I had resigned being done getting more guitars...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, May 15, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Love that Cabronita Thinline of yours! I have one myself in Shoreline Gold - it was my first Fender Thinline and I loved the guitar from day one. It also gave me my first taste of Gretsch-style pickups, which I have come to implement in several of my Fender and Gibson guitars - awesome pickups!

I think Fender is offering a Cabronita model once again (finally!), but unfortunately at premium USA prices. Be nice if they offered some from the Ensenada plant.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    johnnylaw likes this.
  2. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I ended up modding my MIM - gen-er-wine FilterTron pickups, Hipshot bridge etc. Planned on adding a full Tele control plate etc but just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Chrome and gold! I used to own a US made Cabronita but didn’t bond with it for some reason. Did you modify your Cabronita in any way?

3. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I bought mine as loaded body (no neck) because I wanted to go with a rosewood board.

[​IMG]

First thing I did was switch from a white guard to a black guard and add the rosewood neck.

I tried a set of genuine FIlter'tron pickups in it for a while, but decided I liked the Fideli'tron tone better - they have a little more "character", which I preferred.

The only other mod is, I installed an 880k volume pot, which kicked up the sparkle and edge a bit. Now I'm really thrilled with the tones from it - and will leave it as is.

superjam144, Southpole and csapo like this.
  4. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

What is the actual model name?

DHart likes this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

...anxiously looking forward to your next purchase(s) lol.

She is a very nice instrument, for sure. Enjoy. And enjoy all those future purchases you swore off! :lol:

DHart likes this.
  6. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Great, great job and congrats. That is a true stunner. You have a great eye!!!

DHart likes this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Well done.

DHart likes this.
  8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Dave... it is a Fender Britt Daniel Thinline Ash Telecaster, with Amarillo Gold lacquer finish. $1999.

From Fender it would have a maple neck. I didn't want the maple neck, as I found this special run American Professional Ebony neck which I liked much better. I bought the body stripped of neck, hardware, and electronics, which was exactly as I wanted it, so I could customize from scratch.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/telecaster/britt-daniel-tele-thinline/0113702751.html

9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thanks, csapo! I'm not sure if it's my left eye, or my right... but I'm hoping that the other comes along close behind it! :lol:

BTW, I grew up San Francisco. 3522 Clay St. That's my favorite "city", though it's kind of gone off the deep end in recent years, sadly. Still an amazing place - perhaps the most beautiful city in the world.

I love your collection of lolly-pop Teles, BTW!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  10. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

Way cool - congrats on your latest axequisition!

DHart likes this.
  11. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Very nice! Congrats.

DHart likes this.
  12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

sweet looking thinline! congrats!

DHart likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I would like to thank you ALL for graciously stopping by and commenting. This is a guitar that I am exceptionally pleased with and it's nice to be able to share it with you like-minded folks.

I don't generally step above American Professional/American Standard when it comes to Teles and Strats, and a lot of my Teles have an MIM body, and/or neck. I have found American Professional/Standard and higher-end MIM to offer exceptionally great quality in guitars.

With the Britt Daniel Thinline, I decided to "up the ante" a bit for a body and a neck that are kind of special, a bit apart from the standard - and so glad that I did.

That said, this '69 Thinline mahogany (below) with Squier body and Fender Baja '60s neck is right there, neck and neck, for my enjoyment, along with the "special" Britt Daniel custom that I put together.

And it was a lot less expensive. Pickups are Twang King at the neck and True Velvet at the bridge. I think I'm into this one for a total of around $700: (Stripped-down body and neck came separately, from Stratosphere.)

[​IMG]

You don't have to spend a pot-full-o'-money to have a great playing and great sounding Tele Thinline! And I sure am loving Thinlines these days! They sound and play awesome (as a Tele should!) and the light weight is a pleasure.

I have no affiliation with Stratosphere, whatsoever, but must say that their offerings have brought me great joy in being able to put together my own "custom" Fender guitars.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    teletimetx, Southpole and WingedWords like this.
  14. Martian

Martian TDPRI Member

Not sure why but I love that photo.

DHart likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Martian... are you an RVer, perchance? The setting for that shot was in our motorhome, front passenger seat turned around.

16. csapo

csapo Tele-Afflicted

Thank you very much. That part of Clay St. is beautiful. But much of the luster has worn off of San Francisco, unfortunately. Very sad situation here. So much so that after being here for 20+ years, we are thinking very seriously of leaving.

What am I doing?!?!?! This is a Telecaster forum, so back to it. Once again, great creation!

DHart likes this.
  17. squeally dan

squeally dan TDPRI Member

Wow. Looks great

DHart likes this.
  18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love it because it is an awesome photo and i am the world's worst guitar photographer!

DHart likes this.
  19. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Where did you find an 880k pot? Or was it an out of spec 1000k pot?

20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Out of spec - which nearly every pot is. Pots are quite commonly of lower resistance than they are labeled to be, by 10, 15, even 20% in some cases.

Buy a number of 1M pots, measure each of them, label each by actual resistance, and choose from among them by the specific need, based on the inherent tone of the guitar and the pickups being used.

This may be too much trouble for some people to go through, but I've found that it is an excellent way to really fine-tune the tone of each of your guitars - evaluate the tone of your guitar, determine if you might want it to be brighter or darker, measure the existing pots and replace them as appropriate. This is a lot less costly than replacing pickups, though that might just be the answer to achieving the tone you are seeking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.