I hate job interviews.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dan German, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had lots of jobs in my lifetime, but only a few real job interviews. I'm thankful I lived during a time when they were not a part of life. I didn't mind being interviewed, I could tell in a minute or two which way they were going to go, and if it was going south, I tried to have a little fun with it. During the time I was a shop supervisor, I gave a few interviews, I tried to put people at ease, and not make them uncomfortable. I disliked having to let people go, and doing the dreaded exit interview, some people seem to enjoy it. After about four years of being a boss, I decided I didn't really like being part of a "team" at all, I managed to work mostly alone at my job(s) for many years after that.

At the end of my working life though, I came full circle, and ended up back in a job where I had to interact with a lot of people, and all the drama that goes with it. I had fifteen good years working with people, but when I look back on my working life, it's always the years I spent out on the highway hauling heavy iron living a new adventure everyday. In my opinion, most of the people I've encountered who conducted interviews were lucky to have a job themselves. I am thankful to be retired, it was a long road getting here.

2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Drink more water.
    Get more sleep.
    Eat better.
    Exercise.

If you are already doing those things, maybe get a job in counseling, where people want to think you are older and wise ;)

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Amen to this Danno! I hear ya loud and clear. I haven't had to interview in years and, honestly, if I ever had to do it again I think I'd rather just retire and call it good. Just simply don't have the patience for that sort of tomfoolery anymore. Biproduct of age I suppose :cool:

Dan German likes this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I retired early in 2017 after 38 years with the same company so only had about 15 interviews in all, the last one 2001.

Between 2001 and 2017 I probably conducted around 250 interviews for project planning, cost control and quantity surveyor positions. It's not easy being interviewed, so after a couple of years I decided that I would send the list of questions out with the invitation to interview. A technical question might be "What is the difference between Free Float and Total Float?". Those with experience should be able to tell me, those without should at least have the respect to have looked it up. I can then follow up with "why is it important?". If they don't know I get an idea of how their brains work, or maybe don't.

I will have also checked their online presence prior to invitation, how do they present themselves on LinkedIn, Facebook etc. If they are working I will check the website of their existing employer, are there any interesting current projects which might come up at interview, are there any vacancies which would be suitable for them?

I enjoyed training my staff, but hated wasting it on someone who would be out the door before they had even mastered the roles. So I tried to maintain a 70/30 ratio between those who could learn and master a role and develop with it to those who had ambition. I always knew that half of the apparently perfect candidates would make a name for themselves, and move on in a years time, before most of their mistakes were discovered. Bright people will keep you on your toes, and bring a different perspective, but on the whole I needed folks I could rely on to get the work done.

Telekarster likes this.
  5. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

You have to understand perspectives.

I'm salaried, and it is wonderful. I work in software.

I have a friend who is salaried, and it is awful. He works in retail.

Empathize, walk in someone else's shoes. This board has so many different perspectives from so many different walks of life.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  6. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Yup.....It's easier to find a job when you don't need one......Just like cars and guitars...It's easier to find them when you don't need them

Blackmore Fan and Telekarster like this.
  7. Telekarster

Man ain't that the truth, TD. The last interview I had, which was years ago now, I felt like I should've been the one interviewing them! LOL! In fact, it was because of their "interview" that I didn't take the job when they offered it to me. I later would run into someone, by sheer chance, that actually took that job. They lasted 6 months before they quit. Said the place was a total wreck and even though the $ was good, the environment was too toxic to deal with. I patted myself on the back after that convo ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Beat me to it!

"It's a tightrope Spud!"

johnny k likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I would not work at a job I truly didn't like. Some of my jobs didn't last very long, I mean like a day and a half. The one time I stuck with a job that I didn't like, but didn't hate was right after buying my wife her first new car. I had a run in with my boss, and push came to shove and I told him to stick it. I went to work right away at another job, and told them up front when I got my money out of my old job, I was out of there. They thought I was just talking. It's took me a while to get my money, when I did, I quit that job. After that, I was financially in a position where I could wait it out until I found what I wanted to do, instead of what someone else wanted me to do.

getbent and Telekarster like this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I haven't been interviewed for a job, but I've been doing a bunch of podcast interviews and press interviews lately... I remember when it used to matter to me how I was represented, now, I just kind of roll with it... they never get it right, things are always edited weirdly... it just doesn't matter.

Most of my working life, I got recruited so the 'interview' was usually reversed...

One thing I found in being interviewed for a position I really wanted was that it was good NOT to be the first choice. When they offer you the gig and you are the second choice, their expectations are lower and your chance to succeed high!

We hired several folks over the past 14 months... all zoom. All worked out really well. We have been looking less for specific skills and more about team orientation, demonstrated ability to learn and adapt, and excited to do the work. Like auditioning for a band, a big part is 'will they fit with the existing team, are they a good hang'

My son just went through the interview process for his first teaching job, the first interview, he felt like it went well, but, after we talked he said, 'Dad, I think I was being too much my 'best self' instead of just being me.' I told him to go into the interviews and just be honest, thoughtful and himself. Don't do the 'well, I COULD be that guy' because then they'll expect that.

He didn't get the first gig. But he got the second one.

I remember getting my first job in construction. I showed up at the jobsite, the foreman called me a name (like dumbass or effin kid) and said, 'I don't want to hear you or see you, today, you are gonna scrap out all these houses and at the end of the day, we'll see how you did on the interview.'

I saw a guy smiling when he heard that and walked over after the boss left and said, 'can you tell me what he is expecting by 'scrap the house'? He told me and I got to it. I didn't know about breaks, but when the 'choke and puke' showed up, the one guy, Rich, came over and gave me a cup of coffee. At lunch, I ate quickly and got back to it and Rich came over and helped. Then another guy helped too.

At the end of the day, the foreman came back, sniffed and said, 'see ya tomorrow kid'

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Reading these posts about job interviews, I can see why most of you don't like them. It's a different world now, I know folks get tired of hearing how it used to be better, but it used to better. :D:lol::lol::lol:

P Thought and Telekarster like this.
  12. Telekarster

Ha! I had pretty much the same experience once! In fact, I was a contractor at the time and it wasn't the client that PO'd me, it was my own contracting firm that did. So... I walked into my client bosses office and said "Just wanted to let you know that my firm PO'd me over XYZ, so I'm posting me resume today and will likely be gone within 3 days. Sorry for the short notice but given the circumstances, I'm sure you understand. It was nice to work for you and hope your projects go well." They flipped! They immediately got on the phone with legal etc. and long story short, they hired me directly and kicked the firm to the curb ;)

telemaster03 and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Now that right there is a cool story!

Telekarster likes this.
  14. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I overcompensate in interviews, and my inner douchebag comes out. I can hear it happening, but can't stop it.

P Thought, getbent and Telekarster like this.
  15. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

It's the questions that seem irrelevant to me, such as: "Where do you see yourself in 5 years"
    *cough* Not here hopefully.

16. Telekarster

Yeah man.... it was one of the best moves I ever made. But I was dead serious. In fact, while they were picking up the phone to work the angles to hire me, I was posting my resume. By the end of day 1 I had 3 calls for interviews, and had already lined em up to do em, and had more the next day. I never put all my eggs in one basket when it comes to this sort of thing, of course. But, it all worked out and was glad that they were able to get me on board so quickly, cause I liked the company and people so... it was a great fit all the way around.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Interviewer:

What is your best trait?

Me:

Restraint, otherwise I would already have punched you in the snot locker.

Telekarster likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Actual interview.

Interviewer:

I see here you've had a large number of jobs, we prefer our candidates to have a history of staying on the job. (Translated: We like to know going in that you're a gutless turd who will put up with anything we wish to do to you)

Me:

Well actually I only put down about half of them.

I knew I wasn't going to get the job anyway, why not have a little fun? You really should have seen the guy's face.

wrathfuldeity and Telekarster like this.
  19. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've only had three and got them all. I wouldn't apply to an employer too stupid hire me.

20. Telekarster

:lol::lol::lol:ROTFLMAO:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.