I guess they just don't make em like they used to...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Nickfl, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

:lol: Thats like if I complained about a broken window at my house and you suggested moving into this:

old-fake-facade-on-white-260nw-50363353.jpg

I know everyone's excited about those things right now, but even if they are as good as some say, there is zero appeal there for me.

muchxs and ReverendRevolver like this.
  2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I built an amplifier based around a 6f1p, a 6n1p and a 6n6p that used the Soviet sockets too. The main thing is it sounds utterly glorious, though a part of that may be personal confirmation bias of course. I got a feeling of 'quality' coming from the componentry. It's hard to quantify, but like a well made spanner feels better in the hand than a knock-off that is visually close, that's it. I'm part way through building a Soviet Special stereo amp, a low wattage 'Sci-Fi' looking thing that is using Soviet valves and bases. The main 832 valve and base are joys to behold. I've seen lesser quality on shop bought ceramic dinner plates than that socket. The glaze is perfect. The Heptal sockets for the 6Zh1p-EV drivers are good and the valves themselves display an interesting characteristic. The envelope has ridges! When it comes to strengthening the envelope, that's a simple, effective way to go about things. Little touches like those make me happy.

https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=955

My current living room music amp runs 6c4p-EV rectifiers, a 6n2p-EV driver and a pair of 6f1p-EV and it's a wonderful, tuneful little spud of an amp.

You can buy adaptors to use a 6n2p in a 12AX7 socket ( and the other way round ) from Ebay.

Components from that era -had- to work, and had to keep working. They feel well made, they work.

Euphonica and Nickfl like this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a couple new ones that lost vacuum..and got the white out.
    Ya, they do not build them durable anymore
    like they had to for old military applications..
    Glass was as thick as my car window and
    rods were made of heavy gauge iron.

4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Im pretty sure all the horse and buggy drivers were acting the same way when the automobile was introduced. Basically they felt threatened and had to defend their way of live because if the horse and buggy went obsolete (which it did) they'd have no way to make a living.

5. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

What's the deal with these new Wathen tubes from Texas? Their 12ax7's run around $100 each.

I stumbled across these after looking for something new comparable to the old tubes. The current 12ax7s (JJ, Tung Sol, Sovtek, etc) get the job done but just don't really have that special something.

6. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

That Wathen 12AX7 is a rebranded Shuguang. It may have been thoroughly tested, and cryo treated (whatever advantage that brings is another debate)...... but that's one hell of a mark up.

I'm not saying those Shuguang are bad, just that other testing rebranders seemingly offer better value for the same valve. $94 / tested Chinese valve is f$#@@%^ng steep!!!

7. Euphonica

Euphonica Tele-Meister

Dude, thanks for the tip!
    EDIT: Sold out of 6L6GCs!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Shuguang produce a range of valves. The basic ones, which the Wathen resemble, are rebranded by many companies and range from cheap and cheerless ( my entire experience with Bugera branded valves ) through just about acceptable ( Shuguang branded, Marshall branded, TubeTown branded, unbranded ) to not bad, but a little variable ( Ruby ). One big surprise has been the Shuguang branded valves in my Jet City. They ain't half bad in that amp!. They're as little as £7.50 ( $8.00 ) including postage on Ebay. £7.50 including shipping from China for a working, if not spectacular valve. They will rebrand for pennies if the valves are purchased by the hundred.

Shuguang also produce the Psvane range. These are finding favour among Hi-Fi fans. People with systems that cost as much as a decent used car are finding the upper end of the Shuguang 12AX7 line to be more than acceptable. All the Psvane range are garnering praise. Then there's the Treasure Audio line. They -do- make them like they used to, and for music reproduction, they may be worth it. For a gnarly amplifier though, probably not.

As to cryo treating, I remain highly skeptical about the process ( when applied to a valve ), the benefits, and the long term effects of the heater on any cryo treatment applied to a valve.

9. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Damn, thanks for the insight. I’m less dismissive of “made in China” these days since they’ve really improved their technology and skilled labor. Especially with the guitar and audio industry.

It’s one thing if they’re using the same raw materials, machines, and process that GE used in the 50’s to manufacture tubes. But if these are just ordinary run-of-the-mill shuguangs, marked up - then that’s just crazy.

10. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

hell yeah russian military grade 6l6 tubes for 5-16 dollars a piece sign me up

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Happened to me only once, but it was an EH. I wouldn't blame it on the manufacturer, it happened after I dropped it.

I haven't had that problem with JJs, and it could be the Florida weather. I read on a forum that someone had plastic knobs a few years old decompose.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.