i guess this counts .. My Tele/LP Special Hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by CustomWerx, Mar 15, 2014.

1. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

first, a little back-story..i was asked by a friend to build them a guitar... i have never done it before, but my carpentry skills are above-average, and it sounded like a lot of fun. i have spent untold thousands of dollars watching him play in Bars and Juke Joints all over Arkansas, and i thought it'd be cool to see him play something i built.

he said that he wanted a hybrid of a LP Special and a Tele.. bigger, fat body, but Tele DNA..

to make things more interesting, he also said he had always wanted a Tele with a P90 in the bridge, and Mini HB in the neck position.. the first pic is what i came up with as a general idea for his approval.. i apologize for the crude drawing, it was done with an ink pen and a 12" ruler, on posterboard.. i'm going to cut a custom pickguard, with styling cues that will hopefully evoke the spirit of both guitars..the shaded area between the p90 and the bridge was an optional design, but we both decided that without it, it was was more Tele, less Dane..

the back side is pretty much all Les Paul, with the neck end of the body an amalgamation of both. i have since reworked the neck end some, as shown in the 2nd picture, to get a little more wood under the neck..

a Caveat.. the dimensions and the location of the pickups and bridge are rough estimates on this original drawing.. i have a LPJR, LP and Strat at home, but i was using some of the great CAD drawings found here to place them in their approximate locations..

third pic shows the poster board attached to some .5" MDF, and cut to shape.

more pics to come!!

Attached Files:

2. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

further progress..

even though they don't photograph well, i transferred the body shape onto .25" lexan, and onto .5" MDF again, with the help of my trusty router table.. so now i have my original template, and 3 more.. i will use the Lexan panels as a base for my routing jigs for the pickups, and a built-up version of the second MDF one for the neck pocket.. i am doing a Tele neck with heel truss adjustment, for anyone interested..

the first pic shows the nice chunk of Poplar i got a great deal on, as it has some bug holes and a couple of banged-up edges that moved it into the "seconds" pile.. i wasn't concerned with these minor issues, as the guitar will be painted anyway..i was SOOOO ready to cut the body out, but cooler heads prevailed..

i needed to get it planed down to 1.75" to get it down to more Tele-like dimensions, which is where the fight started... apparently, very few millwork shops in NWA have a planer that can do 14"-wide stock...

i finally found one that did, and took it over to them to get it knocked out.. i was disappointed when they told me my wood was too SHORT (am i right, guys? devastated...) the feed rollers would not be able to grab it to pull it through, or something of that ilk... which brings us to pic #2..

i decided , perhaps as an homage to Richard Dean Anderson (where my 80's kids at?), i would MacGuyver this thing.. the piece of .75" MDF is wider than my stock, with a slot cut in it.. i drew an oversized version of the body on what will be the back of the poplar stock, and using my trusty router, was able to shaved it down 1/8" at a time, in two passes to get it from the original 2" thickness to the needed 1.75"

you'll notice that i didn't cut the whole board down.. reason being, i needed the outer ring to keep my piece of MDF set at the original height.. also, since the REAL outline of the shape will be drawn on the other side, i needed the piece to be able to ride level on the bandsaw.. since it is oversized, when i cut the outline out, from the front, the outer oversized (2"-thick) area will fall off..

that is all i have for now, but more to follow in the next few days.. i am making templates like crazy, to flush-mount the neck plate, the oval Gibson-style jack plate etc...the only piece on the body that won't be flsh-mounted will be the Tele control plate..Two reasons.. one, the pickguard would have to be flushed as well, to keep it on the level of the plate, and two, if i countersunk the plate, it would leave about 1/16" of wood left in the control cavity between the 3-way switch and my buddy's bony hip...

Attached Files:

3. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Nice project, and nice improv. This looks very interesting!

4. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Thanks. Necessity is the mother of inventtion, right? On the first pass i used an older .75" cutout bit, then used a brand new, sharp 1/2" on the second. Probably took 20 minutes?

5. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Looks a nice design and a good start!

6. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Well.. im waiting on the first shipment of hard parts.. which has this whole thing in a holding pattern, so i ordered pickguard material, pots, knobs, control plate, tuners and a bunch of other parts tonight in the interest of feeling like i was making SOME progress...

7. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

What's up with the procrastination? Just knock out a swift neck or two whilst you're waiting...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  8. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, the only wood i have in abundance is MDF.. Not exactly known for great tone..

9. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

Touché! Haha

10. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

Nice project, but I'm not sure where the "real Tele DNA" comes in with a P90 in the bridge and a mini bucker in the neck position, not to mention the body shape being non-Tele. Good improvisation on getting the thickness down.

11. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Well , the tele part comes from the tele neck, bridge, controls, electronics and layout proportions. Basically, (since he plays 2 teles at shows) he'll be able to grab the selector switch, knobs from muscle memory, as they'll be in a standard Tele location. We originally talked about a tele with those pickups, but then decided to add some more size to the body. He said it looked like a tele with a glandular disorder...

12. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

well... neck, pickups and bridge arrived today :) but i am 5 hours away until thursday :( and i have a 1955 mercedes to finish before i can play around with guitar stuff :( :(

13. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

I know this seems like an old thread, but i made some progress yesterday.. shaped the headstock, routed the neck pocket, and got the body cut out!!

Attached Files:

14. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Had a productive morning with the router.. pickup cavity, control cavity DONE!

Also roughed in a belly contour..

Attached Files:

15. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

And i also started on what will eventually be the template for the pickguard. Kinda shows more of the hybrid Tele/LP dna..

Attached Files:

16. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Also got the pickguard template opened up for the control plate..

Thanks to GuitarBuilder, ill be able to mock up the MHB for the neck position and hopefully get my PG finished by the weekend!!

Attached Files:

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks really cool. I made two "TelePauls" myself and I see that we got the same idea about the pickguard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

I for one wouldn't feel it was out of place to post some pics of that too here! The shape came out really nice and the routing looks great.

Personally I'm working on a Lincoln Futura,,,
    20140327_073927.jpg

19. CustomWerx

CustomWerx Tele-Meister

Quick pic, for ME262 (is that a messerschmidt reference?)

Attached Files:

20. ME262

ME262 Tele-Holic

WOW!!!! That is one cool car! Yes, ME262 is a jet fighter, but more importantly a Blue Öyster Cult song.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.