on each and every song I play . I may also be a rebel !

The only thing I stated in this thread was maybe USE A BENDER, as this is a BENDER FORUM , Take songs that maybe we do not like so much but do play now and then. Add some Bender phrases here and there and wake it up ! It may just become our favorite song to play !

Thats not a rule, its a suggestion ! LOL :)

Regarding songs, covers, originals, etc... I don't play songs I wrote, well not since the 70's . I've done my duty, played with multiple originals artists who mostly played their own songs at gigs. That ship sunk, they played the same 20 or 30 songs for years it seemed. 3 or 4 pretty good songs then the rest , well, you get the point.

I am traditionally a COVERS player , Tele and Steel, sometimes Bass. Over 4 decades now. I play songs. OF course some are just middle of the road crowd pleasers but most I enjoy playing and find a path to enjoying them. We play tons of solos' and change em' up, we don't play a 2 min 10 sec copy of the original . We let our Tele's and Dr Z amps shine. Even on the dreaded W Wheel ! There are times we may trade solos for 5 minutes on the this song. It becomes an alter ego of Wagon Wheel :)

At a small club ( 2019) we jammed on W Wheel on our last song. Trading solos' .The room was rockin, for whatever reason. When we were done and packin up a guy comes up and says " man those Z's kicked butt" !!! and he was right. That made it all worthwhile. Someone was paying attention .

Its all music to me... but,.... its highly possible that all the songs are about the Teles and the amps !

Z amps.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

You don't. But, some tunes are border line, and you can kinda make yourself like performing. I play fiddle on it for instance, adds something authentic, and another crowd pleaser.

16. cyclopean

i don't want to watch any band that isn't excited about the music they play.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I don't want to watch a band that is offending me with some gratuitous irrelevant material. Not sure sure what your point is?

18. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

You just inadvertently summed up Oasis ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

I play in a duo with my son, and Wagon Wheel is one of the few songs I get to sing harmony with my sons' lead. I enjoy doing that. We play old country, swing, old rock and reggae. His band is melodic punk mixed with reggae, all original.

T Prior likes this.
  20. cyclopean

both of those sound awful.

my point is that you are responsible to the people watching you play. with no crowd, it's just band practice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.