1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I hate wagon wheel

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by T Prior, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I ( I posted earlier) look at it as a dual-purpose song, even though I don't particularly like it:

- it is a crowd pleaser for a lot of folks, and in my head at least, I 'make a deal' with the audience:

" If I'm gonna play something you like ( but maybe I don't), then I get to play something, maybe you've never heard before ( and I'm hoping you like)"

- the bass player I play with ( duo or sometimes trio with drums) are pretty good pickers, so we like to take a break or two over the changes
    * I never sing the 3rd verse ( it is clunky and stupid), so I just repeat the 1st verse- MY rules, if were gonna play this one.
    So everyone is happy!

T Prior likes this.
  2. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

It’s a fine song. It’s not their fault it’s been done to death.

3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Ha ! This nutty thread is still alive :)

Maybe I should post a track and let everyone play what THEY would like over it, not even mention the song name .

" I hate that Chord progression, I'm not playing over it " :lol::rolleyes:

Of course nobody will be forced to play their B or G BENDER guitars over the track.

NO NON Bender playing would be allowed , that would be the only rule.

No mention of " Hey that sounds like ... " will be allowed

I wonder how many TDPRI Bender players would even give it a shot , I would hope many if not all.

Uhmm. maybe later today...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I heard it quite a bit in bluegrass jams and open mics when I was working in Kitchener-Waterloo are in ‘14-15. I’ve never heard it played live in Québec, even with 80% of set lists are sung in English.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

deleted

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had that second part happen! Well maybe it wasn’t a wire brush....

These songs “wagon wheel” “Tennessee whisky”, not so sure about them

Peegoo likes this.
  7. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

I like the solo in the Darius Rucker version ‘cause it’s easy.

8. TCA117

TCA117 Tele-Meister

Pop the Capo on, and it sounds exactly like the recording. I’m in favor of any song with easy chords and lyrics. Nice one just sitting around the fire - but I lived in Charlotte / so I get it. But it’s no cotton eyed Joe....

RodeoTex and Greggorios like this.
  9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

This perfectly encapsulates my opinion of this song. I dread playing it, but it gets such a great response. I seem to always be on the mandolin when it comes around. Some tasty licks, hit the vocal harmonies, and it's over soon.

10. T Prior

Let me ONCE again remind us, this thread is NOT about Wagon Wheel as a song, its about playing Bender guitars on the Wagon Wheel progression .

The two are not one and the same.

WW just happens to be a very inviting progression for either G or B Benders, forget the song, the lyrics or how much we may hate it.

Pull those Benders out of the cases and jam on A - E- F#M and D . Leave the B string OPEN on that F# M chord so you can pull it or release it . Play across the progression.

Then one day, should you ever be on a gig ever again and the Bandleader or crowd wants WW, man you will tear it up !

You will be instantly placed in the same category as the Amazing Kreskin! :)

ndcaster, nedorama and cbnutt like this.
  11. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Apparently, the N.C. MILF State Anthem has supplanted the MILF National Anthem in your area.

Florida state law mandates the playing of Mustang Sally for all gatherings where 5 or more ladies age 35 and over are in attendance.

:)

Fiesta Red, bobk and Greggorios like this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I was in North Carolina a few years ago, sitting on a stage backing up a friend. Someone wanted to hear Wagon Wheel. We only knew the chords (which are fun for fill and jamming). So everyone else sang it while we played it.

They made him promise to learn it before his next appearance. He didn't want to, but he did it.

It's an anthem here in Maine, too. The only stupider chorus I've ever heard is Achy-Breaky Heart's.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  13. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

to be totally fair, you chose the subject line “I hate Wagon Wheel”, so it’s natural that people are going to jump in and give their opinion. If you’d chosen “Playing Wagon Wheel on a bender”, I think the conversation wouldn’t have veered off course. When I come on, I usually don’t go to individual sub forums, I just look at new posts, so most people probably didn’t look and see that it was in the bender forum.

nedorama, TCA117 and T Prior like this.
  14. T Prior

Thats true :) , but if you read the first line it would have been a lead in to playing on a Bender. EVEN with an MP3 link

The song title was the "draw" ! :)

Very few responses have anything to do with playing on a Bender or any guitar for that matter. But, its all good. A few got the jist of it , works for me !

Either way.

Bryan A likes this.
  15. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...umm, it's in our 'acoustic' set list; the audience ate it up whenever we played it.

In the spirit of the thread and not to detract further from it, I'm going to haul out my B-bender to the 'woodshed' and see how I can work it in, assuming the band ever becomes live again...

T Prior likes this.
  16. T Prior

Thats the spirit ! A--E --F#m- D you are gonna love it. Keep that F#m a simple two finger open chord with the B string open so you can pull or release.

17. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

LOL- they apply about 3 microns of 'chocolate' with a spray gun!

Bruxist and T Prior like this.
  18. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the sound of a steel guitar or B Bender. They're like salt & pepper or hot sauce. Add them into a boring meal or song to give it new life. Nice thread, thanks.:)

T Prior likes this.
  19. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I like the song, it's fun to play and sing. Just suffers from overexposure, although not like it used to be.

T Prior likes this.
  20. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m not an expert Bender, but I do this song..... My band might play it about 3 times per year and have been doing it for only 5 yrs. Came across it discussed on TDPRI.....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    T Prior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.