1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I hate wagon wheel

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by T Prior, Jan 25, 2021.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I actually don't, here in NC its like an anthem, people love it. I actually like playing it. Its a rather nice progression to play over.

So here's the deal, basically and simply. Play it straight and its kinda blah, I would agree, but add your Bender and it may just wake up and become a whole new adventure !

here's a short demo clip from this morning , I decided to turn on Pro Tools after about a 2 or 3 month OFF period.

basic and then some added basic Bender pulls and releases. Even a second ending as an option .

Just a thought, the options to be creative are right in front of us, even on the most mundane songs that many of us don't like to play.

MP3 LINK >>> http://www.tprior.com/WW1.mp3

please excuse the mild morning sloppiness, its a quick demo not a retail release ! :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don’t love it.
    It’s criminally repetitious, and lyrically vapid.
    That said, I play it all the time, like a good guitar-playin’ ho.
    I’m hoping something else takes it’s place on my employer’s set lists.
    Tedious tune!
    p.s. Nice bender work!

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Codeine is better.

KW1977, Flat6Driver, srblue5 and 3 others like this.
  4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

One of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite groups! Of course I knew it before it was cool ;):lol:

Doc Leon, drewg, unbridled and 2 others like this.
  5. T Prior

Wagon Wheel is just the reference example , we can wake up and change the course of MANY tunes with our trusty little pulling arms ! :)

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I play a lot of brewpubs and wineries in Northern Virginia in what I'd call an 'older Classic Rock+blues+bluegrass' duo - we kind of lean on good picking/jamming along with the singing ( fantastic bass player, who sounds fretless, but isn't!)

* guitar/bass- I'm the lead singer, no set lists and I just wing it by reading the crowd, and hope folks like the songs.

So ' Wagon Wheel' is one that I will stick in when I see younger folks/groups at a venue- that may not be as familiar with our core (older) repertoire. I just don't play much stuff that isn't '60's-'70's, but I have a few '80's songs

It's ( to me) kind of a "Sweet Home Alabama" of the 2000's - folks who know it, sing along, love it.

Edit: I have no problem with "Sweet Home Alabama" - we pull it off pretty well for 2 guys ( often requested)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Same thing with Tennessee Whisky: they're just a modern version of The Weight and Friend of the Devil.

These tunes have been so overplayed, it's the musical equivalent of having the nurse use a wire brush to remove sand and gravel from fresh road rash on yer back end. Gaaaaah.

8. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

which Codeine? By Trampled By Turtles? Townes Van Zandt? Jason Isbell?

the original Wagon Wheel by OCMS is a fine song IMO. But the laid back fiddle and banjo are what make it a fine song IMO. Hard to do it justice on guitar only. This guy does it justice on guitar though:

9. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Nice visual.

I HATE Wagon Wheel. I never refuse to play any tune, but I sure don't volunteer to play that one. Five minutes of plodding mind numbingly boring mediocracy and bland generic pablum for the masses.

10. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

upload_2021-1-25_14-44-58.png

Just so us brits don't feel left. I love wagon wheels.

11. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Wagon Wheel, and OCMS are not really a genre I pay attention to - when my son was a baby my wife would swing him around to that song and that was my only experience with it. A year or two later, one of the guys in the band suggested we add it as simple filler to make our set list a little longer for a bar gig we had that weekend.

We never had, before or after, so many people crowding the dance floor singing along, and we were all shooting eachother sideways glances trying to figure out what was going on. Aside from that initial night, playing it got old real fast.

12. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Yeah, buddy! I just had a day with Frigid Stars. Lovely stuff.

BorderRadio likes this.
  13. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Not to me, I hate them both! I guess I'm just a crusty old SOB, but those songs are insufferable. I will get up and leave if a band plays either one, but that's just me.

BorderRadio likes this.
  14. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

if you just don’t like the genre, ok. I personally think OCMS is a great band, though they’ve definitely declined since 2 of their 3 principal songwriters left. Their first album or two were almost entirely covers of very old 20s-30s era songs. They manage to be country without being “radio friendly” country, and they put on a very good live show. Even the criticisms of Wagon Wheel being played to death (which is true), is covers from bars etc, not because it was played to death on the radio

15. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like it a lot.I can see how it is an anthem for NC.I was stationed at Ft. Bragg many moons ago.I am sure it is a big hit there.It is interesting how so many songs are regional.
    Here is one i really miss playing from my years in NM.Been there,lived it.It was a standard there and in El Paso.It can be heard here in CO on occasion.

16. T Prior

Well I've been playing in a COUNTRY MUSIC ( steel and tele) circuit since the mid 70's, I've been very active , never really took a pause. I would guess somewhere around 200 songs roving the setlists.

A good drummer friend and I did the math , we think we played "For The Good Times" over 5000 times. We laughed and made a joke of it.

Then it dawned on us, thats why we get called for gigs, WE KNOW the songs, and very well. We stopped laughing !

17. T Prior

I think some of you are losing sight , this is the BENDER page and the premise is to take a song that maybe we don't like so much and turn it into something we can enjoy.

Its not really about Wagon Wheel at all , its about US..what can we do with a song that we don't care to play BUT need to now and then. Turn it into a Bender adventure. The progression is screaming for Bender phrases. :)

18. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice song

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  19. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

A band I'm in does it in a kind of country fried rock style (maybe like Drivin and Cryin). It's kind of a 4 chord song- simple progression. I don't mind this type of thing as it is about: tempo, dynamics and execution and attitude.

Of course I grew up on punk rock and soul bands where you'd sometimes play basically the same song progression but make it sound different via tempo (slow, medium and fast blues anyone?). The dynamics and execution are the key ( a little bit softer now).

I still haven't mastered tempo, dynamics, execution and attitude. So I'll play it. There are worse songs. Is it my fave? no. Does the crowd love it? yes. Goes over better than when I used to do King Crimson's Red- which is way more fun to play and trickier... but there you are.

Bruxist likes this.
  20. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

You wanted harumph, you got harumph..

T Prior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.