I had no idea they made a Jazz Chorus stack

Masmus

Tele-Holic

This showed up in my local CL a while ago and still for sale. Doesn't seem to be moving so maybe priced too high? I've never actually seen one as a stack before.

superjam144

Tele-Afflicted
Been seeing the JC's on YouTube alot. They sound amazing. Leave it to Roland.

I have a list of Amps I'd get if I was wealthy. I'd get a bandit, jc, bc artist, Princeton, deluxe reverb, hrd, blues deluxe, supersonic, cyber twin, delta blues etc....

So many amazing amps available.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
I had a JC77 that I'd run in tandem with a MESA Boogie MkI - the two filled in each of the other's holes and the sound was absolutely massive, from such a small rig. And that JC chorus is unmatched.

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Man, Aptos might be worth the drive! As I recall, part of the magic of the JCs is that the chorus only goes to one speaker and the other has the dry signal, so I wonder how they manage that with the stack and head -- two outputs from the head and two inputs into the stack?

Jimmy Dean

Friend of Leo's
I had the JC120 head in the mid-80's, but not the stack. I used a couple single 15" cabs that I built. Also doubled as a bass amp. I had no complaints about the way it sounded.

Masmus

Tele-Holic
Man, Aptos might be worth the drive! As I recall, part of the magic of the JCs is that the chorus only goes to one speaker and the other has the dry signal, so I wonder how they manage that with the stack and head -- two outputs from the head and two inputs into the stack?
Yes

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Found another one on Reverb where you can see the back panel of the head. Looks like it had separate outputs for each side of the stereo power amp.

Axis29

Poster Extraordinaire
Found another one on Reverb where you can see the back panel of the head. Looks like it had separate outputs for each side of the stereo power amp.

Hmm, that one's less than an hour's drive from me... Too bad I'm not playing the Hollywood Bowl any time soon.

I cannot, honestly, imagine needing that much clean....

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Hmm, that one's less than an hour's drive from me... Too bad I'm not playing the Hollywood Bowl any time soon.

I cannot, honestly, imagine needing that much clean....

Seriously!

When I was studying music in college, the jazz department had a beat-up old JC-120, and I liked it so much I bought one myself. If you're playing an archtop with humbuckers at an outdoor festival with big band horns, a loud drummer, latin percussion section and maybe an electric piano and you need it to stay really clean, these are tough to beat.

After a while I missed the character of old tube amps, sold the JC-120 and never looked back. The party-trick stereo chorus sounded so cool in person, but it's hard for me to imagine a practical use for that sound now. The vibrato is a true pitch-modulating vibrato and can get pretty wild.

It looks like they also made a 4x10 version. Hard to imagine someone actually paying $1500-1800 for one of these, but who knows?

Attachments

• snsc97huzmumuwlxfnar.jpg
    snsc97huzmumuwlxfnar.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 12

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I had a JC77 that I'd run in tandem with a MESA Boogie MkI - the two filled in each of the other's holes and the sound was absolutely massive, from such a small rig. And that JC chorus is unmatched.t
When we were doing club gigs and especially really packed up dancy, drinky, “volume forward” packed, basically ‘’fill the club with the equipment you brought, if it’s too small will slap a mic in front of it but straight amp preferred’’ We’d usually do it with black face Pro, SR, or Vibrolux, and we started bringing in, the other guitarist a SS Deluxe, and I a SS Princeton to go along with them and also a little stereo separation, and fill out the sound when it got really jumping. It was his idea and it turned out great it’s really filled out a lot more, especially when I upped the speaker in my Princeton. It had a 12 but it was lower powered and I think it was about a 75 watt or so speaker that came out of my fender super 60 that I that I traded it out for and it really came alive.

I would do that same gig with a couple guys that both brought in solid state, I think they’re a popular Boss amp, w effects in both a 1x12” and 2x12” 50 & 100 watts configuration. maybe about 10 years ago?
I would have to watch my volume all through the night playing just my one tube amp. Of course it’s more work with three guitarists, basically one singer/rhythm and 2 rhythm/lead players, but just a 40 W tube Fender against 100 W solid-state, seemed to fill out the room more. I do remember one guy bringing in one of those early Johnson amps and that was a Terror! It was loud as hell! I think it may have been 150 or possibly 30Ow. It was no problem for me as I also had metal panel super bass and a 73 super lead, But for the club and even his loud amp, I could usually just bring in my 1987X JTM 45 & 2x12” Green/black back open back. Them tube ones is definitely louder than ’em solid state’uns… but both of them together I agree really fill out nicely. And it’s no question that for most of the time when you start running out of headroom the tube ones usually sound better. I am no purist and happily bring solid-state amps to gigs whenever they will do the job… I guess that’s becoming more past tense as I’m getting older now, but I did get called for a couple gigs right after ‘The last/lost couple years’ but my equipment wasn’t up and ready for one and the gig got canceled the second time.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
Craigslist is blocked for me, but if someone writes "incredibly rare", it's understood to be overpriced and the seller to be a *****.

I've actually seen a couple of JC-120 stacks with the 4x12". I don't think I've seen that 4x10" combo though.