I had to cut a deeper arm contour. Need a new guitar

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Danishboy, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Danishboy

Danishboy Tele-Meister

I had to cut my Squier to make the arm contour deeper.
    I have neuropathy, so i had to do this, and it made a HUGE difference on my hand/arm pain. I can play effortless now.

I need a new guitar though.
    Which guitars, with an arm contour as deep as this, would suit me you think?

Attached Files:

Jlwctn likes this.
  2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

Heck, if ya got that one where ya need it, make a project of it and refinish it.

jh

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

No clue on factory versions. I make my arm cuts pretty deep because of where my arm rests on the guitar. I go further toward the pickguard because my arm usually rests right on the corner where the contour starts.

How did you deepen that contour? That doesn't look all that comfortable to be honest.

I'd suggest buying a blank body, getting a nice rasp and some sand paper and deepening to your liking and then painting it or having someone finish it for you. That can run more than a new Squier though unfortunately.

nojazzhere and Danishboy like this.
  4. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Why not try a thinner guitar like an S series Ibanez?

I'm scared to ask how you did that btw.
    Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

You can always snag a guitar kit or unfinished body and contour it to your needs. You can have it sprayed/wrapped at an auto body shop or finish it yourself with rattle cans or tru-oil.

6. Danishboy

Danishboy Tele-Meister

My arm also rests on the corner where the contour starts.
    I was desperate one day, so i just used a knife. It works ok, but not long term.
    Neck is to narrow and the pu's are not great and it doesnt stay in tune.
    Its a beginner guitar, and i need to upgrade to a Tele in decent quality.

A blank body. Well of course. I dont mind the extra cost

7. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Meister

I’d like some more photos. Maybe from the front. But in the meantime I’d get some filler and smooth your cut out and refinish it. Do a good job on that and upgrade the electronics if you see fit. If this is your only guitar, that’s where I’d put the money right now.

jh

8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

looks like your squier is made of real wood, that's good.
    One option would be to buy an unfinished strat body and then shape it how you want, you could do an easy stain/sealer finish by hand if you're not in to painting. Then use the neck and parts from your squier on the new body.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm no luthier, but couldnt you have the arm cut sanded, smoothed, filled, and painted ? if its at a point where it is working for you but is fugly make it beautiful again

Frodebro and Fretting out like this.
  10. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

There's always:

[​IMG]

TheGooch, Wyzsard, Bortyeast and 3 others like this.
  11. Danishboy

Danishboy Tele-Meister

It aint pretty, but it was this, or not playing guitar at all

Attached Files:

12. Danishboy

Danishboy Tele-Meister

I need it to be super lightweight, so i think i'll get a blank body, sand it down and make something i would be proud to play, instead of this ugly thing.
    Probably have a professional to put it together, paint it etc

Lightest wood would be paulownia or pine, right?

old soul and Jlwctn like this.
  13. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

tintag27 likes this.
  14. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

If you've ever seen an Aerodyne strat, they are made with a curved/arched top.
    I find it super comfortable.
    It looks like a very subtle curve, but it actually feels like more relief than a standard strat because there is no "hump" where it transitions to the flat top.

I got an eBay vendor called Taurowoodworks to make this Aerodyne type body for me https://www.ebay.com/usr/taurowoodworks?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

20200406_130253.jpg

He does all kinds of custom orders and should be able to make the arch fall away more sharply toward the forearm relief area. Mine in fact was a custom order - the first arch top strat body he had made.
    Mine is about a 33" radius which is close to the measurements I took from an Aerodyne strat in a store.
    I would be cautious about curving the center of the body too radically because you might run into problems with your bridge, neck pocket, etc (this build was able to use all standard strat parts).
    But the area that matters to you could drop off a lot more without causing problems.

Mine is cherry and bound, so not cheap or light.
    But you could do poplar, pine, etc., and go for a solid color finish.
    You probably want to avoid the binding anyway if you're going to have a deeper forearm relief.

If you are totally uninterested in doing any of the work yourself, it should not be prohibitive to find someone to put it together for you. There are tons of super talented people here on TDPRI, and most local luthiers are used to "partscaster jobs."
    But there is probably a lot of it you could do yourself if so inclined.

One DIY guitar lesson I had to learn the hard way: don't go cheap on the neck.
    You'll read on these forums all the time where a guy gets a $25 neck on Alibaba or DHGate, and will post something like "All I had to do was level and recrown the frets, dress the fret ends, a little bit of refinishing work and straighten it a bit, and it plays great!" If you have all those skills, awesome. Personally I will be a Warmoth customer for the foreseeable future. I really like their compound radius necks with the side adjust truss rod, and I have large clumsy sausage-like fingers so 44mm width at the nut works great for me. YMMV.

mistermikev and tintag27 like this.
  15. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

There was a thread the other day about basswood. I had a basswood Tele, and liked it a lot. Pretty light. Much lighter than my Alder Tele I'm currently building and the solid walnut one I built a few years ago.

Danishboy likes this.
  16. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I don't understand why you don't simply sand that smooth. You can buy a belt sander and orbital sander which are nice to have around anyway ... or if you don't want to buy tools, just start coarse and work your way to finer grits of sandpaper and sanding block. Let people think you paid more for it as a roadworn series.

One of these would be nice to have:
    Rasp.jpg

DHart, shupe13 and tintag27 like this.
  17. Danishboy

Danishboy Tele-Meister

Thats the plan. I just cut it in pure desperation

18. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I understand that ... I'm just saying why buy a new guitar instead of just sanding what you have now to make it smooth? You say it plays effortlessly now so just smooth it up and keep it. No need to buy a new guitar.

19. tbp0701

tbp0701 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if it'll work for you, but the 2008 PRS Mira I have is quite thin and light with contours. I haven't tried the SE or S2 versions, but something like might work for you or other thin, smaller, doublecut guitars. (I've recently noticed contours much more as I've dropped nearly half my size).

I just saw Sweetwater's guitar page can be sorted by lightest. The lightest in the solidbody section after some travelers and extreme cutaways are the PRS SE Vela and SE Mira. Then an Ibanez and SG Jr.

Danishboy likes this.
  20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you want a Strat.

Blue Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.