1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I hate wagon wheel

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by T Prior, Jan 25, 2021.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Pineears, sounds good to me ! thx for posting.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I don’t mind the song as much as some here, but I like what you did there, nonetheless. Adds the right sort of feel to the song. Since I have no bender guitars, guess I’ll have to think of ways to emulate that.

3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Woulda been interesting to see what Dylan would've done with it had he finished it. At his best or even semi-best, he can get a lot out of a little, or even something that's pretty trite in others' hands.

Because the chords are so predictable, it really would work best as a pretty short song. E.g., intro, verse, chorus, instrumental, chorus, fade.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. T Prior

Or go grab one !

Thx for being honest here, its very much appreciated. The whole point was to show an example of a so called dreaded song on the BENDER, as this is the BENDER section of the forum.

I am guessing that many who have responded are not Bender players which would have defeated the entire purpose of talking about "that dreaded song " on a Bender ! While the title says "I hate Wagon Wheel" the thread is NOT about Wagon Wheel at all but rather what we can do to juice up a "dreaded song"

There are countless songs we can add some expression to with our pesky pulling arms.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  5. T Prior

You mean like every Chuck Berry song and every Blues song known to mankind ? At least this one HAS 4 chords ! :)

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  6. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

I hate everything about that song. No amount of fancy dress will help it.

Capgun

Fiesta Red, Dan R and T Prior like this.
  7. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I don’t listen to country music, so I had never heard of this song until I read this thread. When I opened it I was wondering if the OP was hating a steakhouse or something like that.

WalthamMoosical and T Prior like this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

Not all predictabilities are alike....

T Prior likes this.
  9. T Prior

Only the ones that are predictable :)

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  10. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

We also play "Boots," but always played it differently - no bender, but bending up on the solo...

I'll also be adding bends into a solo on Wagon Wheel the next time we play it as definitely gets people out dancing, and easy to sing and play, even if I'll never remember the words...

11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

just make 'em up

12. RoscoeElegante

Either this this the truest thing I read today, or I need to stop doing paperwork and grab a Tele.

Both, I think....

It is fascinating how much of the music we like rides that edge of convention and innovation. A new take on something familiar, and/or on something that the music itself cues is coming. Reminds me of an old pal's comment on some mid-'60s Beatles music after a few songs ended on suspended-sounding chords: "The way they end their songs tells you that something else good is coming next."

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

that song was beaten to death in 2008. it needs to go away.

14. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

That is some nice bender bender work. Good job. Might as well make something enjoyable even if it's tedious. You can always make a good song better with your own interpretation!
    As far as the tune goes its ok, I actually like it. Ive seen Darius do it live and he does a great job. He made the tune popular years after the Medicine show version. He is what makes the song popular in this day and age.
    I like Tennessee whiskey too. Chris Stapleton did the same thing with that song. His version made it way more popular. They are both great artists and should get a lot of credit for making those tunes as popular as they are now. They were not that popular years ago. Those versions made those tunes take off like rockets and gave some of us employment!

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

folk punk really did a number on this song.

16. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I do all the time when I forget, and as long you sing it like you mean it, no problem.

ndcaster likes this.
  17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Crowd pleaser, everywhere. Many musicians don't prefer it though. Your choice which is more important to the mission.

18. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I dig it. Nice!

19. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Somehow, I lived in America without hearing this tune until @ 2015. Somehow, it is also the newest song in my bands' repertoire.

I have a buddy that specializes in jam band/Dead stuff who hates it, calls it the "Hippy Mustang Sally".

20. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

What I like about Wagon Wheel is that it easy to learn and takes little time to get gig ready. By saying that, it frees up rehearsal time to work on more challenging and technical songs. It is also takes up five minutes of a set.

Chiogtr4x and AmpHandle like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.