I had a stent installed in my heart Friday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Sep 11, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

pm'd

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Best of luck in your recovery, @teleman1 !

I am in the same boat as you, recently - had an MI on 8/24 and had an emergent stent placement that night (after a flight-for-life ride to the cardiac center) ... have to go back on the 27th of this month to fix 2 more lesions

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

As a fellow BadDoger, I wish you well, and hope for both a speedy, and complete recovery.

teleman1 likes this.
  4. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Hang in there and keep a watch on things. I had a quadruple bypass in December 2014 after it was found that I was 90% blocked. My energy level increased by 90% after the heart operation. Before surgery I failed the Nuclear Stress Test (NST) big time requiring the doctor to give me nitroglycerin to recover from nearly passing out. A couple months ago I had my four year post surgery follow up NST and passed with flying colors:).

The only downside is stents and bypasses do not last forever. I'm looking at the possibility of having to get new bypasses when I am around 87 or maybe sooner.

Take your medication and watch what you eat and say as active as you can.

Milspec likes this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Man o man;likewise for your recovery.

IronSchef likes this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

So many times I hear of people who begin to feel markedly better immediately after receiving a stent.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Crap. I'm glad you have a team. Very sorry that you need one.

Nickadermis likes this.
  8. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Glad to hear that you caught it before it was too late. I'm sure your loved ones are, too.

I'd like to know if you have any ideas on what may have caused it, such as diet or lifestyle factors....anything you'd do, or will do differently? Less bacon?

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

* years ago, I got an odd blessing; I acquired Type 11 Diabetes. I have overcome it mostly by diet, staying away from sugar and excessive carbs. I walk and do light workout. I stopped Cafine and drink predominately water an 1 cup of decaf a day. I think most of this blockage came prior to my Diabetes diagnosis. I have had the feet swelling issue for up to two years, but it came on heavy in the last 6 months. I do have high cholesterol and I take Pravastatin I just had 4 pieces off bacon for breakfast, but I don't do that a lot. I concentrate on keeping sugar out of my body and recognizing where it is in foods. As far as doing things differently, I like the chart posted in this thread and will take on some of its criteria. PS,I take no drugs for Diabetes. My last A!C was 6 and I,ve been as low as 5.8 and high as 6.4.

Nickadermis likes this.
  10. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Prayers for your Speedy Recovery Brother!!

11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Glad they caught it and it went well, Teleman1. . A not very funny thing about heart attacks is that they can happen to anybody, even those who have no family history, bad habits, excess weight etc.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

13. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

FYI...nevermind.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  14. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Not only do they feel better they look better right when they come out of the Cath procedure!

15. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Glad you are on the road to a healthier you. Follow the rules and yes, do check out all the info in reducing your swelling. And just for the record there are about 8 different protocols for treadmill stress tests and different hospitals use different ones per the physicians. The most common is Bruce which I have programmed in 8 Tiers for that protocol at our hospital.

Glad you got the plumbing fixed. :D

16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

My Granddad had heart surgery in the early sixties when it was as much experimental. He didn’t make it. They learned a lot because of heart patients like him and that’s why they are so much more successful today.

Milspec likes this.
  17. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I've known a number of people who've had stents with really great results. Glad to hear that things went well for you. It's pretty amazing what they can do now. I joke (having a medical issue history) that you have to have a heart and double lung transplant to get an overnight stay in the hospital anymore! :lol: Take care, and let us know how things are going!

Nickadermis and teleman1 like this.
  18. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

This is fantastic and very true advice. When I had my gall bladder removed, it was on a Friday and I hate hospitals so much that I demanded to be allowed to go home Saturday morning. They told me that I could not be released until Monday, but I persisted. Eventually, I was seen by the doctor that was covering the floor over the weekend. He asked me about pain levels and eventually authorized my release. It wasn't until I was home that I looked at his signature...."Watson, D.D.S" Not kidding, a DDS released me after a weekend surgery.

teleman1 likes this.
  19. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

@teleman1 , Best for a quick recovery!
    And to all the rest that have posted of having this procedure.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm glad it went well!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.