I spotted a "Johnson by AXL" telecaster at a local pawn shop today. They wanted $99 for it, but I talked smack about it, and picked it up for $74. It looks brand new. There are no pick scratches at all on the pick guard, not even light ones. The high E string was missing, and there were a few scratches on the back of the body, in two areas that are clearly not buckle rash. There are also kind of deep scratches in the neck mounting plate. The body looks to be three-piece ash (I could be wrong about that but the grain looks like ash) with some pretty nice figuring. The natural finish is also very nice. The neck is solid maple with some light figuring. One of the knobs had some light pitting in the chrome on top, but it all came out and shined back up with some fine steel wool. The neck was had a little too much relief in it, but I went over to the tool area and dug through the allen wrenches until I found the right size. About 3/4 of a turn straightened it right out, plus it validated that the trussrod works. The nut is cheap, plastic ****. The slots are clearly molded in and never touched by a file. Plus it appears to be installed slightly crooked, with the low-E side a bit too high. the tuners are cheap, but functional. The five strings on it tuned up fine and seemed to stay in tune as I punished them for losing their little brother. All of the electronics worked, but the pickups were terribly microphonic. Especially the bridge pickup. I took it apart this evening, and as expected the pots are the tiny, cheapo, dime-sized Chinese pots. The pickups are pretty cheap, ceramic crap, so they'll be replaced. I'll pry keep them for a cigar box or oilcan guitar project, but they aren't good enough for a real guitar. The frets all looked good, but they didn't spend much time on them at the factory. They were level and even but the ends were sharp and the edge of the fretboard wasn't rounded well. I dressed the fret ends with a file, and used various grits of sanding blocks to clean the edges of the fretboard up. It's smooth as velvet and feels great now. The bridge is one of the cheaper ones that also serves as a tailpiece. It is not strung through the body. I have ordered a new tusq nut, and some ferrules so that I can do the string-through body thing That was ~$20. I also installed copper shielding in the cavities ToDo: I need to order new pickups, and new pots. I may also order an anodized aluminum scratch-plate if I can find one in a dark bronze. I am also looking for a bridge/control plate set in a dark bronzey color that will match the scratch-plate. Here are some pics that I took at a local hamburger restaurant after picking it up, while waiting for my wife to join me for lunch.