I had to make an uncomfortable (To my ears, that is) compromise to my new band.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
I'm assuming that you don't want to spend too much cash. An IR loading pedal with power amp sim will get some pretty decent sounds, provided you have a good pre-amp sound from your pedal board. If you really dig the Fender sound, the Joyo American Sound is great for the price ~$30 USD. It will give you a Fender like sound straight into the PA.
NUX Studio Mini IR Loader+ Amp Sim:
Joyo American Sound:

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That’s why I love real tube based preamp pedals. Nothing is “exactly” the same as a warmed up tube amp that’s pushed just right. But since a fair portion of that creamy goodness comes from the front of the amp, the power side is something many people don’t really differentiate with their ears, a full tube preamp is my answer. Marshall, Kingsley, Matchless, Fender, Mesa, Soldano, Ampeg, I’m set. I’d still use effects if I need delay or something. Those digital solutions are great. But if it’s not for you look for an analog tube preamp.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
My thoughts exactly, and compromise would indicate the others gave up something. Not seeing that.
Well, I see that the OP had to "compromise" his sound by playing through the PA instead of his amp, so that's the compromise. I just wonder why rehearsals are set up that way. And BTW I have NEVER been able to get a good sound going direct from a processor to the PA. I know that others have but I haven't.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
So you had a Line6 POD 2.0 before that you didn’t like and you bought another one? That’s on you.

No amp is a no go for me. Tell me the the problem you’re trying to solve by not using amps, don’t try to dictate no amps. I have to hear myself in order to play. What’s the difference whether I hear myself through a monitor or use my amp for a monitor?

When someone joins my band I tell them how we do things. If they don’t speak up I assume they are on board. It’s up to them to tell me if they have an objection; then we sit down and talk like adults and figure it out.

Maybe I’m missing something, but it doesn’t sound like you even tried to talk to them about this. The only one you should be unhappy with is yourself.

Last edited:

WalthamMoosical

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
I've heard that song sung several times, in person and online. If a guitarist's tone isn't good, they jump right to the pickup swap instead of dealing with the real problem, amplification or pedals.
If my tone isn't good, I jump right to the pickup swap, or the amplification, or the pedals, but my bandmates tell me to deal with the real problem, which is that I suck.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Okay, let me clarify a couple of things here.

- The rehearsal space is SMALL, 14 by 14, and it also doubles as our drummer's recording studio. In order to have a clean, even sound into the PA and his recording gear, he uses an electric drum kit, which takes up half the space as it stands.
- So that means, bringing in my amp would have my signal be too loud in the rehearsal space, and it would also cramp up our space even more.
- It is our intention, that as soon as we have rehearsed our songs to such an extent that we know them by the back of our hands, to start rehearsing with our stage gear, which includes an acoustic drumkit and live amps.
- From what the others told me, what live shows are concerned, it's going to be opening gigs for bigger bands. (A very big perk of our rhythm section's past as professional touring musicians.) And playing gigs at small and medium-sized venues with other bands Co-headlining.

So the idea is to do this full time, tour, tour, tour, play every single chicken coop but to also make sure that we'll kick ass doing so.

As for why I bought that Line 6 POD when there's so much better out there. Very simple: because I'm familiar with Line 6, I KNOW what it does, I know I can tweak it. I don't have to spend hours, dialling it all in.
That's one thing that I like about the POD, it's EASY.

Having said all that, I can't wait to start using my Fender amp to play those songs with.

Fluddman

Tele-Holic
That being the case, I would just use your normal pedal board and use an Iridium (or similar) for your amp and into the pa. This works well for me feeding into a powered speaker or wedge. So it should work fine into a PA.

This gives you the consistency of using the same pedal board for rehearsal and gigs.

Good luck.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I got on with a Sansamp when I had to go through a PA for silent stage. Much better than a pod to my ears and still not expensive
Here's a cheaper clone of that thing:
tm300_p0518_left_l.jpg

Flyboy

Tele-Afflicted
Speaking of pickups, those two single coils on the Tele look really tall, as in close to the strings. Maybe it's just the camera angle.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
I’m nearly always playing through a Boss GT1 nowadays. The pedal itself has what is to me a really good sound.
The main issue I find is getting the sound in the monitoring right when playing out - I’m not playing in a band currently but regularly play open mics. Sound men normally get the FOH fine but monitoring can be way off so you end up jiggling guitar controls to try to compensate.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
Okay, let me clarify a couple of things here.

- The rehearsal space is SMALL, 14 by 14, and it also doubles as our drummer's recording studio. In order to have a clean, even sound into the PA and his recording gear, he uses an electric drum kit, which takes up half the space as it stands.
- So that means, bringing in my amp would have my signal be too loud in the rehearsal space, and it would also cramp up our space even more.
- It is our intention, that as soon as we have rehearsed our songs to such an extent that we know them by the back of our hands, to start rehearsing with our stage gear, which includes an acoustic drumkit and live amps.
- From what the others told me, what live shows are concerned, it's going to be opening gigs for bigger bands. (A very big perk of our rhythm section's past as professional touring musicians.) And playing gigs at small and medium-sized venues with other bands Co-headlining.

So the idea is to do this full time, tour, tour, tour, play every single chicken coop but to also make sure that we'll kick ass doing so.

As for why I bought that Line 6 POD when there's so much better out there. Very simple: because I'm familiar with Line 6, I KNOW what it does, I know I can tweak it. I don't have to spend hours, dialling it all in.
That's one thing that I like about the POD, it's EASY.

Having said all that, I can't wait to start using my Fender amp to play those songs with.
If you’d said all that up front, you’d have gotten very different responses.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Okay, rewind the clock back to around a full month ago. I get in touch with these guys who were from a professional touring band about wanting to start a band with me, because of my songwriting. And I was going, “Great, those are the kind of guys who I can tell how the songs should be played, and they actually write it down and take it as law.” Which is VERY different from those people who said that repeating the same mistake in a song over years of practice was “My own input” and “the song evolving.”

Anyway, I arrived at their rehearsal space with my thinline tele and my blue Washburn.
View attachment 1041931 View attachment 1041932
And the drummer goes, “Can I help you unload anything else from your car?” and I tell him “Just my amp” which is my Fender Stage 112 SE.
View attachment 1041933

At which I was told that for the rehearsal we all would plug into the PA, no amps needed. So, I plugged my pedal board into the PA, and it sounded like crap, regardless, I bit the bullet and played the full rehearsal like that and just went on with business. The bass player and drummer said that they admired my work ethic.

But seeing as how, plugging into the PA was going to be standard procedure, I decided to go out and buy something which I owned before, was familiar with… AND was never all that happy about.
Line_6_POD_2.0.jpg

Those Line6 POD 2.0 are old tech these days and can be picked up for peanuts. I got a killer deal from my usual shop which included a floor mounted control unit and a gig bag for the whole bugging shebang.

Anyway, after arriving home, I went straight into setting the tones up to my liking and was instantly reminded why I never could get along with the POD, there's just NO WAY to get a good sound from it. It's always close, but not quite.

Anyway, come the next rehearsal, I unpack my POD and our bass player goes “Good call, those always sound good!” and indeed, in the band setting, all of us plugged into the PA, the POD did an okay job.

Then this Monday, we have a singer, guitarist join the fray, so I can focus on playing (thank god, I was never that comfortable in the lead singer role.) She plugs her pedal board into the PA, and it sounds like crap. She goes, “Oh my, I think I'mma gonna have to replace the pickups of my strat!” I tell her that it's not the strat and to prove my point I let her plug into the POD and all of a sudden that tinny lifeless sound was gone.

From what I understand, she's now on the lookout for a POD herself.

All's well that ends well, right?

Well, no, not in the slightest, because although the POD works perfectly for this band, it doesn't hold a candle to the sound I get from my Fender amp, and I'm IRKED. I HATE my own sound, but it's the sound I'm going to have to work with. A compromise, rather than what I TRULY want.

i hate to be the one.... but, bands are like marriages that can get really complicated. In a Trio, not too bad, a quartet ... ouch!, more than for and your in deep deep do dooh.
marriage is about compromise (and mostly yes dear).
So now you have to compromise with How Many people in the band? Welcome to marital bliss , If you look it up in the dictionary bliss has compromise in the middle