1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I guess I am done with umgf.com (martin forum)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Apr 15, 2021.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Can't log in and don't want to learn how. Oh well...

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

The Rickenbacker forum was boring and full of old kinda mean people back in the day. It's pretty well dead now I think. Definitely never had the vibe this place has.

RomanS and Cadillac_Mike like this.
  3. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Some really knowledgeable folks at umgf. I’ve learned a ton over there over the years. OTOH some crabby curmudgeons too. I hope they are able to keep it going.

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Yea they did some weird thing with Tapatalk and it takes two log ins to get logged in!

I think you have to have a Tapatalk account to log on and maybe your original UMGF log in.

Note to TDPRI admins: DON'T ever migrate to Tapatalk! UMGF has taking a substantial hit from this and many drifted away over frutration.

younkint, DHart, CCK1 and 4 others like this.
  5. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

No issues here. Just logged in, logged out, logged back in. Tapatalk only. Local login was discontinued early last year. NBD.

And keep in mind, that's even more of an old farts forum than this one. If they can do it, you can, too!

Cam and aadvark like this.
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Them old farts is smarter than this one... :)

P Thought likes this.
  7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

One of the mean people was John Hall himself.

bricksnbeatles and RomanS like this.
  8. Steve Holt

I loved and hated reading his posts. Mixed bag. He would offer a lot of really cool info that obviously no one else in the world knows, but then someone would chime in about the finish on their guitar getting soft or sticky and he would try to pass all the blame off onto that person and the environment they kept the guitar in. Going so far as to say if you keep chemicals in your house (kitchen bathroom etc) then it's your problem. But there were people there that were like yeah I've got 26 rics and the finish is only going bad on 2 of them.

davidchagrin, RomanS and jfgesquire like this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Agree. It changed, then changed, some pass-thru tapa-talka-blah blah something another. Short password expirations, odd posting and media management. The tax outweighed the benefit, even though the benefit was great. I ditch time-waster activities, or sneakypants associations, with so many other great things to do with my time.

I can do a lot of things, like mow the yard with a pair if scissors. Like I said, I ditch time-waster activities, like having an account to have an account, to suffer thru clicks and screens, and layers, weekly maintenance, and ....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    DrPepper and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  10. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

+1. I think years of running a company and spending too much time interfacing with customers made him a little grumpy. I imagine he's much happier being retired. His son Ben seems cool and more open to new ideas. :)

Steve Holt likes this.
  11. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Nailed it.

I sent a Ric back to the factory under warranty YEARS ago. The warranty work invoice said "milled down bridge plate to improve playability"! The neck was set from the factory at a REALLY forward angle. I was a kid and didn't know any better that I should have returned/rejected the guitar as defective.

On the forum I complained about the length of warranty, that the warranty was made longer after my purchase. He commented that QC was now better. I said "so you abmit it was worse?"

I posted my experience and he called me a liar. I then posted a picture of my UPS invoice, the work invoice and pics of the guitar. He went off on a rant, then a few days later my post was pulled and I was banned.

It's sad. I love Rickenbacker guitars. I just wish they would have had a decent warranty to stand behind.

My friend has a pretty rare re-issue 325/12 and my understanding is that John Hall was really cool about production of this limited guitar and sold through a private "dealer".

I don't know what to think. Maybe there are 2 John Halls!?

Piotr, RomanS and Steve Holt like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I hate Tapatalk but it’s the only way to do UMGF. There are a lotta good and very knowledgeable guitar people on there, so it’s still one of be internet mainstays.

aadvark likes this.
  13. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Haven’t been there in a few years. Not a fan of tapatalk - at - all.

14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

Umgf is the noise one of those old fellers makes when he tries to get up from his barcalounger.

15. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

I was one of those old farts over at umgf, still log in occasionally, hate tapatalk!
    its more fun for me here.

there are some great people there with a wealth of knowledge.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

No doubt. The cost benefit doesn't meet my expectations, because of the equal talent and resources on TDPRI, TGP, LPF, AK, Talkbass, SOTW, and a bunch others, and that's just *music* forums....haven't even touched my other hobbies. Yes, I'd like to spend more time studying flattops and Martins with other like minded owners, but the tax makes its less productive, so I'd rather spend more quality time with a core topic outside flattops, than 25% yield time, on Martins.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It’s a wonder that Rickenbacker is not dead. They are the worst marketers in the guitar industry. It’s a stodgy old company making niche guitars. It lives off of its history with the Beatles, Petty, Byrds etc. They’re pricey and, at one time, did not have a great reputation for customer service.

bricksnbeatles and RomanS like this.
  18. Steve Holt

While all of that is true one thing I love about Rickenbacker is that there aren't 8 different Rickenbacker 4003 bass guitars at different price points. They have different model releases over the years sure, but if you're looking for a 4003 bass or a 360 guitar, every single one of there was built in the same place to the same standard.

Shopping for a jazz bass? You have to question is an Indonesian better than a Chinese better than a Korean better than a Mexican better than a Japanese better than an American made one. And that variety is great too because it offers so many price points that include everyone that want it.

Rickenbacker has their niche. They know they can produce X guitars per day and they'll sell. And I definitely commend them for going this long without selling out or compromising quality to sell more units.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I take the opposite approach. I wouldn't want to see them replicate Fender's model which is too convoluted, bloated and confusing: Squier, MIM, MIA. On the other hand Taylor has a great model. They have their American made guitars and those made in Mexico, offering differing price points but quality at both. I think Martin is trying to replicate that. Taylor's model allows them to offer a "gateway" instrument for younger or new buyers. If they become hooked they will upgrade. If not, Taylor has sold one more instrument than they would have.
    Rickenbacker could offer a limited line of MIM models at more a user friendly price point. Would it cannibalize their premium line? Possibly. Or perhaps they could sell more which could lead to folks upgrading to a USA made instrument. I don't know. Perhaps the Ric would lose its mystique and it would kill its business.
    I owned a 620-12. I loved sound but the neck was thin and the string spacing nearly unmanageable unless you had the hands of a ballerina. Restringing a 12 is a hassle but Ric makes it harder with that crappy bridge design. I can't the quality was great. The seams in the body were plainly evident and was not indicative of great workmanship.
    You're right. They sell all that they make and they're fat and happy.

Steve Holt likes this.
  20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Lots of good info over there and I look around regularly.
    I’m registered, but have only posted a couple times.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.