I had to go to the MVA today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mjark, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

I got there two minutes after it opened and there were at least 30 people ahead of me in line to get their hurry up and wait ticket.

My driver's license needed to be renewed and I guess because of the eye test it's the one thing you can't do on line. Apparently the last time I was there was 2011 when got my about to expire license.

Once I got my number it was an hour until I got out the door. Our new licenses are so hi tech they can't make them on the spot now. It'll be mailed to me in about a week.

I had been hoping since it's the middle of the month it would have been less crowded, but no. There are only two offices in a county of over 500,000 people.

william tele likes this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Glen Burnie? I could have warned you, the ladies there tend to clock in and head for the cafeteria for breakfast.

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I took my brother to the dmv today to get his license reinstated. It was my quickest visit ever. It would have been quicker if either of us had a checkbook. We had to go get a money order. With that it was under 40 minutes from walking in the door the first time and walking out with his new license.

I'm sure my next visit I will pay for it.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It was that way for years and years around here...then they opened a new branch a little farther out in suburbia. Seems not very many have caught on and the last three visits were in and out.

Can't last. Word will spread and things will be snafu'd normally again.

5. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Government-run anything is a nightmare. Try dealing with the VA!

troy2003 likes this.
  6. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Surprisingly enough in Massachusetts, of all places they have made an effort to improve DMV services. There are many things (lic./reg. renewal) that you can do on-line. Most new car dealers in MA have the ability to register and plate cars right from the dealership. I generally echo falcon5's sentiment, but in this case, more is right than is wrong.

Mjark and Teleguy61 like this.
  7. src9000

The dmv near me is well managed and the staff is professional. There's just a lot of people. Even with pen dot outsourcing services.

It's better by far from what I remember.

8. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

My eye sight is about 20/20,000.
    So when I went to get a New Mexico drivers license in 2010.
    They actually asked me....IF....I wanted an eye test?
    I told them that without my glasses, I couldn't even drive out of the parking lot.
    THEN, they gave me an eye test.

Crazy, or what.....................................................................

Steve

src9000 likes this.
  9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

They do not take credit cards? You have got to be joking.

10. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Yes, MA RMV has made huge strides, at least into the 20th century, pushing on into the 21st.
    And about time, they were hell before.
    As I had a birthday coming up, I check my license, and was alarmed to discover it had expired a year ago!
    Woops!
    And I was out of state on vacation at the time, traveling by car.
    Double woops!
    Went to the handy laptop, had it renewed and all legit in 5 minutes.
    Sometimes, only sometimes, technology is our partner.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When we moved to BC and went to get our new licenses, my wife felt she was treated differently from me. I remember they asked her why motorcycles can accelerate faster than cars -- of course it's the power-to-weight ratio, I said. She looked at me like I was a Martian. I think she had said something about a death wish. We both still got our licenses and they asked us very nicely to leave.

12. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Michigan was the worst for me (years ago). I went in, got my number waited 30 minutes, went to the counter and asked for XYZ form to have my optometrist to complete because of my myopia. They argued with me and insisted I take the eye test. I told them I would fail it, which is why I need the form. Still insisted, I took the test, failed it as predicted. Then they asked if I wore glasses or contacts. Yes, and I have my contacts in! And I drove here! Now GIVE me the FORM!! Michigan gave me so much trouble at every step (application, eye exam, insurance). Man I was so glad to leave that state.

6942 likes this.
  13. src9000

Or cash. No joking.

14. Mjark

No, Annapolis.

15. Mjark

MD's is much improved too. In fact was a friend of ours that ran it and updated but it can only serve so many efficiently.
    I probably would have had a quicker trip later in the day.

16. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I moved to the Great White North from California ten years ago so it's been a while since I've dealt with the DMV down there. I don't remember them requiring cash or checks. If I remember correctly you could renew by mail if you didn't have any tickets.

17. Mjark

I haven't found private contractors doing Government's business to be anything special. I've worked for one.

I wouldn't want to be in a for profit prison! Nor any other but...

18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Here in Va my license expired on a Sunday. So Monday morning I went in to renew it. They told me that since it was now expired I'd need birth certificate, and a few other things. I tried pointing out that were closed on Sunday. They pointed out that I needed a birth certificate. So I had to get online and get copies from South Carolina. I won't make that mistake again

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

They do online in Colorado. You have to use the same picture, though and mine is none too good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.