I hate renting...

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The only people that ever, ever, got 3% loans in the UK were bank/building society employees. Never heard of that in UK.

We're up **** creek here. A gas an electricity-generating state that has hiked its prices higher than Europe. Plus, iur inflation is going to hit 13% soon. When that hits the mortgages, it's going to be like 1990 all over again. But the utility hikes are going to kill SMEs and make the already poor destitute.

Capitalism is DEAD!
my mortgage is 2.375%

I'd pay it off, but, I might forget to pay the taxes and homeowners insurance (rolled in)

plus, it is fun to have a mortgage that low.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Well I can assure you that that is not how it works in America. Here it's bend over and grab your ankles each time your lease expires.
This alone is a reason for buying.
Of course there are no "starter" homes for young singles or couples. Yes, that use to be a thing, an affordable entry level house that was inhabitable. That's gone.
Then for years people could expect wage increases but then income stagnation set in.
Now, rents are soaring and it eats into what anyone can save for a future home purchase.
Prospective home buyers getting outbid by corporations and speculators.
It's a total cluster.

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
I haven't rented since 1991. I'm in my third house since my first one, each time a move up and I was able to use the net gain to move up to a better home. I'm in Kansas, though, so there is that. I hated renting early in life and I like working around the house, mowing and otherwise maintaining my home. My neighbors are awesome and we even have a very good H.O.A. Absolutely no complaints.

We hit the market just right in 2015 when we moved last time, sold in a seller's market and bought in a buyer's market. We've talked about downsizing the past couple years but the way the market has exploded and with interest rates rising we've determined that our current home is our last.

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Why when I was young I just got me a starter home!

1661606874308.png

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
About living in Oklahoma
Law abiding citizens can carry guns pretty much everywhere with no hassle.
There is lots of jobs and some pay real good
Gas was 3.15/gal yesterday
Medicaĺ cannabis is legal, a patient card is easy to get, my roomate grows his own high CBD strain and makes body rub for arthritis that works good
Most county sheriffs are pretty decent guys and support the honest citizen's constitutional rights
Hotter than the ungreased hubs of hell in summer, cold windy winters but not much snow
Good hunting with lots of public land access
Lots of lakes and good fishing
Easy to find a welder to do repairs or fabricate stuff
OU and OSU sports always have decent teams
Here in Stillwater the cost of living is not as bad as a bunch of other places and is a college town full of beautiful women

I'm not criticising any region, but this all goes to show ... preferences are personal. One person's PLUS may be a MINUS or a shrug to another.

Even beautiful women -- that could only get me into trouble!

Knows3Chords

Tele-Holic
Me, my brother and sisters just sold our late fathers house. The housing market here in metro Detroit has leveled off as of now. I know this area doesn't get a lot of respect. The weather can suck, but the suburbs can be quite nice. It's a lot more affordable than most places and Michigan is really beautiful. Crime outside of Detroit city proper is low and even in the city the downtown area is a lot safer the most big cities. Soon after my Dad passed, we had a lot of people asking if we were going to sell the house. They all wanted to make us offers without using a real estate agent. They wanted to save money on the agent and avoid a bidding war. It was kind of sick. Even my one sister wanted us to sell the house to one of her sons so he could save money. Almost lead to a family fight. The state of housing in this country is making people lose their minds.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
I bought my first home 29 years ago for 3 reasons: as a renter I hated the 3 F's. I was tired of listening to my neighbors fight, flush, and f...

I'm sure you can complete the list on your own.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Afflicted
Currently in a negative equity situation. And I didn’t even buy at the peak of the late 00s bubble.

Right now poorer than if I had rented. As for landlords, I have a condo board president who is the reincarnation of my grade 2 teacher, Mrs Davies.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 1028707

I think I said that by next spring rates would be 9%.... and... they are on the way.... l think they are up yoy like... 3.4% brutal!
@getbent that number is a little high...

300K for a house in OK? Well maybe the well to do Tulsa and OKC folks, but they really don't count as Okies as they are citified! :)

Well here you go, 4000 Square feet, and within budget out in the smaller cities!! Prices are up in OK we are all doomed!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
@getbent that number is a little high...

300K for a house in OK? Well maybe the well to do Tulsa and OKC folks, but they really don't count as Okies as they are citified! :)

Well here you go, 4000 Square feet, and within budget out in the smaller cities!! Prices are up in OK we are all doomed!

fair enough, I was just using it to get an interest rate quote.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Captains log, day 15 at the rental property.

All seems quiet, too quiet...
The natives seem to be a shy population, rarely seen during the day. They seem to come out around dusk to pick up stuff in the yard and put out the trash bins. They don't seem hostile but they have also not made any excursions to investigate us. We will just sit and observe their movements for now and initiate first contact maybe in the Spring if they seem worthy of admittance to our galactic empire. All systems are good, life support is working fine and the skies are beautiful at night.
Captain out.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
fair enough, I was just using it to get an interest rate quote.
:) I was just messing with ya.

So you are not relocating to OK? I have a house in the NE corner I would make you a great deal on. I just got to evict the people that are in there now! LOL