I had a woman insist Tommy Emmanuel was the greatest acoustic guitarist in the world...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like James Taylor, Tommy Emanuelle, Molly Tuttle, etc. They all embarrass my playing ability and I don’t know or care who is best. I think they all have great skills.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

don't make this about you.

drf64 and Jupiter like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

okay, so this is fun... when people tell me things that are multiple standard deviations from the norm, the first thing I don't do is try to reason with them.

4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

"Greatest " is of course subjective, but I've seen him twice, and I cant think of anyone better.

richiek65 likes this.
  5. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

That is the best face off I’ve heard! I have tons of respect for whomever rooted for Barre. I haven’t listened to Johnson much but I do love some Jethro Tull. It would never occur to me to claim him the best ever but he might be.

Rowdyman and brookdalebill like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was rooting for my hometown hero, EJ.
    My friend Danny was the Tull devotee.
    When I was a teenager, a lot of my friends got into prog and art rock.
    Not me, so much.
    I was more into virtuosic soloists at the time, but not from the Van Halen-esque tapping school.
    Anyways, I am really just grateful for all the inspiring players of my youth.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    richiek65, 4pickupguy and Ex-riverman like this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The best is subjective. That depends on your tastes.
    I have a maestro friend who was payed by the Australian Govt. to learn in Spain and Italy- they even paid for his wife and son to live with him.
    Tommy and Phil ( deceased) played electric Matons then old cheap beat up Telecasters, all his Dad could afford, hardly ever went to school. The NSW Education Dept. had to track 'em down as schooling is compulsory.
    Smokin' Joe Robinson used to get up at 4:00 a.m. to practise before going to school.
    Naturally we, as Ausssies, are proud of them. But who is the best- the one YOU think is.
    I think Ry Cooder, who started playing at age 3, is somewhat of a genius,
    and a multi instrumentalist and musicologist.
    Tommy is a very nice man to meet after his shows and prefers smaller theatres and audiences.
    He is seen a some kind of demi-god in Singapore.

richiek65 likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Sooo, I'm thinkin' this babe didn't follow you home. Am I right?;)

9. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I find discussions like these rather boring at best and annyoing at worst.
    Emmanuel is a great guitarplayer.
    So is.....Andy Summers, although he probably won't be able to play a Tommy Emmanuel tune.
    But vice versa I'm pretty sure that Police would have kind of....sucked big time, when Tommy Emmanuel had been accompanying Sting and Copeland.
    I also can't see Emmanuel riffing Black Dog along with Plant, Jones & Bonham.
    I admire Bonnie Raitt, but I just do not see her playing Bohemian Rhapsody.......and the list goes on and on.
    It's nice to put your heart into music, but when it turns from fan to fanatic, it's time to get a life.

richiek65 likes this.
  10. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Yes i agree music is all about taste, and i suppose the more different types of music and players one listens to one can learn to like more styles of playing as well.

But variety is the spice of life they say, i would never knock anybody for what they like though because everyone thinks a little differently i suppose and in a way that is nice.

11. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Tommy E. certainly resides way up there on the top shelf right along with "the greats".

12. YellowBullet

YellowBullet Tele-Meister

There isn´t such thing as best player. There are so many stunning players playing different genres and styles, so in my opinion it´s impossible to choose only one best guitar player. And also there´s no point for doing so. How do you define best? then How do you justify your definition from all the other definitons....no point.

And i also want to point out that humans have stupid habit valueing things. Ok, it´s good way for learning and kicking your own ass to become better, but that´s it pretty much.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, were we ever that young? The arguments over the most subjective of topics. Our emotions overtake logic and reason gives way to “being right” and before know it irreparable damage has been done to a freindship ...aah who am I kidding, OF COURSE IT WAS ERIC JOHNSON!!!

In highschool we would have knock down drag outs about who was better The Beatles or Kiss...(>_<)

Mosstone and brookdalebill like this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It's all subjective, to a point - Tommy Emmanual IS better than Kurt Cobain or Neil Young, for example. That's not subjective; that's obvious. But once you start comparing guitarists of similar capability, it becomes more and more about personal opinion and little about actual technical abilities.

Sounds Good likes this.
  15. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Gatemouth Brown! or maybe it was Fenton Robinson,,, or perhaps Jeff Beck,,, or Danny Gatton,, or ,or, or, ,,,,,,,,

16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought this guy was the greatest guitarist in the world.

ASATKat likes this.
  17. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could really mess with her and tell her "lil wayne" is better...

PlainAllman and brookdalebill like this.
  18. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I imagine that Emanuel is a "no games" what you see is what you get kind of guy.

What I see is a guy that absolutely loves playing music on his guitar. I absolutely love his honesty. It allows him to put ego aside. He plays with cats that may be better than him in certain areas of music, like Martin Taylor, and Tom just looks like he's having the time of his life. No one in that room enjoys Taylor tearing it up more than Tommy.

This is wonderful,

richiek65 likes this.
  19. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

How I reply to someone claiming XYZ is the best guitar player is to say “I agree XYZ is the best at playing his own music”. Nobody else can play Tommy like Tommy right? Just like nobody else can play Stevie, or Duane or Jimi like they played themselves.

ASATKat and richiek65 like this.
  20. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I remember back in the days of my youth when I used to work as the manager of a Borders bookstore. I had a young bookseller working for me who, any time the discussion turned toward music and specifically guitarists, would insist with vehemence that David Gilmour was the greatest guitar player on earth, and no other player before or since could touch him.

Now, I am a fan of Pink Floyd, and I do appreciate Gilmour's playing quite a bit. But "the best"? That one was quite hard to swallow, and I told him so. He was visibly irritated when I gave my now-standard spiel about how music is subjective, it's impossible to quantify "the best" music, what sounds good to one man sounds bad to the next, there's no accounting for taste, etc. He was completely unmoved.

The false concept of "the best" guitarist has only accelerated due to the internet and listicles. I also blame Rolling Stone magazine. You still read articles like "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" which encourages impressionable people to join in the fun and to think that such rankings mean anything beyond personal or mass preferences.

It's better to just let people enjoy the music they enjoy. You can't get a certain segment of the public to broaden their taste against their will. Their definition of "good music" is what they grew up listening to or what their culture conditions them to prefer. In a sense, it's true of all of us. I'd like to think, though, that it's true to a much lesser extent when it comes to my listening habits.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.