I had a crazy idea the other day..

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by el cheapo, Aug 27, 2014.

1. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I had a crazy idea the other day. Why not play my little Martin acoustic through a Bandit? I have an old Peavey KB1 that sounds good,
    but I was interested in how the Martin would sound with a little reverb. So, I hooked her up to my 50 watt Bandit.

[​IMG]

I plugged into the low gain channel and after a little tweaking it sounds pretty darned good! Reverb seems to work well with fingerpicking or strumming. A little chorus sounds really good with fingerpicking.

Anybody tried compression or delay with an acoustic?

2. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

I don't know...
    pretty crazy.:cool:
    If it sounds good to you, very cool. It can be hard to find a good amp for accoustic.

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Go for it

4. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I probably should have mentioned, I'm using a K&K pure mini pickup and a Behringer ADI 21. I also have an LR Baggs Para DI, but I tried the Behringer first and it sounded really good. Who knew?

5. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Yeah, why not. I've done it with different SS amps over the years. Although I do use magnetic soundhole pickups.

6. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I'm very happy with the sounds of my acoustics (including a couple of "little Martins"-- 0-18 and 0-15) through my Peavey Backstage 50. Like Bongocaster, I'm a magnetic sound hole pickup user.

7. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

It definitely sounds good enough in a band setting. For solo acoustic you might want better.

8. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Are you sure that amp's not 65 watts?.......JH in Va.

9. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Yep.

10. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Some people obsess that an amplified signal should sound "exactly like my guitar!"

Well, okay, it can sound like whatever you want .... Having just sold a Bandit 65, I won't believe the Bandit sounds exactly like your guitar. But if you like it, that's cool. The Dobro was only ever supposed to sound louder - we love the unique resophonic sound now.

I always prefer light compression on acoustic and some delay makes it sound bigger. A KB1 is a great tool to have around; I just sold a KB60 - but with an eye towards getting a newer one. They're like powered speakers with an optional pre-amp stage.

Greg

11. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I took a little time tweaking the ADI 21 and the amp, and I have to say it sounds pretty good to me. I'm using the low gain input, and the volume setting has to be right for it to get the string dynamics (especially when strumming chords). That seems to be the acid test.

A couple of you guys have recommended some light compression and I'll probably give that a try. Should I put the compressor before the ADI 21 or after?

12. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I guess I would do before - but I can imagine good reasons to do after as well. My Baggs DI actually has an effects loop in it - suggesting to me a compressor can go after EQ.

Greg

13. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I put the EQ in front of the compressor and gave it a go. A little compression does indeed sound good with the acoustic! It sure is nice to get advice from all you guys. Thanks!

I was also able to get a very good sound with my favorite pick. It's a little stiff, and was making kind of a scraping noise when I strummed. I dialed back the attack a little and now it sounds more natural. I'm actually a little surprised by how good this setup sounds. :eek:

14. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

I thought that was a keyboard amp but now I realise it is a guitar amp so I've just edited out my last comment!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.