I hate renting...

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
So almost two years ago my wife and I decided it was time to downsize from the big house. Before we could find a place to live we had sold our house so in our hurry we rented a townhouse. It was pretty good at first, smaller development, mostly people like myself who were in between places. The rent per month was less than $2K so it was quite a treat to be down from almost double that in the big house plus I made good money on that investment.
So good that when it was time to flip into a new home, the market was skyrocketing and we decided to wait for it to cool off. Well the cooling off period has begun in the DFW area, it is not where I want it to buy plus the interest rates are high right now, but in a year or two it should be good.

So we have been in this place for two years solid. Model renters, no issues, always on time with the rent, and we take care of the unit. This facility apparently is about to sell for the fourth time since we have been here as we had a "new owner" inspection last week. They have also build double to triple the number of units in this development since we moved in. Rent went up the second year we were here by $100. No big deal, we can handle that.

Then we got the notice last week that our contract is up and they are raising the rent by $550 a month (over a 25% jump) and that we should, "take advantage of this offer to continue living in our development". We were going to call and complain but decided we were wasting out breath.

We went online and found a house (I mean a real house without neighbors on the other side of the walls) two minutes from where we currently live. It is pretty funny as the first house we bought in this town was just down the same street. I went and checked out the house yesterday and other than the painter not matching the wall paint (I mean I understand filling and touching up nail holes, but if your paint is a shade darker don't paint a 12x12 area at every nail hole) well at all it is a nice place and the rent is back to where we are currently. I am responsible for lawn care so I am praying that there is an enterprising teen ager in the area for lawn care next year, this year the grass is dead and brown so no mowing needed lol.

The only negative is I have to pack up all of this crap and move it to the new place. At least when we downsized we got rid of a lot of stuff so we don't have a lot of stuff to move.

So here is to being able to plug in the big amp and make some noise without getting a complaint from the neighbors!

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
So almost two years ago my wife and I decided it was time to downsize from the big house. Before we could find a place to live we had sold our house so in our hurry we rented a townhouse. It was pretty good at first, smaller development, mostly people like myself who were in between places. The rent per month was less than $2K so it was quite a treat to be down from almost double that in the big house plus I made good money on that investment.
So good that when it was time to flip into a new home, the market was skyrocketing and we decided to wait for it to cool off. Well the cooling off period has begun in the DFW area, it is not where I want it to buy plus the interest rates are high right now, but in a year or two it should be good.

So we have been in this place for two years solid. Model renters, no issues, always on time with the rent, and we take care of the unit. This facility apparently is about to sell for the fourth time since we have been here as we had a "new owner" inspection last week. They have also build double to triple the number of units in this development since we moved in. Rent went up the second year we were here by $100. No big deal, we can handle that.

Then we got the notice last week that our contract is up and they are raising the rent by $550 a month (over a 25% jump) and that we should, "take advantage of this offer to continue living in our development". We were going to call and complain but decided we were wasting out breath.

We went online and found a house (I mean a real house without neighbors on the other side of the walls) two minutes from where we currently live. It is pretty funny as the first house we bought in this town was just down the same street. I went and checked out the house yesterday and other than the painter not matching the wall paint (I mean I understand filling and touching up nail holes, but if your paint is a shade darker don't paint a 12x12 area at every nail hole) well at all it is a nice place and the rent is back to where we are currently. I am responsible for lawn care so I am praying that there is an enterprising teen ager in the area for lawn care next year, this year the grass is dead and brown so no mowing needed lol.

The only negative is I have to pack up all of this crap and move it to the new place. At least when we downsized we got rid of a lot of stuff so we don't have a lot of stuff to move.

So here is to being able to plug in the big amp and make some noise without getting a complaint from the neighbors!
We moved from the Bay Area about 7 years ago because of the ridiculous rent increase on our place. The cool landlord died, and his son took over. He then booted everyone for "renovations" which consisted of a new stove that wasn't from the 1960s, and was generous enough to allow us to "reapply" for the rental we'd been in for 10 years. Just almost double what we had been paying (must be a damn good stove). That was our sign to GTFO of California.
We bought a 5 bedroom house in Hood River, and our mortgage is less than our original monthly on the 2-bedroom in Menlo Park.
Of course now our kids are off to college, and we need something smaller, but I want to make sure we land in another house. I don't ever want to deal with landlords again. Ever.

Lowspeid

Tele-Meister
We moved from the Bay Area about 7 years ago because of the ridiculous rent increase on our place. The cool landlord died, and his son took over. He then booted everyone for "renovations" which consisted of a new stove that wasn't from the 1960s, and was generous enough to allow us to "reapply" for the rental we'd been in for 10 years. Just almost double what we had been paying (must be a damn good stove). That was our sign to GTFO of California.
We bought a 5 bedroom house in Hood River, and our mortgage is less than our original monthly on the 2-bedroom in Menlo Park.
Of course now our kids are off to college, and we need something smaller, but I want to make sure we land in another house. I don't ever want to deal with landlords again. Ever.
I just moved from The Dalles back to a small town in northern Idaho due to rent/home prices in OR/WA (and my job was awful). I’m a teacher with a Masters degree, 10 years teaching experience, and a decently-high VA disability percentage. There was zero opportunity/ability to own a home anywhere in WA/OR. I “might” be able to buy a home somewhere over here someday. Maybe. But not having equity in a home already there just isn’t any way to own for many people right now.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I just moved from The Dalles back to a small town in northern Idaho due to rent/home prices in OR/WA (and my job was awful). I’m a teacher with a Masters degree, 10 years teaching experience, and a decently-high VA disability percentage. There was zero opportunity/ability to own a home anywhere in WA/OR. I “might” be able to buy a home somewhere over here someday. Maybe. But not having equity in a home already there just isn’t any way to own for many people right now.
Yeah, the dalles and HR have exploded. We’d be in a different situation if we moved today.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
You arrived in Hood River just before values jumped, so you should be able to downsize for the same money. My son and daughter-in-law (who also worked in Menlo Park, for USGS) moved to Portland in the summer of 2020 and paid about $550,000 for a 80-yr old, storey and half, 2-bed, 1 bath bungalow in SE Portland.

My grandchildren are in Portland and Anchorage, but I can’t figure out how I’ll ever be able to afford to live near them, unless you rent me a bedroom in your big house in Hood River.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
My daughters rent went up 17% a few months ago. She and her fiancé plan to buy next year if prices and interest stabilize.
It's an absolute shame what has happened to housing. It seems like there's a lot of predatory crap going on. In my neighborhood the last two houses that sold were purchased by real estate holding companies that just rent out the properties. In older neighborhood, they're just buying houses and flipping them.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
When you're on the 40 heading east out of Oklahoma, how far across the line into Arkansas do you have to go in order to tell that you're no longer in Oklahoma? ;)

Somewhere around Alma I think.

A lot of the Oklahoma "Green Country" could just as well be Western Arkansas, at least as far as terrain is concerned. Mind set might be a different thing... But that's the setting for "True Grit".

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
sucks.

the only reason to own is that you don't have a landlord.

I'll bet you can get something cheap in Madill, Ok! maybe even off the grid!
What?

The ONLY reason to own????

What about... the INVESTEMENT aspect, that you... DONT PAY RENT which goes nowhere.

Yes, either own a house, OR, flush your money down the toilet literally, renting.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
What?

The ONLY reason to own????

What about... the INVESTEMENT aspect, that you... DONT PAY RENT which goes nowhere.

Yes, either own a house, OR, flush your money down the toilet literally, renting.
nah. when you own, you have to maintain the site, buildings, pay taxes, you have to pay to sell your house, and pay realtors when you buy, and you are stuck in some house you hate or don't want and you can't just be like the wind and go where you want.

home ownership by the masses is only like 100 years old... it is a made up thing. There is NO reason to own homes unless you just don't want people telling you what to do and think.... (like you in your post) I own 3 homes and it is EXPENSIVE... but, worth it for me because I hate people telling me what I should do and I really hate people WAY more stupid than me telling me what is 'smart'....

but, hey, you do you... and it is investment there rockefeller.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
My daughters rent went up 17% a few months ago. She and her fiancé plan to buy next year if prices and interest stabilize.
It's an absolute shame what has happened to housing. It seems like there's a lot of predatory crap going on. In my neighborhood the last two houses that sold were purchased by real estate holding companies that just rent out the properties. In older neighborhood, they're just buying houses and flipping them.
you realize that the fed is planning a 3% increase next year on interest rates. So, plan on 9% interest rates for awhile. I don't get why people think this will all 'settle down'....

If you are in a home, you are gonna have to stay and if you are buying, prices will stabilize the cost will rise due to interest rates. That will go on for at least 4-5 years.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
They should have to pay people to live in Oklahoma.
I drove from LA to NY a long time ago (I was 20) in my vw. I stopped for gas in far western Oklahoma and a kid came out to pump the gas... being from Ca, I was like, 'nah man, I got it' and he stared at me with a blank, slightly perturbed stare.

It was as hot as the sun that day and muggy too. I said, 'so, how is your day going?' He said nothing, then, looking at his shoes, then at me he said, 'you going to california?' I said, with a smile, 'no, i'm going from California to New York for school.'

'yeah, well, I'm just gonna be here, so that is how my day is going.'

Years later, I bought the first steve earle record and there is a song about that kid.

Yesyoudidyouare

Tele-Meister
nah. when you own, you have to maintain the site, buildings, pay taxes, you have to pay to sell your house, and pay realtors when you buy, and you are stuck in some house you hate or don't want and you can't just be like the wind and go where you want.

home ownership by the masses is only like 100 years old... it is a made up thing. There is NO reason to own homes unless you just don't want people telling you what to do and think.... (like you in your post) I own 3 homes and it is EXPENSIVE... but, worth it for me because I hate people telling me what I should do and I really hate people WAY more stupid than me telling me what is 'smart'....

but, hey, you do you... and it is investment there rockefeller.
You own three homes?

Funny I own six.

And three in san bernadino, one in Napa!