I Grabbed a Johnson Today!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by pblanton, Dec 13, 2019.

1. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

I spotted a "Johnson by AXL" telecaster at a local pawn shop today. They wanted $99 for it, but I talked smack about it, and picked it up for $74. It looks brand new. There are no pick scratches at all on the pick guard, not even light ones. The high E string was missing, and there were a few scratches on the back of the body, in two areas that are clearly not buckle rash. There are also kind of deep scratches in the neck mounting plate.

The body looks to be three-piece ash (I could be wrong about that but the grain looks like ash) with some pretty nice figuring. The natural finish is also very nice. The neck is solid maple with some light figuring. One of the knobs had some light pitting in the chrome on top, but it all came out and shined back up with some fine steel wool.

The neck was had a little too much relief in it, but I went over to the tool area and dug through the allen wrenches until I found the right size. About 3/4 of a turn straightened it right out, plus it validated that the trussrod works. The nut is cheap, plastic ****. The slots are clearly molded in and never touched by a file. Plus it appears to be installed slightly crooked, with the low-E side a bit too high. the tuners are cheap, but functional. The five strings on it tuned up fine and seemed to stay in tune as I punished them for losing their little brother.

All of the electronics worked, but the pickups were terribly microphonic. Especially the bridge pickup. I took it apart this evening, and as expected the pots are the tiny, cheapo, dime-sized Chinese pots. The pickups are pretty cheap, ceramic crap, so they'll be replaced. I'll pry keep them for a cigar box or oilcan guitar project, but they aren't good enough for a real guitar.

The frets all looked good, but they didn't spend much time on them at the factory. They were level and even but the ends were sharp and the edge of the fretboard wasn't rounded well. I dressed the fret ends with a file, and used various grits of sanding blocks to clean the edges of the fretboard up. It's smooth as velvet and feels great now.

The bridge is one of the cheaper ones that also serves as a tailpiece. It is not strung through the body.

I have ordered a new tusq nut, and some ferrules so that I can do the string-through body thing That was ~$20. I also installed copper shielding in the cavities

ToDo:
    I need to order new pickups, and new pots. I may also order an anodized aluminum scratch-plate if I can find one in a dark bronze. I am also looking for a bridge/control plate set in a dark bronzey color that will match the scratch-plate.

Here are some pics that I took at a local hamburger restaurant after picking it up, while waiting for my wife to join me for lunch.

IMG_20191213_143113.jpg IMG_20191213_143100.jpg
    IMG_20191213_143125.jpg IMG_20191213_143129.jpg
    IMG_20191213_144120.jpg IMG_20191213_143133.jpg
    IMG_20191213_143204.jpg IMG_20191213_143141.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

“I punished them for losing their little brother”

That’s classic

Now let’s talk about your thread title;)

Happy new guitar day , looks like a good foundation

howardlo, Kebmel and pblanton like this.
  3. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

I love Freddie’s. Nice guitar

pblanton likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow, you did even better than I did. Oh wait, that’s US dollars. I guess we’re even. And I came home with six rusty strings, so maybe I win.

Nice score, anyway!

pblanton likes this.
  5. Loaded Goat

Loaded Goat TDPRI Member

Very nice...excellent find!! I have an Xaviere XV-820 butterscotch telecaster I've only had a few days. Still thinking about what I might want to do to it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    pblanton likes this.
  6. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I played a couple of AXL "strat style" guitars that were really not bad at all. A little heavy for my taste (I like lightweights) but good value for the dollars they were asking. I still prefer my partscasters which look better, play WAY better, and were cheaper to build. Plus I'll never see another just like any of them. Don't know why that matters, but I like it.

pblanton likes this.
  7. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

I little click-baity, I know; but it kind of wrote itself!

Deathray likes this.
  8. pblanton

pblanton TDPRI Member

What's not to like about Freddies!?!

YALCaster likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I got a Strat made by them that sounds pretty good. The pickups were made for them by EMG(Passive ceramic mag types).
    Got it for free while haggling with a pawnshop owner that wouldn't lower the price on a M72 Bluesbird I wanted. They had it listed for $40, but it's worth more than that IMO. Just as good as the 07' Squier Bullet Strat I picked up recently.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Good score. Kudos for the rock out with your Johnson out pics in the burger joint too.:)

pblanton likes this.
  11. jbensaab

jbensaab TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Not bad!

pblanton likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

I would comment, but that would be no different from standing next to a total stranger at a line of urinals and saying, "That's a nice watch."

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

they'll grow on you... if you are lucky and have the right touch.

14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I seem to be the only one that assumed that a thread entitled "I grabbed a Johnson today" was NOT about guitars but instead a new lifestyle announcement...

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nope, you're just the only one that articulated it in a post.

Deathray likes this.
  16. Frodebro

I see what you did there, Blind Lemon Jefferson...

jrblue and drlucky like this.
  17. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

So now you're "coming out" about it?

18. getbent

it seemed to have reared his what appears to be angry helmet... and who knew about the whole deutchland thing!

Rufus likes this.
  19. Frodebro

Oh my

20. getbent

drlucky and pblanton like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.