I hate going to the dentist but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Apr 28, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Pain from sports crashes? Fine. Dental pain? Not. I don't like the opiates buzz but at times it's what works.

I've got two more days before my first root canal. This and when I broke a tooth are the only times I can recall wanting to go to the dentist.

I have two pain pills left from when I broke a tooth. Another night like last night and I'll be tempted. It's really a bummer that the opiod epidemic has apparently stopped prescribing it where it could be beneficial. I just don't think I'm a risk if I can have a few of those pills or a few diazepam (Valium) last me years.

Sorry, rant over but I'm guessing anyone who's had dental pain knows this. The dentist was wrong on ibuprofen. When I broke a tooth the pain was same and oxycodone was better.

Shuster likes this.
  2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Don't sweat it.

I've had several root canals, and they weren't bad at all. They used liberal amounts of novacaine and then continued to FLOOD it, I couldn't feel anything at all, just pressure that wasn't painful.

The aggravation and discomfort from getting prepared and fitted for a crown is worse in my opinion.

Regarding pain control - not sure how to advise you but I think it's a mistake to not be honest with your Dentist about what you're experiencing.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I HATED the dentist. The thought of going used to give me cold sweats and an increased heart rate.

It was so bad that even after wrecking a bicycle on a mountain ride, and breaking several molars on impact, I still refused to go for a few years.

You can imagine, I needed some serious work.

Finally the day came that I had enough guts to go and began having the work done. It took several visits, several hours, and several thousand dollars...but I never once felt pain in the dentists chair, and the soreness I felt after any given work was always manageable with ibuprofen and tylenol. Never once felt the need to get real pain pills.

Dental care has come a very long way in the last couple decades. I often hear of extractions, root canals, and fillings finished in a half hour with zero pain.

If you're like me and your biggest fear is the dentist, I can honestly say you've got nothing to worry about with a reputable modern dentist.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a root canal at age 15. A piece of cake and that tooth has never been touched by a dentist in 49 years. Totally worth it. Now, a dry socket from a pulled wisdom tooth is a totally different story.

nojazzhere and ponce like this.
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So true. My root canals involved about 15 minutes of real "chair time".

Imwjl, one thing I forgot about - if the endodontist has to figure out which tooth needs the root canal the testing can be painful - the testing has to be done before any anesthesia is used, and might involve tapping the nearby teeth to determine which one is sensitive.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a few root canals done after riding out the abscess. About a year ago I broke half a molar off on each side of my mouth (old fillings). I rode the pain out on a rotation of panadeine forte and ibuprofen on a constant rotation over 3 weeks. If I missed a dose by 15 to 30 mins I was in extreme pain. I found that rinsing with Listerine mouthwash killed the pain too and worked very fast when I was late on a dose of pain meds.

If waiting for the meds to kick in is uncomfortable rinse with Listerine for near instant relief.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yes, I m somewhat perplexed over "the opiod crisis". Around here folks w a genuine need for non over the counter pain killers, can t get them because of doctors being afraid to perscribe them because of danger to their careers. Dentist usually aren t, because its for a short temperary reason. Get a different dentist if you think you'll need them. However after my root canal I had no pain what so ever and didn t need to get my perscription filled. Oh, the tooth that was rooted ? It fell out 5 years later. I recommend getting it pulled. Much cheaper.

8. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the gas while wearing earbuds and listening to "The Dark Side of the Moon".

Shuster likes this.
  9. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I have never had a root canal, but it's a huge fear of mine. I have a routine appointment tomorrow. I go every 3 months instead of 6 to try and avoid problems, but I am sure my luck will run out, even with as much as I go. I went a long span without going to the dentist and it came back to haunt me. On the pain killer side, I have never needed more than Ibuprofrine, even when wisdom teeth were pulled. I have family members with pain med addiction, so I tossed mine once I knew I could get by without it. I should also point out my experience was similar to Downshifts on the fear side....lot's of hours and $$$ getting me past that. Fear is less these days, but I still clinch and shake during a cleaning.

Shuster likes this.
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have had one root canal. When the dentist pulled it out she showed it to me and said that it didn’t look so bad. Then she dropped the crown she was going to put in and it fell behind a cabinet. I had to wait for a new one to be made. Also, as she was drilling she got her glove caught on the drill bit and it caused her finger to bleed. I don’t go to her anymore.

aerhed, Torren61 and Shuster like this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm.... I didn't know they still did the laughing gas.

I'm assuming the nerve pain is gone with the procedure. I'm just ornery now from it messing with sleep and eating.

I am not complaining too much via my fully getting how many of us would be dead by now without dentistry, eye glasses and public health practices.

12. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Dentist Suck, I'd rather jump out of a plane,,,lol,,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have a problem with dentist visits... they have a job to do, just relax and let them get on with it... and those lay down chairs are much more comfortable...

a half hour in a chair is better than weeks of toothaches....

a few years back I got into a gov dental care situation where they use final year dental students with supervision..once a month for a year doing everything and making partial dentures top and bottom (that I never wear)... most of the ones I got were attractive young women who looked more like fashion students.... all of them worked with great skill and care using the latest pain killers and techniques.... this one slim little girl wrestled getting a redundant molar out, she nearly had her knee on my chest for leverage.... I never felt a thing other than her movements.... man, this tooth was black.. I was shocked that I even had such a thing in my mouth....

along with other extractions and fillings I never had one occasion where they "hit a nerve".... these modern dental drugs are good... my face never felt dead, swollen on one side like the old days.. and it had cleared my system by the time I got home... often waking up the next day to no soreness or aches needing any more drugs...

I was terrified by my old hairy armed dentist as a kid.... my, how times have changed in the dental world....

hate to say it.. but, man up you guys.. get your mouth health sorted in quick time.... and stay off the oxy....:twisted:

Bassman8 likes this.
  14. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've had one root canal, 6 crowns and an implant. By far the crowns have been the worst as far as tedium and pain during and after. The root canal was quick and easy.

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I wish you wouldn't have posted this as I cracked a tooth on some popcorn a week ago and really don't want to go. Luckily, it doesn't cause any pain unless chewing on something harder than a potato chip, but clearly that isn't normal.

My problem is that I am a very type A personality who always tries to stay in control. If you are one or know one, then you also know that people like that are likely prone to severe motion sickness and can never fully be numbed up by a dentist....we still feel everything being done, just at a reduced pain level, but still very painful. Even a normal cleaning leaves me tensed up and in a puddle of sweat before it is over...not pleasant at all.

So the realization that I will likely need a crown / root canal because of a damn unpopped kernel has me furious right now. It will be like volunteering for the Spanish Inquisition. The last work I had done was replacing a silver filling with a porcelin and that dentist hit me with so much novacaine that even the top of head was numb! Guess what, it still hurt like hell the entire time that drill was working.

Before you accuse me of just being a baby (my dentist always did), I have been shot, stabbed twice, hit by lightning, broke my neck, ran the USMC Marathon 4 days after the removal of my gallbladder, and ran the NYC Marathon on a fractured foot. None of those things effected me like a trip to the dentist.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are you doing this at the dentist's office?....or just at home on weekends? ;)

Torren61 and Bassman8 like this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I have asked my dentist NOT to numb me for the last couple of years. Several fillings and filling replacements, as well as replacing a crown that broke. It only hurts for a second or two.
    Barring your having my high pain tolerance, clove oil applied to the sore area, available from the pharmacy, will stop tooth pain. Seriously.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I don't mind a dentist at all drilling in my tooth. It's the drilling in my wallet after it's over I don't like.

nojazzhere and Milspec like this.
  19. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Weird. I currently have the same thing going on because of old fillings. Did you get them taken care of? I need to get in soon, but right now the pain and irritation is manageable.

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No I haven't had them fixed yet. I managed the pain for about a month with the painkillers and it went away. I need many thousands of dollars worth of dental work and can't afford it.

I'm planning on having all the work done in Thailand at the end of the year. After some research they have top notch dentists available for a fraction of the price it would cost me to have the work done here. Plus I'll get a nice holiday out of it. A much better proposition than staying here and paying the local dentists Ferrari payments.

Modern fillings aren't what they used to be, they seem to fall apart on cue at around the 10 year mark. Fillings I got in the 70's-80's lasted around 30 to 40 years.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.