I hate double sided tape

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Collin D Plonker, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:51 PM.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Argh. I was using 3m double sided tape on a pickup router template, and guess what happened when I got to the crucial cut for the bucket bracket.

That's right. The template slipped and so did the cut.

Luckily, it didn't go far. I am glueing in a bit of dowel. Luckily also, this is a solid color.

I had been using the Ben Crowe masking tape and super glue method. But I wanted to be able to see through it to align my marks.

Never again. IMG_20201017_122530.jpg IMG_20201017_123122.jpg

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Humbucker templates like yours can and should be screwed to the top with the same flathead screws that you will use to mount them. If you think about the order that you will be doing routing it is usually possible to screw other templates down - for example I do neck cavity routes before pickup cavities and my neck templates screw into wood that will be removed later.

Last and far from least, when I use double sided tape (which I do) I always put a clamp or two in addition.

3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have been making my own double sided tape with 3m adhesive on the backside of the tape and then placing them together.
    It holds well.

I imagine it is the same as the above mentioned Ben Crowe method. I don’t know if I could use super glue without glueing myself down as well though.

4. Collin D Plonker

Right. Only problem is how can you clamp a little template when using a router, and second, I am not using pickup rings. I'll go with masking tape and super glue.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

That's an idea. The Ben Crowe method uses masking tape on the body and the template, then a bead of super glue to hold the two layers together. It is so strong I have to pry it apart with a plastic putty knife.

gregulator450 likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Its possible to clamp and move it around as required but I still screw 'em down when I can

068.JPG

IMG_3284.JPG

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I've had the same issue and realized I was trying to take off too much at once with the router. In my case it wasn't a solid color so I had to live with it. 3M carpet tape works fine for me. On solid colors I always screw it down. In your case make a bigger template out of your smaller one.

8. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Double sided tape is the worst. It either doesn’t want to stick or sticks so well it tears the wood up when I try to remove it. I’ve had that happen to me enough times that I screw down every template.

DavidV likes this.
  9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I always use double sided tape. I now use double sided duct tape from lowes. I think the superglue tape thing kind of sucks. If your template is too small though, and you don't have enough tape on it to hold things in place...well that can happen. Too much tape can be hard to get parts separated, so you have to learn how much is enough without being too much. Prying stuff off carefully is key too. I use a scraper to provide support.

Perhaps making a larger template with more surface area could be in order. In fact ,making a large template offers more surface area to support the router, and a place to stick clamps. I used to use the stewmac acrylic templates and eventually made my own, as they get messed up.

Your original can be the template for the larger one. Use wood or a good quality plywood. I've used plexiglas for large templates too. I'm not a big fan of routing it though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
  10. DavidV

DavidV TDPRI Member

If I absolutely have to use double sided tape (fretboards and necks usually) I like the duct tape style with cloth. The residue cleans up with denatured alcohol.

For pickups routes I sandwich the body between two pieces of MDF with lag bolts and wing nuts. The top MDF sheet being the template.

11. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

Both methods work equally well. If using double sided tape, use masking tape on both surfaces first. Then adhere the tape. If you use a suitable double sided tape, you'll get zero movement. And you'll have no damages to the timber on removal.

12. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O16SHW/?tag=tdpri-20

This is what I use. I use several pieces and put a few in different directions and it won't move. I have to get a putty knife and carefully slide it in between the wood and template and carefully pry it apart. Otherwise I'll break my template trying to get it apart. Ask me how I figured that out. Clamping doesn't work for me because I put a pretty big base on my router so I wouldn't be able to maneuver around clamps.

When possible I use screws, but I almost always use that tape.

13. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like to use clamps. That being said I make all my own templates and allow for clamping. Now there are times you do need to use double sided tape to hold a template I find most double sided tape thick and do not have enough holding strength what i prefer is double sided carpet tape, cheap and holds better a pain to remove but better than having a mishap

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I make my templates big enough to get clamps/screws on them somewhere... I don't trust tape either.... ;)

15. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

I too use the double sided duct tape from Lowes. It sticks very well and the glue residue comes right off with Naptha or Denatured Alcohol.

When possible I use clamps instead.

Also you have to be careful not to push the router so hard when you come to the edges of the template. Take small "bites" and sneak up on the edge.

SacDAve likes this.
  16. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

@Freeman Keller
    If you have room to get 2 clamps on it, why use tape at all?
    Just curious.

i re-did all my pickup templates with large wings on ‘em, specifically for clamping room. The 2-sided tape thing bit me once, never again.

17. Freeman Keller

Often I can't get two clamps on it. Frequently I'll stick it down with tape but add one clamp as much out of the way as I can get it. When I start getting close to the clamp I'll stop routing, move the clamp and continue. The tape does assure that the template can't move.

However 90 percent of the time I will be using screws - all of my humbuckers will get rings so I can use the mounting holes, my neck templates are designed to screw down and most of my hardware templates have some screws. When I'm routing necks or finger boards I've got dowels aligning things.

SacDAve likes this.
  18. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Like mentioned above, I try to make my templates over size so I can incorporate either screws in places that will be routed later, or to hold a clamp. I also like to use one of these Kreg hold down clamps when possible. It keeps the guitar and the template from moving.
    [​IMG]

19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

It's not the double sided tape.. it's the quality of the double sided tape one selects.. and the pressure or lack thereof one uses to insure that tape holds firmly.. I wouldn't trust the imported crap many discount retailers offer on a bet... I use GolfWorks Grip tape... It's a pain in the arse to get to release... and I also clamp the template for a few moments before I begin routing..... Never had one let go yet...

r

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    John Nicholas likes this.
  20. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Whelp, I'm not qualified to offer an opinion here, I will see myself out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.