I had to make an uncomfortable (To my ears, that is) compromise to my new band.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
their is a device, a complete closed box that has in it a speaker with in front of it a mic at front of that speaker in that closed box .
from your amp the speaker is shutdown and the amp is connected to the input of that box, the output of that box is the line from the mic for the PA.

But it ain't light traveling with that ;)

you can now rehearse and in that time look for a better option like @VintageSG wrote earlier

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Okay, let me clarify a couple of things here.

- The rehearsal space is SMALL, 14 by 14, and it also doubles as our drummer's recording studio. In order to have a clean, even sound into the PA and his recording gear, he uses an electric drum kit, which takes up half the space as it stands.
- So that means, bringing in my amp would have my signal be too loud in the rehearsal space...
1. Our rehearsal space is very small, too, but there is room for amps and PA.
2. So the drummer is recording rehearsals? Are you guys rehearsing with headphones?
3. Most Fender amps have a volume control.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
1. Our rehearsal space is very small, too, but there is room for amps and PA.
2. So the drummer is recording rehearsals? Are you guys rehearsing with headphones?
3. Most Fender amps have a volume control.
1. With us there just isn't, it's very cramped.

2. Yup, he records the whole thing in a live feed, so no headphones.

3. Yes, Fender Amps DO have a volume control… and it's pretty much useless, since it'll go FULL BLAST if you go over just one, and you can barely hear it at all if you're below it.
It is also for that same reason why I LOVE Fender amps, that Headroom that they have, there's simply nothing like it.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Holic
It sounds like you have a very practical reason to use a modeler. Nothing sounds like an amp, that isn't an amp. That being said, I have used, or currently own everything mentioned in this thread so far, I have written a few times here on the topic. The short and sweet of it is, cost, raw simplicity, and the average application.... The Joyo American Sound pedal is very likely exactly what you want. It does not get markedly better than that until you hit a price and complexity point that you likely don't want the hassle of. If you get all of your drive sounds from the pedalboard, you can just set the American Sound up for a decent clean tone and go from there.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I've never played through a Joyo AM, but for $24, how bad can it be? I'd try it. The combo of what I Have suggested earlier would be around $500. Spin the wheel. I would try one and I am one fickle dude when it comes to tone.

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
I've been in a small rehearsal room situation where it just wasn't possible to use an amp with any authority. Direct was the only way to go. I used a Tech21 Liverpool that does a fair Imitation of a Vox amp (although it really shines as a bass DI! That's what I use at church if I'm scheduled to play bass) and could get a decent sense of what I was doing.

After several weeks of learning the music and each other we arranged for two or three rehearsals in a live space so we could all use our "real" equipment. Then we started gigging and the problem became less important.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
1. With us there just isn't, it's very cramped.

2. Yup, he records the whole thing in a live feed, so no headphones.

3. Yes, Fender Amps DO have a volume control… and it's pretty much useless, since it'll go FULL BLAST if you go over just one, and you can barely hear it at all if you're below it.
It is also for that same reason why I LOVE Fender amps, that Headroom that they have, there's simply nothing like it.
1. Our rehearsal space is really about 12' x 12', a small bedroom with two closets on two walls that give an additional space of about 2' x 3' at the doors, so they can't be really utilized. I have several amps in there, the other guitar player has a small amp, a bass amp, full set of drums, a 2 keyboard rack, two EV's on stands, the PA, and a table that I use when working on guitars. It's kinda cramped but fully workable.
2. I played in a band that rehearsed in a recording studio, all of us using headphones. At the time I didn't know, didn't think about it, but he was recording every practice. So my thinking was that, once we started playing live gigs, the sound would be clean and pristine and at a low volume. Boy, was I surprised. That was one of the loudest bands I've ever been in.
3. I use a Fender Super Reverb at rehearsals. We play kinda loud, but I use my guitar's volume control a lot. I usually keep my amp volume on ~ 3. I'm surprised that any Fender amp's volume control is so sensitive.

As for your sound problem, may I suggest a Mesa/Boogie V-Twin pedal? Two tubes, two channels.

1666449120438.png

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
I have not read all of the replies but I keep thinking of the great amp simulators that came with my old, cheap, Pro Tools rig. There must be a simple laptop, or phone app, that can do this stuff? OR do all the cable and connections make this too difficult?

I do think the first thing I would at least try is the line out from your amp, if that is the sound you need to have.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
Me, I'd turn this into a positive experience - it gives you the chance to check out all this new tech available out there for amp modeling. Many people on this board and elsewhere swear by this tech and have announced their conversion from using amps altogether. A lot has been discussed above. Buying the same long-surpassed device you hated before is not a logical basis for categorically deciding that modeling sucks. There are a ton of options available getting rave reviews out there. The state of the art stuff like the Iridium is spendy, but there seem to be cheaper alternatives. Have fun!

TelecasterBlooz

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Behringer Vamp, and was able to get some righteous tone going into the PA. What led me to ditch it mid gig, was the latency switching patches. Too much lag time going from a rhythm patch to a lead patch (3 piece, I was the 6 string slinger). I immediately switched to my Korg Pandora PX3 on the "Eddie" patch, and rolled the volume down and up (rhythm and lead) with much better effect to get through the show. Went back to my Peavey Duece 2 after that.

Reactions: BB

PoorNoodle

Tele-Meister
I would go with something like a Line 6 Helix (full or HX stomp) and load some impulse responses (IRs) instead of the speaker sims. For me it would be close enough to my amps…My $0.02

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
I did isomething similar last weekend. We played in a bikers bar in the downtown of Madrid

Digital drumset, and next to the computer of the left you can see a Yamaha THR10 and a THR5. The bass player used a VOX pedalboard and we all went to a Behriger X-18 mixer. We gave the bartender a red and a white cable and there we go!!!

We took two monitors as sidefields. At the end is like whenm you play in a huge stage and have to listen by monitors bplaceut in a small

Well... is not the same but once ypou get in the music ypu don't cre, public neither

305484656_10228831583322854_6239451758941953256_n.jpg

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
Okay, rewind the clock back to around a full month ago. I get in touch with these guys who were from a professional touring band about wanting to start a band with me, because of my songwriting. And I was going, “Great, those are the kind of guys who I can tell how the songs should be played, and they actually write it down and take it as law.” Which is VERY different from those people who said that repeating the same mistake in a song over years of practice was “My own input” and “the song evolving.”

Anyway, I arrived at their rehearsal space with my thinline tele and my blue Washburn.
View attachment 1041931 View attachment 1041932
And the drummer goes, “Can I help you unload anything else from your car?” and I tell him “Just my amp” which is my Fender Stage 112 SE.
View attachment 1041933

At which I was told that for the rehearsal we all would plug into the PA, no amps needed. So, I plugged my pedal board into the PA, and it sounded like crap, regardless, I bit the bullet and played the full rehearsal like that and just went on with business. The bass player and drummer said that they admired my work ethic.

But seeing as how, plugging into the PA was going to be standard procedure, I decided to go out and buy something which I owned before, was familiar with… AND was never all that happy about.
Line_6_POD_2.0.jpg

Those Line6 POD 2.0 are old tech these days and can be picked up for peanuts. I got a killer deal from my usual shop which included a floor mounted control unit and a gig bag for the whole bugging shebang.

Anyway, after arriving home, I went straight into setting the tones up to my liking and was instantly reminded why I never could get along with the POD, there's just NO WAY to get a good sound from it. It's always close, but not quite.

Anyway, come the next rehearsal, I unpack my POD and our bass player goes “Good call, those always sound good!” and indeed, in the band setting, all of us plugged into the PA, the POD did an okay job.

Then this Monday, we have a singer, guitarist join the fray, so I can focus on playing (thank god, I was never that comfortable in the lead singer role.) She plugs her pedal board into the PA, and it sounds like crap. She goes, “Oh my, I think I'mma gonna have to replace the pickups of my strat!” I tell her that it's not the strat and to prove my point I let her plug into the POD and all of a sudden that tinny lifeless sound was gone.

From what I understand, she's now on the lookout for a POD herself.

All's well that ends well, right?

Well, no, not in the slightest, because although the POD works perfectly for this band, it doesn't hold a candle to the sound I get from my Fender amp, and I'm IRKED. I HATE my own sound, but it's the sound I'm going to have to work with. A compromise, rather than what I TRULY want.
Walk it off, rub some Dirt in it.
Tell yourself that this won't be forever.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Okay, with my new band I needed a nylon string with a pickup, so I could play the ballads which I recorded using that kind of sound.
Morgan.jpg

I found the ideal candidate in this Morgan branded electro, which was B-stock because of it having an ugly repair to the bridge. I got a really good deal here, since the repair, although ugly, is solid.

Last Monday was the day when I took it to rehearsal for the first time and plugged into the Line6 POD, it sounded amazing. Imagine Chet Atkins' Nylon string solid. But deeper.

Yeah, this POD is very picky about what guitars sound good through it and which ones don't. I had my tele with me, and it sounded wire thin through the POD.

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
Okay, with my new band I needed a nylon string with a pickup, so I could play the ballads which I recorded using that kind of sound.
View attachment 1046738
I found the ideal candidate in this Morgan branded electro, which was B-stock because of it having an ugly repair to the bridge. I got a really good deal here, since the repair, although ugly, is solid.

Last Monday was the day when I took it to rehearsal for the first time and plugged into the Line6 POD, it sounded amazing. Imagine Chet Atkins' Nylon string solid. But deeper.

Yeah, this POD is very picky about what guitars sound good through it and which ones don't. I had my tele with me, and it sounded wire thin through the POD.

Always nice to find a new guitar you like - especially cheap!

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I hate the POD. never sounded quite right, but mostly because a couple times when I had to depend on it, it quit (one wasn't exactly the POD's fault) but I was dead in the water. so... no more dependance on equipment other than what I have to have. that is a good amp and a good guitar. that has to sound good on its own with no other stuff

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I used a Line 6 POD XT for 12 years doing worship music and it always delivered.
In those days, I ran it into the top of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Based on that experience (and my olde back), nowadays I'd run the POD right into the PA and leave the amp on consignment somewhere ...
What I dug about the POD was that there was no futzing and adjusting.
Tweak a patch and then just go with it.
Worked great every time.