I Hate / Dislike Mowing This Time Of The Year

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, May 5, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Hate is a strong word, but I mean it anecdotally, not literally.

Mowing this year has been a major pain. I do't mind mowing the lawn; but the back yard STILL has standing water. It has been a rough year for rain. About 1/4 of the lawn in the back has standing water, straight out mud, or is squishy when you step and leaves tracks.

By the end of the month, all will be fine. But for now, I have to skip some areas, or just leave wheel tracks and foot prints.

Wet, muddy feet. Mud up the backs of my legs. Tracks in the yard. Yuck.

</WHINE>

2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

didnt make the cut on Friday like was supposed to..raining ever since..will pay for it tomorrow ,

DonM, Bassman8 and unixfish like this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, but there might be fish out there. It's worth making a few casts to find out:)

Piggy Stu, teletimetx, schmee and 3 others like this.
  4. unixfish

No kidding. We could eat like kings!

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Mow around the wet spots ...

6. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Funny, not ten seconds before I saw this thread I asked the wife if she would mind me putting off mowing until tomorrow after work. It is getting a bit high now, but this is the first weekend I've had off in some time.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  7. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Mowed for the first time yesterday, May 4th. Usually start in March here in this part of Michigan. We had snow a week or so ago. It just finally greened up and started growing a couple weeks ago. What a spring!

8. unixfish

I mow around the worst of the wet spots, but if I skipped everything that was wet, it would be a significant portion of the back - about 25%.

9. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Oh Yeah, I've been stuck twice today but it really needs to be mowed. More rain all next week. I may have to bush hog by next weekend

drlizardo likes this.
  10. unixfish

I have a riding mower; it is still in the garage. Waaaaay too wet in the back; I get stuck last spring and had to have my wife ride the tractor and I pulled with a rope from a dry spot. So, I've been push mowing this spring. The yard is not that big; some friends of ours moved and sold us the riding mower cheap. That, and it has big bins to collect leaves in the fall, so...

I'd still rather mow through muck than walk or cycle for exercise; at least I feel like I accomplished something when I'm done.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my place is still soggy from a few weeks of rain.... I don't like leaving wheel tracks all over the place either...

it's a clear sunny day today, I could be out there mowing.... nah not today, let it dry out some more and watch the grass/weeds get longer...

I had to pull the head off my b&s 18hp to have a look inside after the carby butterfly shaft broke and sucked some bits into the engine... it still turned over but I couldn't risk running it in case the bits were still in there... sure enough a small screw was imbedded in the head with a corresponding dint in the piston, fortunately the valves/seats were fine...... a good de-carbon and clean and a new head gasket should give it a new life. I found a new carby online for 25 bucks to put on, it's up and running again..... touch guitar wood...:lol:

head screw.jpg

12. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

things are really late this year, cold wet weather hasn't really encouraged much growth. first weekend of May and still haven't had the yard cleaned up yet, let alone mowed. about the only thing growing are the damn dandelions.

13. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Yup! Northeast Ohio is pretty soggy. I have "a guy" that mows my yard and had to have him skip this weekend to try to give the mud a chance to dry a little over the next couple days. Of course it'll probably go from 50s/60s and rain to 80's and draught stricken over night.

14. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

We have a bit over an acre. I usually use a riding mower for the bulk of the yard, and a push mower with a bagger for just the pool area and inside the fenced in back yard. It’s been raining like crazy. I mowed once with ride on mower about a week or so ago, and I haven’t touched the back yet. The back is crazy high as a result. Hopefully the next couple of days I can get out there. We also have contractors working at the house doing our roof, and building a shade structure off the back of the house. We have shingles, equipment and stuff all over the place. And a dumpster. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Did mine yesterday, only got stuck once, unlike last week when it was 3 times. The whole YARD is a wet spot but its growing so fast I'd need a bush hog if I didnt knock it back some.

16. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

if your lawn puddles why not grade it level or with a slight bump so the lawn wont puddle anymore

17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I think your thread title has a mistake in it--here, I fixed it for you, so you can cut and paste it in.

"I Hate / Dislike Mowing"

Bassman8 and unixfish like this.
  18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Move to my neighborhood. The nearest blade of grass is two and a half blocks away.

RetroTeleRod and JL_LI like this.
  19. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Sounds like Indiana.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

20. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I mowed the back for the first time today, and it was mushy. We have a slight berm where we had left some extra soil a few years back, and a critter had dug some tunnels in it. I was able to close up the holes and do some light regrading just with my Crocs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.