I had a stent installed in my heart Friday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, Sep 11, 2019 at 1:00 AM.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I have had many personal things I could share here and it is just not me to talk too personal. But I am 64 and the past year my feet started to swell up, ankles too and it was getting progressively worse. Talk to my Doc and he first sends me to a Cardio man. Well, he ordered the treadmill stress test. I have a resting heart rate around 60. Decent shape but I do not run and I am in light aerobic shape and I have hardly any body fat. There are 4 tiers to treadmill Most people reach there target heart rate for the test by the 2nd to third tier. Each tier they speed it up. SO now I am the 4th tier, not up to above 150+ yet, and now I am getting shin splints. Luckily I got to 157 and they had me jump on the table. It showed I had an anomaly and heart flow was not what it was supposed to be. Hence, Catheritization/stent procedure. 40 years ago, this was a chest cracking affair. But now, they put a pic in my wrist, and put their search light up my arm and into my heart. I was awake the whole time. During the procedure, they said I had 80% blockage. All was successful. As I left the hospital I asked my Cardiologist if my feet would stop swelling, He said no, that pretty much vascular. WELL, they went down that day and I am seeing my regular feet for the first time in months. If anyone has any question, feel free to ask. It all looked and felt SPACEAGE. Also made me wonder, how far off the Startrek episode where Piccard is PO'd cause he need to talk a couple of days off for a heart transplant

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Always been curious if you have an energy improvement and is it significant? An 80% sounds like it would hold back a lot of blood flow, so having it opened up would seem like it should make you feel a decade younger.

I always find the research on this issue quite interesting and you are a classic example of why. They found an 80% blockage and yet you were more fit than probably 85-90% of the people they put through that stress test, so you body must have been compensating. Glad to hear it went so well, one never knows if they are going to have a problem like that as you can't tell from the outside. There are just so many things that are hereditary (heart illness, blood psi, etc.) that it reminds me of what my high school track coach told me my freshman year. He took me aside after I fell on my face in the hurdles and he said the secret to being a great runner was to pick your parents. So much of our future health is dictated by our parents...just too bad we can't pick them.

JayFreddy and teleman1 like this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Glad it went well and was caught before it did lasting/serious damage.

Best wishes for this fixing the problem for many, many years to come.

Skydog1010, JayFreddy and teleman1 like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Glad you caught it in time and procedure was successful. Stay healthy. I just had my follow up biopsy on my prostate and am waiting for results in about a week.

5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

So glad that it worked out well ! Put it to good use and enjoy yourself :)

teleman1 likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Interesting that they do not put a Stent in until you have at least 75% blockage. THe body does some over compensation to other artistes for blood flow. I want to talk to the cardiologist and ask why he said the swelling wouldn't go down cause of this and it has done exactly that. I am not 100% yet. I had no driving for 3 days and I now take blood thinner for awhile. My heart feels slightly bruised and the feeling is normal. They balloon the artery and install the stent. Feels slightly/lightly bruised.

Fretting out, Milspec and JayFreddy like this.
  7. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I always say, if there was something there already, you wouldn't be waiting a week. Hang in there.

8. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

One big lesson I learned. DO NOT HAVE MEDIAL PROCEDURE ON FRIDAY!. Everything seems more comfortable knowing where you doctor might be, instead of wondering how easy they might be paged for questions. You usually have questions and more questions

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, I'd be curious about that, too.

Sounds like he assumed vascular insufficiency was the cause of edema in the lower legs and feet... but it usually comes on gradually, as more and more tiny valves fail. And once they do, they never repair, so it's a one way thing. If it comes on suddenly, and/or goes away again, it wasn't vascular insufficiency.

That leaves the question, what was it? Cardio is usually the first thing they check, because edema is a sign of congestive heart failure. So they do heart and lung scans, places where fluid will gather. Seems like the cardio guy would have already ruled that out first.

So, it could be kidney function... A simple basic metabolic panel blood test will show any decline in kidney function, and then you could see a nephrologist to pursue if necessary.

That's where I'm at, currently. Ruled out all the other, and waiting to see the kidney doc.

10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

They did a couple of related panels on me and I am pretty sure they did kidney stuff. I got scopes up the you know what a couple years ago, I am good, but had a big stone that they advise to leave. I bring up you note with my Doc. Thank you.

11. bangcaster

bangcaster Tele-Meister

I had mine done on Saturday. I was with my personal trainer doing pushups when I started feeling weird. About an hour later I realized soemthing was very wrong. A friend brought me to the hospital and before I could even get out my medicare card (I'm 68) they admitted me. An hour and a half later, my stent was in. I had 95% blockage. By Monday I was home. The prognosis is excellent, but it still scared the hell out of me. Stay strong it will be OK.

Skydog1010 and orangeblossom like this.
  12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I had my Whipple surgery on Dec 22nd. Doc said everyone would be extra careful because the didn’t want to get called back in on Christmas :)

I hope they get you sorted out safely soon Moosie ! The constant mental strain takes a toll. I am being introduced to my Palliative Care team tomorrow, it wasn’t a surprise but it still smacked me in the face o_O

. Get out there and soak up this new lease on life ! Every little bit is precious :)

teleman1, william tele and DrPepper like this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It's great that you got diagnosis and treatment.
    A good friend of mine, who eats healthy and exercises regularly, came over to my house in early July and asked if I would take him to the ER. He's one of the last guys I could think of who would have a blockage. Had classic "elephant sitting on his chest" symptoms.
    Long story short, too much blockage for angioplasty/stent, so a bypass (CABG). Home in less than a week.
    They've been doing bypasses since the 60s. When I first went to work in healthcare, a CABG was likely a two week hospital stay and now you're out in 5 days or less without complications.
    Never ignore chest pains, even if you think it's GERD or indigestion.

teleman1 and DrPepper like this.
  14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

+ 1,000,000.000

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    teleman1 likes this.
  15. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Be SURE to take your plavix/clopidogrel religiously!

teleman1 likes this.
  16. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Research homocysteine. And, Dr McDougall & Dr Essylstyn.

reverseclogarteriesinfographics-min.jpg

17. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I have two, since 2006, no problems since.

teleman1 likes this.
  18. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got one at age 52. Went in for atrial fib and discovered had 90% blockage of the "widowmaker" Got the stent and my ejection fraction was in the upper 20's...10 years later improved to near normal. Love my cardiologist!

Good luck with your recovery, tele!

teleman1 likes this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Thank you

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Glad to hear you got it taken care of!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.